Leon Panetta Predicts Israel Will Bomb Iran This Spring (2012)

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:45 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Given their history where they had even had attacked a US naval spy ship flying a US flag killing US sailors and gotten alway with it good luck on limiting their actions because of fear of what the US might do afterward to them.

That was a case of mistaken ID. That happens in war.

The US does it more than Israel does.
BillRM

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 11:21 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

LOL and BULLSHIT..............on the mistaken ID story.

The ship was clearly mark and flying a US flag in daylight.

They knew just what the hell they was attacking.

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 11:39 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Oralloy wrote:

LOL and BULLSHIT..............on the mistaken ID story.

Even if they recognized the flag, the ship looked very similar to a specific Egyptian ship, and there was no way of knowing that the Egyptians were not deliberately flying the wrong flag.

And in any case, sometimes people see what isn't there. I recall sometime around 1993 when there was a no fly zone in Iraq, some American F15's killed a couple Black Hawks full of aid workers because they thought they were those giant Soviet attack helicopters.

EDIT: This is the event I was referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Black_Hawk_shootdown_incident
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 01:30 am

We will then have good reason for gratitude toward Israel.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 06:27 am
@oralloy,
If was an excused and a poor one indeed that the sailors aboard the US ship that survived the attack with the many passes of the warplanes never did buy but feel free to do so it you care to.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 06:24 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I hate to say this but, like a broken clock, Bill is actually right for once.

Quote:
Attack survivors contacted in 2007, by John M. Crewdson for a Chicago Tribune article about the attack, "to a man" rejected Israel's mistaken identity explanation. Lt. Gen. Marshall Carter, the director of the NSA, told Congress that the attack "couldn't be anything else but deliberate." The deputy director of the NSA, Louis Tordella, stated that the attack "might have been ordered by some senior [Israeli] commander on the Sinai Peninsula who wrongly suspected that the LIBERTY was monitoring his activities."

What was going on in the Sinai penisula was not in keeping with the Geneva Convention. Israel had very good reason for not wanting the truth to come out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident
djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 07:11 am
Leon Panetta Predicts Israel Will Bomb Iran This Spring (2012)

i think we should support israel by sending them pancetta

and lobster milkshakes
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 07:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
There is another deterrent against attack: not being a rogue nation in the first place.

And "rogue nation" means???

To some, it means not doing what the United Nations indicates is rogue...which would often make the United States a rogue nation.

Most of the time when used here in the United States, not being a "rogue nation" means--doing whatever we say we want you to do.

Since you seem to think the problem can be solved in a simple way: Which do you see "rogue nation" to be.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 07:56 am

In 1981, when Israel destroyed Saddam's nuclear production facility,
I remained silent. I hope that thay did not deem me an ingrate.

If thay wipe out Iran ' s nuclear production facility,
I guess I shud send them something; at least a thank u note. My city is a sea port.

David
BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 08:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
. My city is a sea port.

I wish the hell I could find the 1940s short story by Heinlein of New York being wiped out by a nuke hidden on a ship in the New York City harbor.

Poor New York always on the top of the target list in fiction and in real life.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:10 am
@BillRM,
DAVID wrote:
My city is a sea port.
BillRM wrote:
I wish the hell I could find the 1940s short story by Heinlein
of New York being wiped out by a nuke hidden on a ship in the New York City harbor.

Poor New York always on the top of the target list in fiction and in real life.
Maybe Atta found that story, Bill.
He 'd have nuked us, if he coud have.

Heinlein was a brilliant mind.

Iran is now working to enhance the goals of the Moslems.

We need to think of self defense.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 11:12 am
@izzythepush,
This is why Israel didn't want the USS Liberty listening in to what they were doing.

Quote:
Three days after Israel had launched the six- day war, Egyptian prisoners in the Sinai had become a nuisance. There was no place to house them, not enough Israelis to watch them, and few vehicles to transport them to prison camps. But there was another way to deal with them.

