Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:19 pm
Im cookin a cubic foot of chili.
my ingreedient load consists of

fried chuck chunks in a lard and chili poeder base (Pennzys hot chili about 8t
ablespoons)

red , nigitto, and pinto beans -dry and then boiled and allowed to hydrate in salt water.

5 onions in quarters fried in chili powder

many cans of tomato sauce and chunks

tabasco(lots)

sugar 3T
salt 3T

cup ketschup

arrowroot

Im cooking it and letting it set overnight to bring together the flavors

IT NEEDS SOMETHING AND I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT
Any ideas? cav, bumblebee, kitchenpete, kuvasc, Diddie, jL, osso. and all other cooks of the air.
I dont use recipes, i cook it till it tastes right and , at the end of a chili, i always serve raw onions and cheese grates .

ALSo -Im not a snob , but for my drinkin friends whats the best thing to serve , beer or wine. 9Im drinking Stewarts ginger beer)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,993 • Replies: 34
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:48 pm
I'm trying to picture this - seems like it's low on either sugar or salt. Could you take a half-cup or so of the mixture out, and then, a coupla tablespoons at a time - try adding a bit of salt and/or sugar.

Is the texture right?

Looking again. Are 5 onions enough for a vat of chili? I'd say no (for my taste buds). Cook up some onions and carrots (to bring up the sugar) now and add to the mix overnight?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
farmer : you might want to add some of the gigerbeer to the mix. mrs. h always adds ginger ale when making spicy meatballs - it gives it just a touch of sweetness AND spice . why not try it on a small batch and give it a taste test ? hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:50 pm
I'd be on the ginger ale patrol with you, so I can't help on the bevvie side.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:54 pm
re. onions: can you get vidalia or sweet spanish onions ? again, should give you sweetness AND spice. hbg ... i'd stay away from plain cooking onions - they are only good for producing lots of gas ! (is that the desired effect ???)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:57 pm
Real honest-to-god chili peppers - hang them outside on your porch until they dry completely and then put in the seeds while you let it cook over night. That's how my mother always made it. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:58 pm
I'm not recommending this recipe (one of many at allrecipes), but it shows the balance of ingredients (very similar to about a half dozen i just looked at)

Bob - who created this one - uses a half-cup of sugar and tsp of salt to 2 lbs of meat.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef
3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed
1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
1 cup strong brewed coffee
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped

(edited to add the ingredient list)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:14 pm
What...no garlic?

What kinda redneck you think you are, anyway?

Tabasco?!? Shocked

I suppose you don't got no Ro-Tel hot tomatoes (in a can) in Pennsavainya. How about some jalapénos, or are you just invitin' sissies over?

Never mind, I already know the answer to that, since you asked whether or not to serve wine.

Wine. With chili. What a disgrace. Confused

And after I read your 'Ode to My Dualie', I thought you knew sum'um' about sum'um'... :wink:

You're not even supposed to serve light beer with chili, much less wine.

Sheesh, what's next? Napkins?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:35 pm
diddie, i hang my head man. no wine. i got a couple cases of einy for those that need it but the , you know, the ladies.
I like your idea of taking a small 'quot and add some sugar and other spices.
WHAT THE HELLS WRONG WITH TABASCO. You texans think food tastes good only with a tar flavor.

oh yeh, i do have a bulb of garlic all cloves smashed and chopped. That goes without saying.

i was getting ready to put some dried scotch bonnet peppers but the object was not to induce pain, but a warm glow.

brown sugar/ hmmmm that sounds different. The chocolate NOT , that sounds waay too mex with chocolate. chilis a Merkin invention, aint it?
Im going out and adjust my tastes in a cups worth. Around here when they make pA Dutch chili, they use,( no ****), tapioca to thicken it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:45 pm
Good luck, farmerman.

Getting the proportions right on those large-scale recipes is always a bit more difficult.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:46 pm
eh beth, that was it, i just adjusted the flavors with some more pepper and brown sugar. I put in 2 scotch bonnets. Ill try to fish em out tomorrow.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:58 pm
Tabasco is for the end; the final consumption part of the process, not the production. It goes beside your onions and your cheese. Not a moment earlier.

In my circle we have "Who es mas macho?!" contests. Take a fresh (not pickled) jalapéno, submerse it in the Tabasco, hold it up and say, "Who es mas macho? Fernando Lamas, Ricardo Montalban, or me?" (Be sure and trill the r's...)

Crunch your pepper, swallow and yell "Me!" Follow with whatever cools the fire for you, rinse, repeat.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:01 pm
Green pepper
Celery
I'm with ehBeth on a carrot or two
Glad you remembered garlic
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:11 pm
FERRRRRNANADO...... if you suck down a scotch bonnet thats about as far as youll get before your head explodes all over the room.

Noddy Im allergic to green peppers so I never add it to anything. I do like ripe peppers

I forgot , Im making sopaipillas dough so tomorrow ill fry them just before were ready to eat .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:15 pm
mmmmmmm
sopapillas
the only food i liked when i was in Tucson. if you'd asked me beforehand, i would have told you they wouldn't be something i liked.

Glad to hear that you found the fixer ingredients. Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:35 pm
oh yeh. i learned a recipe from Vicent prices Cookbook. It was taken from the Santa fe railroad hotels of the 1920s and the style is like a chewy sweet dough . BUT, if they arent served really fresh they lose something.

Ahhh tucson. i worked for the USAF there for a few months. I had a convertible rental car and , One afternoon, when it was one million degrees outside, I had the top down and I was heading out to do some hiking and I jumped over the door into the car and seared my back on the black leather seat. I had to go to the infirmary , the doctor guy said "youre not from tucson are you"? The 'dumb ****" ending was left silent but was understood.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:59 pm
ahhhhh, the Vincent Price cookbook. I found it at a Goodwill 20 years ago. That type of cooking was out of style then, but I've found that he covered the basics, and covered them well. It seems that a new generation of cooks is appreciating some of the American recipes he and his wife collected.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:36 pm
I think I've seen the V. Price cookbook. Must've have passed it over in one of my ital only routines.

Carrot or two, then I'd remove em. Me, I'd cook the onions to sugary, but you might have done that.

People are forgetting you added Penzey's chili, that's pretty good stuff.

Hmm, any fat in that besides the meat/lard? I guess you fried stuff in oil, eh?

Ah, I see you've fixed it already. I'll be over tomorrow...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:48 pm
I'd go for the addition of onion and brown sugar. I like Tabasco, especially their new habanero Tabasco, but not in chili. The overtones of vinegar are a bit jarring in this context.

MESQUITE! You forgot the mesquite.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:15 pm
OK, you will need:

-1 case of full-strength beer
-1 ceramic paver (approx. 8" X 8")

Add the paver to the mix.

Start drinking the beer, by half way through the case the paver should be soft (test with a wooden skewer, not metal)

Remove the paver and toss out the chili mix, eat the paver

Drink the rest of the beer

Don't tell us what happens next, we've all got a pretty good idea.....
0 Replies