what's the meaning of "hewn from a different light"?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:59 pm
The colours that fall across the landscape of this remote north-eastern corner of India are hewn from a different light. Go there and you will see.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,156 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:20 pm
@kkfengdao,
It means the same as cut from a different cloth, but not as poetic, IMHO as it's hard to cut light.
kkfengdao

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 10:16 am
@Ceili,
Thanks!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 10:43 am
@kkfengdao,
It would suggest there is something unique about the colours of that particular part of India.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:22 am
Hewn is the past participle of to hew, which means to cut, in the sense of cutting down trees, or chopping wood. It's a clumsy construction. I agree with Ceili . . . how do you cut light?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
I quite like it, it's poetic so it doesn't have to make sense. Hewn puts me in mind of the phrase rough hewn cloth, which would fit in with India's global importance in textiles. Can't you cut light with a prism?
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
You can, if you like. I have never encountered the expression "rough hewn cloth." To me, it makes no more sense than "hewn light."

OK, this is from Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, a definition of rough hewn:

1: being in a rough, unsmoothed, or unfinished state : crudely formed <rough–hewn beams>

2: lacking refinement
<he was rather attractive, in a rough–hewn kind of way — Jan Speas>

. . . which would encompass "rough hewn cloth."

This is the definition of hewn with which i am familiar:

hewn - cut or shaped with hard blows of a heavy cutting instrument like an ax or chisel; "a house built of hewn logs"; "rough-hewn stone"; "a path hewn through the underbrush"

(The source is the Free Online Dictionary, which cites the American Heritage Dictionary.)

So i guess we'll just have to charge me with a lack of imagination.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
If everyone liked the same things it would be a very rough hewn world.
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 01:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Very boring, certainly. Fresco has told me to go take a nap, so i'll be away for a while.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
how do you cut light?

Find a unicorn. Feed it beans.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:19 pm
@DrewDad,
At last. Something I understand.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:38 am
@kkfengdao,
Colour is metaphorically "hewn" from light in the sense that a reflective surface separates/cuts ambient light into those colour components which it absorbs and those components which it re-transmits (which we perceive as its "colour").
Since ambient light can vary in its components (e.g. yellow light contains no blue component) this will affect the perceived colour of a landscape. Note also that ambient light is the sum of all transmitted light including source of illumination and reflections from adjacent surfaces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 03:37 am
@DrewDad,
If you feed a unicorn beans, it will certainly cut something . . .
McTag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 03:46 am
@Setanta,

I don't like that dictionary definition of "a path hewn through the undergrowth".

You hew wood, or stone. You don't hew undergrowth. Bad dictionary.
Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:11 am
@McTag,
How does "rough hewn cloth" strike you, then?
fresco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:22 am
Cloth seems to have little to do with the metaphorical use in this instance. On the other hand, the fact that wood and stone carving are traditional crafts in NE India, or that the reflective terrain is rugged, may add further intentional dimensionality to the metaphor on the part of the author. It would be interesting to see whether the author goes on to describe such handicrafts or had mentioned them prior to his landscape description, since the semantic import of a metaphor tends to extend beyond a single sentence to the ambience of the whole piece.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:42 am
@Setanta,

Quote:
How does "rough hewn cloth" strike you, then?

It strikes me like a wet flannel in the kisser.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Hewn is the past participle of to hew,

Hewn is the past participle of [to] hew - no 'to'.

Quote:
how do you cut light?

But in your next post, you give an example of hewing a person.

2: lacking refinement <he was rather attractive, in a rough–hewn kind of way — Jan Speas>

Surely you have heard of the word metaphor. Here's a definition. I'll highlight the pertinent sections for you.

▸ noun: a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity

Quote:
how do you cut light?

With a prism for one. In point of fact, the atmosphere can act in this manner. Ever seen a rainbow, lad?

fresco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:41 pm
@JTT,
Nice to know there's two of us with a similar explanation.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:50 pm
@fresco,
I'm always amazed at how folks can write contradictory stuff in successive sentences.

When Set gets to pontificating on language issues, someone has to shoot him down before he runs hog wild.
0 Replies