200,000 w/o power in Northwest

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 01:09 pm
(CBS/AP) SEATTLE - Winds have descended to the storm-weary Pacific Northwest and tens of thousands of people remain without power after a snow and ice front left a tangle of fallen trees and damaged power lines.

Several Oregon counties saw their worst flooding in more than a decade.

On Saturday, gusts of up to 50 miles per hour arrived in much of the region, which could bring down more snow-laden and ice-damaged trees. An urban and small stream flood advisory was issued until 3:30 p.m. Saturday for counties across the region. Due to the excess rainfall and the combination of the melted snow, minor urban flooding is expected, as well as the high possibility of landslides.

More than 200,000 customers remain without electricity as of Saturday morning, reported Puget Sound Energy, one of the region's largest utilities. The utility says that they have restored power to more than 250,000 customers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57363345/200000-without-power-in-northwest/

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/01/21/powerlines_AP120120031154_620x350.jpg

Derrick Lonneker climbs onto a downed power pole, as he works to repair a transmission line damaged by a falling tree near a substation, Friday, Jan. 20, 2012, in Olympia, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,820 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 01:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
this must be part of that conspiracy that hawkeye is always whining about.

even so, I hope they get them all back on the grid before anyone freezes...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 01:48 pm
@Rockhead,
Hawkeye probably has his eye out right now for the black helicopters that likely caused all this. Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:11 pm
Hope our members in the Portland area (Boomerang, Hawkeye, etc.) are enduring the cold well.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, I was thinking of boomer and others. It's really why I started this thread. When they get their power back they can enlighten us all first-hand.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
A bunch of years ago I met some a2kers of the Seattle area, Peace and Love, Jeanne de Seattle, and Piffka - and we went to lunch at a little cafe in this neighborhood:

"Do NOT try to cross this street in Seattle's Queen Anne neighborhood against the light. You could be hit by a speeding toboggan."
Photo: Elaine Thompson / Associated Press / sfgate

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2012/01/19/ba-nationipad012_WRE0106185739.jpg

I don't know how often it snows in Seattle, so I don't know how common this sight is - seems that it must be unusual. I lived not very far south of the Oregon/California border and it didn't snow in our old seaport town, at least in my six years there. . . but it did snow not very far inland.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I have met all three of the ladies you mention, Osso, in person. But not in their own neck of the woods. I met P&L and Piffka in New York, same day I met Roberta. And Seattle Friend was visiting Boston with her older daughter and son-in-law to help the youngest daughter settle in as a freshman at New England Conservatory of Music. We all had a marvelous dinner together at a very fine Italian restaurant in the North End.

Sadly, all three have disappeared from these boards.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yeah. I hope all three are well and happy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 04:46 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's sunny and 50 degrees here today so we're not having any problems in Portland. There was some flooding in surrounding towns but no serious damage.

We actually spent the last week in Hawaii and missed all the bad weather. All our clocks were flashing when we got home so apparently we did lose power but I have no idea for how long. There was also a little water in our basement which indicates that there was some SERIOUS rain.

Our flight home was really bumpy and the airport was jammed with people who couldn't get to connections in Seattle so I know they were hit hard.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 04:54 pm
@boomerang,
Glad to hear you're okay, Boomer.

But you know I'll never forgive you for being in Hawaii and not getting in touch. Laughing
boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 04:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I know. I'm so sorry! I really wanted to contact you but I had no internet connection and no idea of what we'd be doing at any given time.

We did really enjoy our visit to your beautiful state. Next time (and there will be a next time) we hope to get to spend more time there so that we don't stay on the move every minute.
0 Replies