Builder

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:10 am
@dlowan,
Didn't Donald bouffant try to buy himself a shot at the prez job?
dlowan

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:49 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Didn't Donald bouffant try to buy himself a shot at the prez job?

Ringing a bell. Would have been even worse than W!
Builder

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:57 am
@dlowan,
I can just see him tweeting away there.

He needs someone to come along and tell him "you're fired".
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:34 am
I just tried to watch a bit of Foxnews to see if I could catch Rovexplosion. Caught some O'Reilly Factor with a super panel of conservative women.

One commented that younger voters drifted to Obama on issues that concerned them - gay marriage, student finances. Another one said they should care about the economy and getting a job. The first one said, 'You're missing the point I'm making, this what they are concerned about' the other kept trying to talk over the top of her saying 'The economy is much more important'.

Just to reiterate, they were both conservative/republican. I think that spelt out what's been brewing and what will continue to divide that side of politics. There's a thinking section and a feeling section and they don't join up. I am very interested in whether the repubs turn their backs on the tea party side of their family to try and reach out to groups they've marginalised (in the political dialogue) or whether they think the problem was that they weren't far enough right.
Region Philbis

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:45 am

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/121107074240-obama-victory-hp-06-live-video.jpg

4 more years and kicky!
Builder

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 04:55 am
@hingehead,
There's so many ways to "be" American, that we can only surmise and postulate, but I'll have my two-bob's worth, I s'pose.

When I put myself in the position of having to decide on a future for my imaginary American offspring, I'd be looking at the huge debt ceiling (remember that congress almost said "let's fold, we're outta here" on the debt debate, and it's not long until again that debate will have to take place. Will the prez allow the fed res to run the presses, and prop up the banks again? Or does he have any say in that matter at all? Interest rates can't fall any further than zero. Something has to give. No bubbles left to burst are there?

The prez, despite appearances, is no more or less warloving than the last one, the difference being that the VP played a more active role, last time. We hardly hear a peep from the veep this time around. Not that I'm complaining. Cheney never once found favour with me or mine.

On the T-potty, when I found out that the Koch bro criminal syndicate were behind the movement, it was clear that the right needed to distance themselves severely from the happy brigade, and negate any influence from them at all. That was a fail all around.

The Koch bros are killers. There's no escaping facts. The T-potty are the Koch's arms and legs in the community. A poison seeping into society, just like their factories are poisoning communities across America.

There's where your failure lies, people. Address your real issues. Out these killers, and take back your EPA and FDA. Both agencies are corrupted totally, and acting like a gestapo movement within your borders.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:10 am
@sozobe,
Remember how depressed everyone was in mid-October?

sozobe wrote:

Some more thoughts on this and the election in general:

After the 47% thing, Obama's campaign was looking very, very good. He was getting big leads in lots of places, I started seeing the word "landslide," Intrade and Nate Silver and such had him as the overwhelming favorite. I thought "uh-oh."

It was too big of a swing in an election that had been pretty close. And I don't think the circumstances currently point to a landslide. If the economy suddenly roars to life, if Romney does something truly awful, (etc.), I can imagine it. But I don't think it's likely.

So I think a correction was pretty much inevitable, for a few reasons.

First, when we get these polls of uncommitted voters, it's not all the same people who are first drifting one way and then another. New people keep making up their minds. And there can be a "wait a minute, this isn't over" reaction.

Secondly, and more importantly, I think the media is much more interested in a close race than a blow-out. That affects what stories they report and how they report them. Which in turn affects what the chatter is about and how people feel about the candidates.

Things were shifting back to Romney before the first debate. The debate fit into the emerging narrative really well, and accelerated things.

I don't know if this debate will be take things too far the other way -- probably not. But I think it will help. (Barring some disaster.)

More likely, I think, will be a small uptick after this debate, then some other story about Romney or Ryan in the 47% vein (Ryan's recent soup kitchen debacle is close but not quite), then another uptick after the next debate, then some last-minute Obama panic, then looks better again, and then a close but definitive win.

I said "definitive," I meant "decisive." But yeah, that was pretty close to how it went.

Whew!
edgarblythe

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:16 am
Welcome back kickycan. Now we got to find Frank Apisa.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:17 am
Congratulations to president Obama.
My candidate didn't win, and I knew he wouldn't, so I am happy for the winners of all the campaigns.

I went to bed when the news called Wisconsin for Obama, so I haven't heard the vote totals yet.
sozobe

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:44 am
I'm still getting my head around all the implications.

ACA is a done deal.

Supreme court.

Climate change.
snood

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:41 am
@sozobe,
I know, Soz (!) - there was so much at stake...
Frank Apisa

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:55 am
@kickycan,
Ya mean there were places where pot was illegal???

I didn't know that.

Hey Kick. Just got power back at 11:00 am today. Over a week without power, lights, Internet, land line phone...and my cell would not work because the towers were compromised until yesterday or the day before.

Whatta bunch of ****.
Region Philbis

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:59 am
@Frank Apisa,

good to have ya back, Frank...
Miller

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:05 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I went to bed when the news called Wisconsin ...

I went and did the laundry and checked my brokerage account.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:07 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I know, Soz (!) - there was so much at stake...

There is much at stake. Pity the folks trying to build up their retirement accounts and today face a fall in the DJIA of 318. This situation hurts the little folks ( i.e. the Obama fans ) much more than it does the Romney fans.
parados

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:25 am
@Miller,
It's so dire until you get back to reality and realize the DJIA was up 200 points from Monday opening.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:29 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/121107074240-obama-victory-hp-06-live-video.jpg

4 more years and kicky!

I'll bet the homeless and cold folks on Staten Island and NJ loved to see the above photo. And the really sad thing is , of course, the homeless and cold probably voted for Obama.
Thomas

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:32 am
@hingehead,
Somehow I never pictured Donald Trump on a barricade. Wouldn't that be bad for his hairpiece?
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:37 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Intrade and Nate Silver and such had him as the overwhelming favorite. I thought "uh-oh."

And they were right. Remember, their bet was on the chances of Obama winning, not on the margin of his victory. And those chances were always good, even after the first debate. If it seemed any different to you, you've wasted too much of your time reading commentators who eschew the statistical legwork and pivoted into lofty talk about "momentum".
Miller

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:39 am
@Miller,
Lord, I just love that IGNORE button to death.