What does SOPA stand for?

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:04 pm

Context:

MegaUpload shut down by feds: Why do we need SOPA?
Digital Trends via Yahoo! News - 5 hours ago
File-sharing mecca MegaUpload.com is dead, shut down at the hands of the US federal government. The Federal Bureau of Investigation has arrested four people, and charged three others, in the ... more »
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,792 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:05 pm
@oristarA,
Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) - it failed, but apparently nobody told the feds...
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:14 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) - it failed, but apparently nobody told the feds...

It has rendered MegaUpload dead. Succeeded or failed? The former seems gainning the upper hand.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:16 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, the controversy goes on. Besides SOPA (explained above), there's also PIPA (and I frankly don't know what those letters stand for).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:51 pm
@oristarA,
I don't think it has killed any website - yet. There were some that shut down for a day in protest of the bill. One of those was wikipedia.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:59 pm
@roger,
Oh, really?

http://able2know.org/topic/183373-1

http://able2know.org/topic/183376-1
roger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:49 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks. That sounds like a web site was shut down for piracy, but not as a result of SOPA having been passed. Is that what you meant? There used to be a great site, whose name I've forgotten that was also shut down. It was THE place to go for free music downloads. It was a case of existing copyright violations, which will continue to be illegal whether SOPA is passed or not.

I wonder if we're talking about the same thing.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:58 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't think it has killed any website - yet. There were some that shut down for a day in protest of the bill. One of those was wikipedia.

I groaned yesterday on the outage of wiki. Because I was checking some data there. I read through their protest statement. Luckily, I did some trick to shun the blackened page and got the wiki items that I wanted. Very Happy

But like LA, I didn't get what PIPA stood for.
oristarA

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:04 am
@oristarA,
Got it:
PIPA is the new SOPA
4 Jan 2012 – SOPA's twin in the U.S. Senate is the Protect IP Act, or PIPA. Both bills threaten to rip apart the fabric of the Internet, compromise the planet's ...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@oristarA,
Thx for that, Ori. Now I know.

Lustig (I'll probably forget what it means in minutes) Andrei
0 Replies