Desexing Rabbits

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:33 am
Well, apart from the dogs and a cat, I have two lop rabbits, brothers.

They would be about 14 months old. Jet, is double the size, as he chaced KD, around for months... They didn't fight persay... Anyways we got im desexed and he still chanced KD.. But, no hope of trying to hump him anymore which was another gross clean up problem.

Lately, I "thought" a cat had gotten into the pen, noting a few marks on both of their ears.. It's a large concrete floor with two large cages and toys etc, all picket fenced in.

Today I caught KD, the small one, kicking and pushing and then finally biting real hard not letting go of his brother.. I picked KD up and he was still hanging on for life. Jet is in one of the cages and has been there all day, KD, was locked in the other one.

Now, my question is, if anyone knows... If I get KD desexed will this stop this new situation or do you feel that's only for the typical rabbit "humping" sides of things and there is now a war and I'll have to build a middle fence and gate and keep them apart?

Fanks if anyone has any thoughts ...

I will be keeping them apart anyway with one locked away and the other one free, visa versa for now.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,606 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:41 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Let me pretend you asked about cats instead of rabbits.

No. Once they are full grown, neutering will discourage them, but only somewhat.

Sorry I don't know about rabbits.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:43 am
@FOUND SOUL,
This seems to be more about introducing a second rabbit rather than about sibblings, but perhaps it will help.

http://www.janasvetcentre.com.au/rabbits.html

Quote:
Should I get one rabbit or two?

Rabbits are generally much happier in pairs. After all wouldn't you like to have someone to talk to? They not only groom each other, keeping hard to reach places clean, they also tend to take it in turns to look out for any dangers. Often one will be the sentry while the other takes a nap.

Having said that, it can be difficult to bond two rabbits. It is not rare, that they fight when first introduced until one rabbit is deemed to be the dominant rabbit of the pair. As you can imagine, this can be quite a problem with two headstrong bossy rabbits. Some rabbit owners are lucky as their rabbit is very accepting of a new friend. It’s therefore a good idea to get two rabbits from the same litter as they will be less likely to fight.
Should I desex my rabbit?

Female rabbits should be desexed to prevent development of uterine cancer as there is a high chance of female rabbits contracting the cancer if they are not bred from. If you want to have more than one rabbit, then you will need to desex your rabbits. Two entire male rabbits living together will tend to fight, and two entire female rabbits can often fight just as viciously. An entire male and a desexed female can live together, but the male rabbit may become obsessive about marking his territory (spraying his semen/urine about and very much dirtying his surroundings) He also may annoy the female rabbit by continually mounting her.

Many people find that after their rabbit reaches 4 months of age, their rabbit has started urinating everywhere, mounting objects and has become aggressive towards them, actually lunging and biting.

Desexing rabbits tends to reduce, if not eradicate, this behaviour.

This one agrees:

http://bunniez.hubpages.com/hub/Bunny-Care-Guide-Should-I-DesexNeuterSpay-My-Rabbit

Quote:
However, those issues aside, here are the reasons to spay or neuter your rabbit:

Boy bunnies (or 'bucks' as they are known in the rabbit keeping world) benefit from neutering for much the same reason that dogs and cats and other animals do. They are less aggressive, more likely to snuggle, and less chronically obsessed with sex.
Both male and female rabbits may start the delightful process of spraying to mark their territory at around four months of age, when sexual maturity hits. Suddenly your tiny cuddle bunny turns into an aggressive monster, guarding his or her cage jealously, and marking your house for good measure too. It goes without saying that urine sprayed from your bunny onto your carpeting and walls does not smell spring fresh.

Spayed bunnies are generally more relaxed and calm than their intact friends. Sex drive in rabbits causes all sorts of mad behaviors, and you may very well find that having a bunny that just wants to go out and get busy with anything that moves soon becomes rather tiresome, especially when he or she misinterprets your foot as being a rival seeking to foil its romantic ardor.

Desexing your bunny is an excellent way to ensure that you never get any surprise litters.

Desexed rabbits are also far more likely to be welcoming towards a new companion. It is good for rabbits to have another rabbit to live with, but the process of getting bunnies to be friends can be difficult, even more so if the bunnies are intact and following nature's commands. Bonded rabbits are friends for life, and provide great joy and comfort. Rabbits are notoriously picky about who they bond with however, so make the task easier for yourself and get your bunny fixed.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:44 am
@roger,
Smile

He be so wild and angry, seriously... It's like revenge for all the months he was chased, he's kicking up dirt and everything and such a little thing.. That's why I am thinking what's the point? Seperate them..

Thanks Roger.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:49 am
@Butrflynet,
Hey Butrflynet..

I think I am a bit shocked at the fact that the little one, who was always dominated, has turned so aggressive, that I just figgered he'd had enough..

Thank you heeps, that made total sense, I did see him spray but it looked like urine so the penny didn't drop as he never sprayed before..

Guess, he is a late bloomer maybe? Smile

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 04:29 am
@FOUND SOUL,
So I have booked KD for Tues, Jet for tomorrow I am thinking he needs antibiotics, he has stayed in a cage all day, not like him and let me pat him, pick him up which he only did before was neuted.

KD is stuck I now can't move the latch? Smile Universe.

I've seen animals in the wild killing each other, sorry I got so worried but , I hadnever seen the little one who was always chased, trying to kill.

Lesson learnt both neuted.

Thanks appreciated both replies.

Got it now from here.. Or they will be left seperated if this does not work.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:16 am
send them to dlowan. her cutting wit and sharp tongue will emasculate them far more quickly than going to the vet and no chance of accidental post surgery infection Razz Mr. Green
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:52 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Yeah but her smoking will kill them first:) Just kidding.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:56 am
@FOUND SOUL,

Up-date to self really, venting, or what ever.

So, I took Jet to the Vet, never seen him be so submissive...

He's on antibiotics for 10 days.

Strange the Vet stated that "usually" the bites need stitches, rabbits can bit right through the skin.. The marks she investigated were only superficial wounds and the one where I caught KD really grabbing him, no blood at all?

Even though he's booked in to be desexed, she claimed that now that KD has worked out after all this time he can be the dominant one, there will always be fights.

And, that it will tame him only somewhat.

So, now we are building "another fence" in the middle so they are separated, yet together.

Hope I am doing all the right things...

It feels horrible locking one up, one free at present and swapping.

Vent over to self.

0 Replies