Would you change career if you were in my place?

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:58 am
Most of the people recommend not to switch to a different career or different field after having couple of years of experience in a particular field. Would you switch to a new career if you are not satisfied with current job or get a better job offer?

At initial times of career, I accepted a job offer because I desperately needed that job, but I knew at that time that it's not my dream job. I had around an year of experience in this field. Later I got a job offer from the field I dreamt of. Should I change my career? Will that affect my resume as it will add experiences from two totally diverse fields?

Any suggestions/advice is accepted and appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:04 am
@anathames,
I've changed my career several times. At some point, you do have to settle on something, mainly because otherwise you'll be stuck at entry level pay forever and at some point your bills may overrun your salary by too much.

But if you are young and have very little commitment to your current field, go for it. It will be considerably tougher if you have a mortgage or are saving for a child's education.
Mame

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:19 am
@anathames,
We all need to be fulfilled and if you're not in the right job, you should change it. I knew a man who had several successful careers . He was a real estate agent, among other things, then he became a lawyer in his late 40s, and then he was an artist. He had a very fulfilling life.

I also have changed my 'career' several times and completely enjoyed each change.

You spend half your waking hours at work - it's essential that you're getting something out of it besides your pay. You only get this one life, so make the most of it. And don't be scared to make changes. Do what feels right.
anathames

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:22 pm
@Mame,
"You only get this one life, so make the most of it. And don't be scared to make changes. Do what feels right."
Nice lines Mame,Thanks a lot for your advice.

Considering this I had also thought of making a career change, but then I found that decision risky one. But now I think taking risks for doing something good to yourself is worthy enough if it's going to bring you work satisfaction. Hope I do well.
0 Replies

anathames

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:32 pm
@jespah,
Very true jespah that a career change can cost you less harm if you are new to the current field and not satisfied with the job you are doing. But if you are in a field for years together and are under the burden of responsibilities, then career change can be little dangerous.
Thanks for your advice.
Mame

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:43 pm
@anathames,
well, you don't give any information about yourself that would get you better advice. Like how old are you? What's your education and your position? What is the job situation in your field where you live?

You can't ask vague questions and expect right-on answers.
0 Replies