Please Please Help Me Choose

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 04:42 pm
Please help me. I am very stressed and dont know what to choose. I have 2 different job options and I am torn apart between them. The first option is to teach in a remote fly-in First Nations community where accommodations and utilities are provided by the school. This community has no roads and only dirt roads, and only 1 very expensive grocery store (thats all and nothing else). The second option is to teach in a 2 hours away community from my city and home, where nothing is provided by the school so I would have to get my own accommodation there. It is a rural area without much to do either but it has proper roads and not dirt roads and is close to my city and family.

which option should I choose? Please help me out I dont know what to do here.

thanks so much
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 588 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 04:58 pm
@Nora1333,
Is the pay and benefits the same?

What is more important to you ...pay or location?

Also the actual job itself if all else were equal is one preferred over the other?

Write down the pros and cons on each and what is most important . seeing it written down may help you decide.

It's hard for us to decide as only you know what us most important to you.
Nora1333

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 05:39 pm
@Linkat,
To me family and money are important. Thats why I cant seem to decide. Which one would you choose?
Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 05:53 pm
@Nora1333,
Nora1333 wrote:

To me family and money are important. Thats why I cant seem to decide. Which one would you choose?

Which pays you more ... Also considering in the benefits ...which is easier to go back and forth to your famiky?
Nora1333

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:09 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks for your reply! Option 1 pays more and option 2 is closer to my family. Thats why I am so torn between the two😔
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 06:31 pm
@Nora1333,
I think you also need to think about what is best for the remote community. Teaching on such communities is not for everyone and it is a very important role in terms of how well children do when they often start behind the eight ball anyway.

How well do you do in getting on with others in close quarters? How are you at respecting customs and social rules that may differ from those you are accustomed to?

Do you have an opportunity to visit both communities and schools to get a sense of how you might fit in and contribute?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 07:46 pm
@Nora1333,
Nora1333 wrote:

Thanks for your reply! Option 1 pays more and option 2 is closer to my family. Thats why I am so torn between the two😔

Ok so how easy is it to get back to your family with option 1? Would you be able to go back say for long weekends?

Which actual job would you prefer if all else is equal?

How about potential for family to visit you?

Which is better for your longer term career goals?
Also consider questions you may have ..you could follow up with either place...also you could go back to option two and she if they would up the salary if that is that is holding you back from that selection.
0 Replies