Moby Dick Pt. 2

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:07 pm
Thanks everybody for interesting answers!
I now happen to have a new problem with the same book...perhaps someone can advise me.
In Ch. 9 the priest is giving a sermon concerning the prophet Jonah, and in the latter part of it he says:
Quote:
Then God spake unto the fish; and from the shuddering cold and blackness of the sea, the whale came breeching up towards the warm and pleasant sun, and all the delights of air and earth;...

I'd be grateful to know the meaning and possibly etymology of the form 'breeching' in this situation. I haven't found it in any dictionary yet.
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 600 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:15 pm
It means the whale emerged through the surface.

A term that may help you understand it is "breech birth", a term for when the baby emerges butt first.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:22 pm
Here's a picture of a whale breeching, eric:

http://www.steelheadrest.com/images/Boat%20Gallery/Whale%20Breech%205X3.jpg
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:24 pm
You might also consider alternative spellings, especially when reading a book written that many years ago. I found this at Merriam-Webster Online (www.m-w.com):
Quote:
Main Entry: breach
Pronunciation: 'brEch
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English breche, from Old English br[AE]c act of breaking; akin to Old English brecan to break
1 : infraction or violation of a law, obligation, tie, or standard
2 a : a broken, ruptured, or torn condition or area b : a gap (as in a wall) made by battering
3 a : a break in accustomed friendly relations b : a temporary gap in continuity : HIATUS
4 : a leap especially of a whale out of water

"Breech" was probably acceptable at the time, but now "breach" is the preferred spelling for this meaning.
0 Replies