Gained weight after quitting?

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:46 pm
Has anybody here quit smoking? Did you gain weight after, and how much approximately? Or is this just a wives tale?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,360 • Replies: 18
No top replies

John Garvey

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:41 pm
I quit about 8 years ago. In the first 2 or 3 years I gained about 30 pounds. It has stayed at that level.
Not good. But don't let that keep you from quitting.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:53 pm
I quit over 6 years ago. I gained about 15 pounds within the first 6 months and another 15 after the second year. The good news is I started exercising and got rid of the extra weight.

I don't believe anyone that says they didn't gain weight when they quit smoking.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:06 pm
I quit 30 years ago and put on so much weight I hated the look of myself, but dont let that put you off stopping smoking, it literally is the number one stupidest thing ever invented by mankind.

At 21 I couldn't run 20 yards for a bus, now at 55 I can do the "three peaks walk" in the yorkshire dales without breaking sweat.

Don't let ANYTHING put you off quitting the most distructive habit in the world.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:43 pm
MOst of the weight gain is due to extra food intake as a result of oral fixation. Increase your exercise as well and you should be OK.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:47 pm
When I first quit smoking, it seemed like I was always hungry, and it was hard pulling myself away from the table. I found brushing my teeth after I ate, tended to shut off the food and smoking cravings for awhile.

Don't let gaining weight scare you from quitting...it will be one of the best choices you'll ever make in your life.
0 Replies

taffykaydee

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 11:31 pm
Oh, i've always heard what everyone else has... Chew gum.. Drink Juices (haven't actually known what thats for..) Get a intresting hobby.. and quit on the weekends when theres no one around u can snap at.. well not as many.. I can only say what i've heard... I haven't quit yet myself... but plan to one day. hehe. but go for it!! yay! Very Happy good luck and live longer.

Oh, but i quess that really doesn't go with what you were asking...
My dad quit smoking about 2 years ago know... He had also went on diet.. and Kindof went to the extreme of what he was doing to himself..He went ALL THE WAY with getting healthy.. and lost weight.. he actually did. You don't have to believe it.. but it's the truth.. and I couldn't be happier for him. --- Still just going from what i've seen and heard not actually from personal experience.. maybe it varies???--- good luck still on it though if you do decide too. Very Happy
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:03 am
Gaining weight is the least of your worries ... however, I do believe that is a myth. It all depends on what you do with yourself when you quit.

To quit smoking is to seek a better physical lifestyle, no? So, you've already done that, now concentrate on eating food that is conducive to a healthier lifestyle, and exercise too!

you've got it made pal!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:57 am
Wilso wrote:
MOst of the weight gain is due to extra food intake as a result of oral fixation. Increase your exercise as well and you should be OK.

I quit smoking several years ago and I've never considered my smoking habit to be the result of "oral fixation". It was merely an addiction to nicotine ( which I miss dearly to this very day!). Drunk
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:38 am
The overeating is the result of oral fixation, replacing the cigarettes that you're used to putting in your mouth. The smoking habit is the result of addiction to nicotine (not that I"m suggesting you didn't know that).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:29 am
This explanation sounds interesting:

http://abrannen.home.mindspring.com/alag/stoptrim.htm

Quote:
Changes in the body's metabolic rate (the rate at which the body burns calories) may account for why many smokers gain a few pounds soon after quitting smoking. Smoking increases the smoker's metabolic rate, and seems to make it easier for the body to expend calories and harder for it to store them - contributing to a lower body weight for smokers. When the smoker quits smoking, more calories are converted into tissue, resulting in some weight gain.

It might be useful to read the entire article. My quote is only part of the discussion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:37 am
What I remember reading when I quit was that quitting smoking messes with your blood sugar levels and that juice and other sweets help fix some of the cravings. I was working at a bar when I quit and I chewed on the plastic stirrers and took little shots of gigerale, 7-up, cranberry juice, etc. I was under my usual weight when I quit, and think I've gained about 10-15 pounds since then (7-8 years ago)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:48 am
I used to drink beer every non working waking hour of the day. I also smoked. I quit smoking and drinking at very nearly the same time. For about six months after I ate a mostly vegetarian diet. I lost about 60 pounds. Since (over 11 years) I've gained back about ten of those pounds.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:57 am
Another thing that helped me through quitting was running. I don't usually do regular excersize, and didn't really then. But, when I'd feel a craving for a smoke I'd take my dog to the park and do sprints. I'd run as long as I comfortably could, and then I'd walk.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
I quit two years ago and gained 25 lbs. I also began working from home at about the same time so the normal amount of excercise I'd been getting at a 9-to-5 was eliminated. It's hard getting rid of extra weight, especially if you've never had a problem with your weight in the past.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:11 pm
Er, yes, but around the same time I also replaced much of the alcohol in my diet with food and got a job where I sat behind a desk all day. Definitely a combination of factors.

But it's great. I can take a really deep breath without coughing these days.

(For what it's worth, I still buy a pack every two or three months, and smoke in spurts, one or two or three a day. October/November was the most recent, I think. Each restart is more odious than the last, and I generally find that I only want half the cigarette unless I'm drunk. My advice is to hash out a way of quitting that works for you, and if that means accepting the occasional relapse, so be it. -- I never feel the need to go and buy another pack when I finish one anymore.)
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 03:11 pm
I actually quit only a month ago. I quit once before for 5 months then starting smoking gain even heavier then the last. I don't remember gaining weight the first time, but this time i feel i am already gaining. I won't let it stop me from quitting. I don't miss smoking at all. Thanks for all the comments, keep'em comin!

P.S What did you use to help you quit smoking?
Both times for me have been cold turkey.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
Sheer, stubborn willpower, no cigarettes in the house, no cigarette smoking IN my home, and the absolute refusal to put another cigarette between my lips.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:02 pm
I smoked for 25 years and tried many times over the years to quit. I just kept going back to smoking. I decided to give Nicorette gum a try, which finally worked for me.
0 Replies