jespah

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 08:05 am
@thack45,
Yay!
0 Replies

WendyLou

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:12 am
@thack45,
Oh, I am so very sorry to hear about your puddy tat. I had a black moggy and also a beautiful ragdoll. Both cats beautiful little persons. One morning I walked in to find BJ, the black moggy unable to even get into the kitty litter...he would try and fall over. When I placed him on his feet he stood swaying from side to side. My tears fell onto his back. I lifted him up and put him in the kitty litter and he fell on his side. Bundled him into the car, desperately worried. Left him with the vet and went to the local shopping centre to wait. I think I knew deep down he was in terrible trouble. The vet rang my mobile and said there's nothing we can do. Would you like to come back because his kidneys have shut down and we will discuss what you want to do. I went hysterical in the shopping centre, crying my eyes out. When I got back to the vet BJ was brought in on a towel already sedated. They said I could sit with him for as long as I wanted to. They put BJ on the table and I sang his special song to him for about an hour. I went and got them, having accepted he had to go. They came in and just gave him an overdose of anaesthetic. He died peacefully in my arms. Your cat doesnt' seem to be at this stage and as long as he is not in pain, keep him a little longer. It cost us $650 to have BJs ashes in a little black box with a plaque showing his name. He was 14 years old. My ragdol is 15 years old and hopefully still going strong. But I have to say I dread the day when this one dies too. He's like my shadow and soul mate. It sucks when you love your animals and they die, it really does. I'm sad for you. Let's hope your cat rallies.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 05:37 pm
Pinky just got her first home iv injection... much more painless than upsetting her with a trip to the vet.

Immediately after, she got a delicious turkey breast injection. Mr. Green
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 05:39 pm
@thack45,
Good to hear that you can manage this at home. Good for you and Pinky and Mrs45
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 12:46 pm
@thack45,
How are Pinky and the Thacks doing?
thack45

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 03:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Aww, thanks for thinking of us! Pinky's doing well. Been pretty steady really (no "bad" episodes). And she's still getting sub-q injections every few days.

For the most part she just naps on my (her) chair or in front of the fireplace if it's on. She'll even occasionally play with a toy or our other cat. Shocked
roger

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 10:21 pm
@thack45,
Smile
dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 10:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Smile

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 06:40 pm
Wow, can't believe how long ago that was. But I thought that I should update this thread, as you all were kind enough to offer your thoughts, and reading it through all at once has brought tears to my eyes. Thank you all once again.

At over nineteen years in age, Pinky Floyd passed in October of last year Sad , but made it quite a while longer than I think anyone could've expected. I can't say how many times I thought about Roger's story of his kitty no longer being able to get up on his chair, but old Bubba was a tough one–and a fighter too...

Pink went on for over two years after having made it clear that she'd had enough of the injections, and I took some strange pride in her scaring the bananas out of the vet techs around that same time. The visits were getting to be so upsetting to her though that I promised her; never again. I did end up breaking that promise, but not until the last day that I'd see her.

So on the old girl went, even in to a new house in the summer of '13, a cat who just wanted a lap, or some people food in which to put her nose. It wasn't until late summer of last year that she started getting very finicky about her food. It was difficult because the younger kitty was all too happy to swoop in and munch it up. And for some reason, Pinky had a taste for the young one's food, which she couldn't digest, so there were times when I'd catch both of them eating the other's meal. Laughing

Well it was taking a great deal of effort in order to get Pink to eat, but we had a vacation in Hawaii already booked, so I laid my trepidation aside and we secured someone to look after the girls. It was an absolutely wonderful time, and an experience I'm grateful to have had. But I thought of the kitty often, and sensed that she wasn't doing well without me. And so when we got home from the trip, I looked down at a cat who had lost the ability to make much of a sound in a few years, and with the biggest saucer eyes, she let out such an adamant meow...

Now of course I can never know what she said to me. Maybe she was happy to see us. Maybe she was scared, or just plain mad. Or if I might project a bit, maybe she just wanted to say that she waited. It's impossible to express what she's meant to me through the years, and it pains me so deeply to think of the week that she had while we were thousands of miles away, but she gave us one more of them before we finally had to say goodbye. I am all too lucky to have known her.
dlowan

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 06:48 pm
@thack45,
Oh Thack.

Thank you so much for telling us the rest of her wonderful story.

Schniff.

Hugs
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 06:57 pm
@dlowan,
Thank you for posting. It is a very dear thread, but also useful to others, Thack.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 11:44 pm
Can't sleep, so I thought I'd post a few pics from the past...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10-04%2023.28.28.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11-14%2020.55.30.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10-07%2000.14.47.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10-08%2023.36.11.jpg

And this one is from the night before we said goodbye

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/Mobile%20Uploads/20141003_234341.jpg
Ionus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 12:06 am
Thanks for sharing . I seem to have something in my eye .Cats get get those little claws right into your heart and never let go . We just lost a cat of 15 years, and my two youngest boys had known it all their lives . We waited a while and got another cat, a recycled one from the pound . It isnt a replacement, but it is important to continue and cats can be such a joy . I hope you can get another cat for everyone's benefit . Those are lovely photos to have to remember by .

Best wishes .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 12:09 am
@thack45,
Good looking and very alert cat.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 07:28 am
Thanks guys. She was a good girl and sweet heart to the very end

I don't think we discussed another cat much. Mrs45 actually grew up with dogs most of her life, and since we've been together has always kind of wanted one, but I have never been in to the idea, at all. And years ago, we did get Sophie to be her cat, but the damned thing has always preferred me, and when Pinky left, she wasted no time in taking up my vacated lap and legs in bed.

Once this past January I did mention to the the wife that if she still wanted a pup, we could start to consider maybe thinking about it... possibly–I mean, that's a really serious commitment, and a ton of time and work. So with a great deal of critical rumination over logistics and such ahead of us, I'd say it was all of about six hours more before we were the owners of an eight week Boston terrier. Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 07:35 am
@thack45,
There will be more picture taking involved too..

Y'know, this is going to make Region Philbus's day.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 08:02 am
I have certainly made full use of the advancements in phone memory capacity. I've uploaded a few pics of the doggie to photobucket, and will post them here shortly..
0 Replies