The logic

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:28 pm
Should "Because the force of spinning pulls larger things down first" be "Because the force of spinning pulls ligher things up first"? Because when spinning force is used, it would pull all things in a culture tube up; the lighter ones go up first; only when the force stops, the gravity of the Earth pulls the larger things down first.

Context:

Just ask William Ratcliff and his colleagues at the University of Minnesota. In a PNAS paper published online this week, they show how multicellular yeast can arise in less than two months in the lab. To achieve this leap, they took brewer’s yeast – a common, single celled lab organism – and grew them in a liquid medium. Once a day, they gently spun the yeast in the culture, starting the next batch with whichever cells ended up at the bottom of the tube. Because the force of spinning pulls larger things down first, clumps of cells were more likely to be at the bottom than single ones, thus setting up a strong selective pressure for multicellularity.

More:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/2012/01/16/evolution-the-rise-of-complexity/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 719 • Replies: 4
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:11 pm
@oristarA,
No one likes logic?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:04 pm
@oristarA,
Sounds like they are talking about a centrifuge, so I'm missing the logic in stating that the larger things are pulled down first. Usually the most dense particles or cells, or whatever move to the bottom of the tube first. Lighter objects are displaced upwards.
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 08:47 am
@roger,
Okay.
Thanks
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 02:32 pm
What confused me at first was that in a rotated vessel, centrifugal force would displace denser material preferentially in a direction away from the centre of rotation, "outwards" in other words, so it didn't seem to make much sense to talk about movement "downwards". Then I looked at a picture of a lab centrifuge, where the vessels to be spun, often test tubes, are placed so they lean inwards at an angle. Heavier particles are displaced intitially sideways until they strike the wall of the test tube, and then deflected downwards.

http://glossary.periodni.com/image/centrifuge.gif
0 Replies