As the Liberty sat within eyeshot of El Arish, eavesdropping on surrounding communications, Israeli soldiers turned the town into a slaughterhouse, systematically butchering their prisoners. An eyewitness recounted how in the shadow of the El Arish mosque, they lined up about 60 unarmed Egyptian prisoners, hands tied behind their backs, and then opened fire with machine guns until the pale desert sand turned red.

This and other war crimes were just some of the secrets Israel had sought to conceal since the start of the conflict. An essential element in the Israeli battle plan seemed to have been to hide much of the war behind a carefully constructed curtain of lies: lies about the Egyptian threat, lies about who started the war, lies to the US president, lies to the UN Security Council, lies to the press, lies to the public. Thus, as the American naval historian Dr Richard K Smith noted, "any instrument which sought to penetrate this smoke screen so carefully thrown around the normal 'fog of war' would have to be frustrated".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/aug/08/israel?INTCMP=SRCH
BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 11:37 am
@izzythepush,
I question if the US would had make public any such actions by the Israel as in some military situations the killing of prisoners and or not allowing surrenders is done by almost all militaries including the US and England for that matter.

If you are for example part of a small and fast moving raiding force there is no way you can take prisoners.

No matter what the international laws are life tend to be cheap at the sharp end of a conflict and military necessaries is what tend to rule.

Footnote soldiers manning machines guns that was overrun or anyone carrying a flame thrower was hardly ever allow to surrender in either world wars.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 12:00 pm
@BillRM,
The difference is, the soldiers had already surrendered, and been taken prisoner. They were not trying to surrender. As such it is a war crime, but if you want to twist the facts to fit in with your own internal narrative, then go ahead. It's what you usually do.
BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 03:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They were not trying to surrender. As such it is a war crime, but if you want to twist the facts to fit in with your own internal narrative, then go ahead. It's what you usually do.

Sorry but there is zero difference between shooting men with their arms up in the air to surrender or shooting them a short time later.

Both are so call war crimes...............................
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 03:20 pm
@BillRM,
One can be dismissed as something that happens in the heat of battle, the other is cold blooded and premeditated, but you want to be contrary for contraryness' sake.

The fact is, events did not occur as you described them, so all the mitigation in your last post counts for nothing.

Like a lot of your posts.
BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 04:34 pm
@izzythepush,
LOL I never knew that you get a free pass if you committed a "war crime" during battles.

As far as not addressing the issue I was addressing the claims you posted and was giving it far more credit then it likely deserve for the purpose of the thread discussion.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 04:40 pm
@BillRM,
No you weren't, you looked at what I posted then you warped it into something else. The source in The Guardian clearly states that captured prisoners of war were executed, you started talking about people killed in raiding parties. It's not the same thing at all.

It's interesting that you get all hot and bothered about the Israeli assault on an American vessel, until you find out that it's to cover up a war crime. Then you seem to be quite happy about it. That shows what sort of person you are.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 07:05 pm

Its only giving aid n comfort to the enemy
to be advising them of when it shud be expected.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 07:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
oralloy wrote:
There is another deterrent against attack: not being a rogue nation in the first place.

And "rogue nation" means???

Causing trouble with the international community. Engaging in terrorism. Breaking the law. Trying to conquer the world. Committing war crimes. Generally being a troublemaker.

Frank Apisa wrote:
To some, it means not doing what the United Nations indicates is rogue...which would often make the United States a rogue nation.

The only part of the UN that counts is the Security Council. The rest is infested with anti-Semites.

The US does not violate Security Council resolutions.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Most of the time when used here in the United States, not being a "rogue nation" means--doing whatever we say we want you to do.

That is sort of reversing cause and effect.

They are not rogue nations because we oppose them.

We oppose them because they are rogue nations.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Since you seem to think the problem can be solved in a simple way: Which do you see "rogue nation" to be.

Causing trouble with the international community. Engaging in terrorism. Breaking the law. Trying to conquer the world. Committing war crimes. Generally being a troublemaker.