German Court Convicts Internet Cannibal of Manslaughter

au1929

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:45 am
German Court Convicts Internet Cannibal of Manslaughter

By MARK LANDLER

Published: January 31, 2004

FRANKFURT, Jan. 30 — A German computer technician who killed and ate a willing victim he found through the Internet was convicted of manslaughter on Friday, in a ruling that reflected the legal ambiguities of a case that has, by turns, fascinated and repulsed people here.
A court in Kassel, about 90 miles north of here, sentenced the man, Armin Meiwes, to eight-and-a-half years in prison for killing Bernd-Jürgen Brandes, who responded to an Internet posting by Mr. Meiwes seeking someone willing to be "slaughtered." The three-judge court rejected the prosecution's plea for a murder conviction and a life sentence.
[]"Both were looking for the ultimate kick," said the chief judge, Volker Mütze, after reading the verdict. "This was an act between two extremely disturbed people who both wanted something from each other."
The conviction on a lesser charge means that Mr. Meiwes could be released in less than five years.
Harald Ermel, a lawyer for Mr. Meiwes, said he would appeal the verdict. Mr. Ermel had argued that his client was only guilty of "killing on request," an illegal form of euthanasia that carries a maximum jail term of five years.
"He's a model prisoner," Mr. Ermel told reporters at the courthouse. "He will voluntarily undergo psychiatric therapy to get away from his fetish for men's flesh. I'm sure he won't do anything like this again."
That is not likely to calm the nerves of people in Rotenburg an der Fulda, the secluded village south of Kassel where Mr. Meiwes, 42, lived in a rambling half-timbered house. He played host there to four other men who responded to his Web posting, before finding the 43-year-old Mr. Brandes in March 2001.
What followed was an evening of sexual role-playing and violence, much of it videotaped by Mr. Meiwes. In the end, he stabbed Mr. Brandes to death with a kitchen knife, hung the corpse on a meat hook, and carved it up, storing pieces of flesh in plastic bags in his freezer.
"With every piece of flesh I ate, I remembered him," Mr. Meiwes said during his trial. "It was like taking communion."
It was hard to reconcile the placid, well-dressed defendant in the courtroom with the grisly testimony. Yet it was the legal dilemma, as much as the lurid details of the case, that consumed the court. Convicting Mr. Meiwes of murder would have been difficult, according to legal experts, because the victim consented, even pleaded, to be killed. But confining Mr. Meiwes to a psychiatric hospital would also have presented problems because a court-appointed psychiatrist testified that he was not suffering from "diminished responsibility" at the time of the killing.
Do you think this is justice served?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:53 am
This story has interested me for a while. Didn't the murder take place last year? I've heard that there isn't any law set up already in Germany declaring cannabalism illegal. In my gut, I don't know how I feel about t. I guess I'd need to know an aweful lot about both men before I could really resolve how I felt about it. I believe in mercy killing for the terminally ill who wish for it, but I think it would be hard to legislate it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:02 am
littek
Was it really a mercy killing? IMO he was just looking for the thrill of the kill and the eating of human flesh. This individual, based upon the verdict, will be unleashed upon society in about five years. I believe they should have locked him up and thrown away the key.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:03 am
au, wasn't saying that this was a mercy killing. I did say that I'd want to know more details about both men before I could settle my gut about the thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:09 am
As horrific as was the act, the murdered man agreed to the slaughter and cannibalism. In another article, I had read that on other occasions, where the intended "dinners" balked, the cannibal let them go. So there was no coercion.

I think that this is one case where there are no easy answers. Thankfully, that sort of thing does not come up very often.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:22 am
Ive been interested in this one myself and since both men were/are obviously in need of some psychiactric assistance, it was more of a euthanasia case in my thoughts since it was consentual. Doesnt make it right but, you know..its an odd one.
Yeah, luckily it doesnt come up much.
Regarding a cannibalism law well, I can think of one 1972 plane crash in which cannibalism saved a few people and the public still doesnt hold their actions against them, considering the circumstances that the flesh was dead already, its different but, a law would have to include items such as that if we're going to start considering it.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 05:26 pm
The punishment fits the crime. The man agreed to be eaten and the other ate. Both crazy. One more so than the other. And the one that was was eaten. And the one that wasn't gets five years. The good thing is he didn't go out and just pick someone up off the street to do it. That would be another story.
0 Replies