BREAKING NEWS: Ship sinks off Turkey

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 03:13 pm
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/31/us-turkey-ship-idUSTRE80U26A20120131

Cargo ship sinks off Turkey, 8 crew missing

ANKARA (Reuters) - A dry cargo ship sank off the Black Sea coast of Turkey Tuesday and eight members of the 11-strong Polish crew were missing, Turkish media said.

The Cambodian-registered dry cargo ship Vera was sailing from Russia to the Turkish Aegean port of Aliaga and sank in a storm one mile off the coast of the Black Sea port of Zonguldak, CNN Turk said.

Three members of the crew were saved and taken to hospital, the television channel said, but coast guards and police were still searching for the eight others.

Turkey has been hit by extreme weather and snow storms over the past week. There were gale warnings Tuesday for parts of the Marmara, Black Sea and Aegean, a shipping agent said.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,440 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I hope they find someone else alive, poor guys. Doesn't sound like it though.

Sigh.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 08:56 pm
Very sad.

But what's a 'dry' cargo ship? No booze?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I always get peeved by those ships with non-standard registries. You just know there's a potential for trouble.

It's one of the reasons I always stay at the SIHNYC when I'm in NYC - I want to support the mission to the seafarers in the harbour. More attention needs to be paid to them.
roger

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:30 pm
@Mame,
I suspect that 'dry cargo' refers to stuff like grain, coal, and other bulky stuff. I'm sure if it extended to container ships, it would have said so.

Just guessing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I always get peeved by those ships with non-standard registries. You just know there's a potential for trouble.

Unfortunately there's a lot of flags of convenience. Until Western ports refuse to allow ships flying under Liberian and Cambodian flags etc. there will continue to be a lot more accidents.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Absolutely agree with that, izzy. I was rather taken aback to see that a ship of Cambodian registry was manned by Polish sailors!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I was rather taken aback to see that a ship of Cambodian registry was manned by Polish sailors!

I wasn't, but I did do a brief spell in the merchant navy. It's all too common, quite often crews are from poor countries and have very few rights. Filipinos seem to get the most grief.
0 Replies