spendius

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 06:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
I pay you attention when you offer an opportunity to say something opportune.
JTT

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 07:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It just become too boring to listen to.

Too distressing you mean, CI. This is some grand diversion you've come up with, you Good little American.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:35 am
@spendius,
Don't you think you're being a bit opportunistic?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 16 Nov, 2012 09:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

i just voted straight R, the reason being that I will vote out every person who sits in washington until and unless this crew indicates to me that they understand who they work for.

This is utter proof that your not LEFT like you claim ad nauseum. Who the FRACKING HELL is right of you if the Republicans are considered left/liberal under your alleged political eyes or do you absolutely KNOW NOTHING ABOUT POLITICS and the political spectrum and the course of political science and political theory and political history for the past two to three hundred years?!

You're worse a DELUSIONAL liar then H2O or Finn. And that's absolutely the worst insult I can wreak upon any member here at a2k.
hawkeye10

Fri 16 Nov, 2012 09:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
i sit in a liberal state, so the incumbents tend to have D's. if i lived in some other places I would have voted straight D.
Frank Apisa

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:38 am
@hawkeye10,
I fail to understand one thing about your reasoning, Hawkeye (and the reasoning of so many others who think as you do)...and perhaps you can clear it up for me.

You seem to want the politicians to do "what the people want them to do."

How can anyone do that when significant numbers of people seem to want the exact opposite of what ohters want on so many important issues?

How, for instance, can the politicians do "what the people want them to do"...on the issue of abortion?

How do they do "what the people want them to do" on the issue of gay marriage?

How can they do "what the people want them to do" on the myriad economic issues with which they are confronted?

How?
revelette

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 09:06 am
Wonder what David would make of this:

http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Obama-Voters-Not-Welcome-2.jpg
Southwest Shooting Authority of Arizona Tells Obama Voter to Get Lost

Quote:
Pinetop, AZ --(Ammoland.com)- To Whom it May Concern: I thought you all might be interested in this.

We will try to demonstrate once again that the bottom line for our business is principle, not money.

Yes, it has been damaging at times but our values are intact.

Effective immediately, if you voted for Obama, your money is no good here. You have proven beyond a doubt that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm. We have just put a sign up on the front door to save you the trouble of walking all the way in hereā€¦.

I took this ad out in our local paper. It will come out in the White Mountain Independent tomorrow, 9 November

Sincerely,
Cope Reynolds

source

spendius

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 10:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
You are misunderstanding Frank.

They can't. But many pretend that they can in order to have a subject to be an expert on. Or to use to row their boat ashore.

They are in that stage that Mr Madoff's investors were in when they were going around recommending investing in his schemes.
spendius

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 10:34 am
@spendius,
You might bear in mind Frank that there is no branch or department of the humanities in which the substantial middle-class citizen is not competent to act as guide, philosopher and friend, whether in his or her own estimation or that of those idiotic enough to share it, --in art and literature, in church and state, in science and education, in law and morals or regarding any other matters to which the transient attention is applied.

And nowhere does such a substantial citizen stand higher and more secure as the container of the civic virtues than in a mature democracy. And as America is the most matured of democracies it is to be expected that such competence as heretofore mentioned will be exercised with unremitting diligence in that country rather more than anywhere else.
spendius

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 10:47 am
@spendius,
It has been said Frank, and quite rightly imo, that America stands at the apex of cultural growth among the peoples of Christendom. It is only natural that the substantial citizens standing in such an exalted position will have much to say for and of themselves. It is only natural.

0 Replies

JTT

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 11:31 am
@revelette,
The comments illustrate just how many finnian/h2omanian wackos there are in the US.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 11:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Its easy Frank. Hawkeye's word is the word of the people. Just ask him.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:29 pm
I saw a bit of film on the News with Mr Obama reprieving a turkey.

Only 308, 475, 998 to go. (that's a 1% joke.)
reasoning logic

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:37 pm
@spendius,
Spendius don't you need to carve a turkey at the pub or at the bottom line today? Laughing
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 04:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You seem to want the politicians to do "what the people want them to do."
i want leaders to lead, but only after followers have consented to the mission.

Quote:
How can anyone do that when significant numbers of people seem to want the exact opposite of what ohters want on so many important issues?
we are a split nation. in that case the FIRST mission for leaders is to get to a majority decision. the problem with current so called leaders of all stripes is that they have taken the nation being split as an excuse to not only wage war on their political opponents but to also lie to the people in the attempt to get what they want. this is not leadership, this is gangsterism.

Quote:
How, for instance, can the politicians do "what the people want them to do"...on the issue of abortion?
this is decided...we want it possible to get but not easy to get, we dont want it to be a regular form of birth control, we want it to be an emergency remedy for when birth control fails.

Quote:
How do they do "what the people want them to do" on the issue of gay marriage?
they wait for a majority to form, on one side or the other

Quote:
How can they do "what the people want them to do" on the myriad economic issues with which they are confronted
a more difficult problem as people generally have no knowledge of economics, and the so called experts dont know enough to be experts (they are more correctly educated guessers) . they should however not be tools for the elite, and they should have some sense of the priorities of the people.
cicerone imposter

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
You,
Quote:
Quote:
How can they do "what the people want them to do" on the myriad economic issues with which they are confronted
a more difficult problem as people generally have no knowledge of economics, and the so called experts dont know enough to be experts (they are more correctly educated guessers) . they should however not be tools for the elite, and they should have some sense of the priorities of the people.

Economics is a topic that is difficult to have any consensus, because it's an art. That's the reason why so-called expert Economists disagree about any one topic.

Conservatives believe lowering taxes for the rich will trickle down to the middle class, because they assume that rich people create jobs. They don't.

Liberals believe it's okay to tax everybody "equally" to benefit the citizens of this country, but they really don't know how to spend money efficiently enough to benefit all Americans.

Between the two, I'm sort of in the middle. I believe in self-sufficiency, small government intrusion into private lives, and providing equal opportunity for all - with our education, infrastructure, universal health care, and limited self defense of our country.

Both parties refuse to compromise on how to fix social security, Medicare, and ObamaCare. There are many simple solutions if they attack the problem now rather than waiting until it becomes a crisis - like the fiscal cliff.

Since our government is "broken," I don't expect much cooperation in doing anything productive for this country.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 08:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Both parties refuse to compromise on how to fix social security, Medicare, and ObamaCare. There are many simple solutions if they attack the problem now rather than waiting until it becomes a crisis -

damn you are delusional...the first alarms went off on SS around 1980, they have so far been ignored. the first alarms over health care spending went off around 1970, and there we at least attempted a fix, that being HMO's which failed to be the fix. since then nothing.

we are way way past simple relatively painless solutions.
cicerone imposter

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 08:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not delusional; the government is! In 1980, the social security trust fund had enough money to last through 2050 or so. It is currently estimated that the trust fund will run out in 2033 - plenty of time to act.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:30 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Spendius don't you need to carve a turkey at the pub or at the bottom line today? Laughing

Don't talk rot, it's just another day over here.
spendius

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 06:17 am
@izzythepush,
It's just another day in the US as well if the spiritual aspect of Thanksgiving is set aside. I dare say that there are many Americans who don't celebrate the day but we never hear from them. We only hear from those making a big deal out of their ceremonial doings which have been organised for them by the priests of business enterprise in respect of turkey production, cranberry growers, table furniture manufactures and energy producers.

I read about a lady who dressed all in black on Thanksgiving day and set herself in a 24 hour vigil of fasting and penitence on the Town Hall steps.

0 Replies