Such stories ought to be known

blatham

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 07:49 am
Quote:
Ala Dawaya, 21, was on his way to work as a baker when he was shot by Israeli soldiers in the old town of Nablus on 18 December. An ambulance was called and driver Adnan Soso arrived to see the wounded man sitting upright and still alive a few metres from an army Jeep.

'I was called at around 3am to an area known as the onion market,' he said. 'I got there within about three minutes and saw an injured man lying against a wall within metres of an Israeli Jeep.'

He reversed to the end of the street, from where he could still see the injured man and the Jeep. 'Then they started shooting at the man from the Jeep. Every time they shot, the body moved and they waited then shot again, sometimes twice. They shot him about ten times over several minutes,' he said.

Eventually, the shooting stopped and the Jeep allowed the ambulance to approach. 'The man was dead and both his eyeballs were hanging out. I looked at what he had in the black plastic bag next to him. Trousers, shoes and an overall, covered in flour. We put him on a stretcher and got him into the ambulance.

'As we were about to pull away, the Jeep approached. The soldier said: 'Is he dead?' He then asked what was in the bag and I showed him. He asked for the dead man's identification card and spoke on the radio for a few minutes. He then told us to take the body away.'

The ambulance took the body to Rafidia Hospital where it was examined by Dr Samir Abu Zarour. Although not trained in post-mortems, he is the closest thing to an expert in Nablus, having examined 250 shooting victims in the past three years.

'He had been shot between eight and 10 times, including twice in the face and once in the testicles, and had a series of fragmentation wounds in his legs,' he said.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1136426,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,608 • Replies: 23
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 08:54 am
Good thing they got that vicious flour carrier.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:25 am
It never ends.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:03 pm
Bastards!!!!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:05 pm
You are forgetting the mantra: If Israel does it, it's allright. Criticism of Israeli policies/actions is anti-semitic. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:39 pm
I suppose if anyone decided to boycott Israeli electronic products that might be considered anti-schematic?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:41 pm
Vey comma oy!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:48 am
Stories such as this one leave me speechless and numb. I really don't even know what sort of discussion, if any, ought to be initiated. But I wanted to at least have a few more people aware of a story not likely to gain much coverage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:11 am
Good on ya, Blatham.
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:36 am
The story drags me deeper into an abyss of numbness and speechlessness. This is how the world works...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:44 am
Seems to me this absolute atrocity is what happens when hate and fear become longtime partners.
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:15 pm
Why does the US let this stand? Shouldn't the UN at least try to stop it?

Oh... right... my bad, there all still embarresed that they didn't help the Jews during that Holocaust thing. But two wrongs don't make a right, and just because we didn't coem save them, doesn't give them the right to do what ever they bloody well please.

Don't think I'm anti Jew or anything, I'm just anti- "people abusing sympathy".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:33 pm
unknown

I'm afraid the US lets many such incidents stand (Sadaam's gassing of Kurds, for example, was known and it passed without comment. In fact, the US had provided base materials for production of biological agents). The UN (and other bodies such as Human Rights Watch) have spoken out against Israeli acts, but to little effect.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:47 pm
The UN is helpless, because the US is Israel's partner in crime. When is this "sh*t" going to end? Our politicians are also at fault for supporting Israel, and they represent "us."
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 10:58 pm
I'm sorry, my above statement was stated with a hint of sarcasim, I know that we let a lot of things slide.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:41 pm
Holy cr@p, that's one depressing story.

Once again the incomprehensible depths of the capacity for evil in the human race is brought to light.

I personally won't be too surprised should it come to this...
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:08 am
Reading the whole article gave me some context.
Reading a few different articles gave me more context.
I bet if I studied the situation even more, I could get even more context,
and gradually understand how this kind of thing simply happens, and in
certain situations is inevitable regardless of "good" or "evil".

I've seen similar things in real life. I'm sad for the victim and also the soldiers.
I mourn for both societies as they are, on both sides of the conflict.

So many people live in such fear, reacting to and ruled by their fear, blindly fighting whatever and whoever they can with desperate violent measures. This could easily happen in America, or any country, simply by rushing ahead, desperate from our own uninformed fears.

War is full of such stories but we shouldn't dismiss them as just another thing, the work of something incomprehensible. It *is* comprehensible.
It's worth stopping to think. It's worth stopping.
How can we be free of our own insecurities, so we don't behave the same way anymore?

How can we be free -- when it takes courage to think it through and understand?

Good night all.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:10 am
Lost for words.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:44 am
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 01:45 am
unknown_man wrote:
Why does the US let this stand? Shouldn't the UN at least try to stop it?

They do try to stop it. However, the United States has veto power over any resolutions passed againt Isreal. In other words, the UN cannot do anything with respect to Israel unless America agrees. The United States makes liberal use of thier veto power. In fact, the United States has used its veto power to strike down resolutions against Israel more than all other members of the UN have used thier veto power for all other resolutions combined.
0 Replies