9 week old kitten having diarrhea and vomiting after vaccines and deworming

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 02:47 pm
You are going to have your hands full trying to keep him entertained. Don't spend a lot of money on store-bought toys. Cats will play with almost anything. Some of the favorite toys my cats have loved over the years were just things that might have gone into the trash. A fan-folded piece of paper tied in the middle with a 3 ft piece of yarn is a good one. To get him interested, I'd dangle it in his face just out of reach and let him catch it occasionally. Or, we'd run up and down the hall trailing the paper lure for him to chase. After awhile, I could tie it to something so the paper was just above his head and he'd still play with it for hours like a tether ball.

Another favorite toy is the little plastic ring you remove when you first open a gallon jug of milk. I'd toss that into the bathtub for my cat and he'd play soccer with it for hours. The slick surface and high walls of the tub were great fun for him.

Yet another favorite was tightly wadded up pieces of paper that he'd bat around the house. He eventually learned to fetch and we'd entertain each other with it for hours.

Here's a picture of one of my old cats from many years ago, caught in the act with the plastic ring in the bathtub game.

http://butrfly.net/zeus3.jpg

You can't see it, but this is him about to make a goal in a game of soccer played with a wadded up piece of paper filled with a little catnip. He got so good at it he could easily land a goal into the brown paper grocery bag on the other side of the room. Then he'd go flying into the bag to tackle the paper ball and make the paper bag rattle.

http://butrfly.net/zeus1.jpg
angelray1128

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I haven't spent a lot on toys because I did hear that. Toby has some balls with bells in them, a stick with a string that has a toy on the end, a pop up little square house with holes in 3 sides that he loves to pounce on top and flatten it, and his favorite toy is my stepson's nerf gun bullet. He will toss that thing up and flip around with it for 30 mins. He's back to his old self and not having any more tummy trouble and not sleeping too much. It's fun to have him playing again.
roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:57 pm
@angelray1128,
Great. Now, take away the nerf stuff and let him have a wad of paper or something else to play with. Not even dogs can digest nerf.
angelray1128

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:04 pm
@roger,
Aw really? That sucks. He loves that. He doesn't chew it up, but ok. I will.
roger

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 12:40 am
@angelray1128,
If you're sure he won't swallow any of it, let him have his fun. Poor kid's gotta' have something after all he went through.
0 Replies

victoriags

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 06:19 pm
@angelray1128,
I'm so sorry about your kitten. Now, the vet is right. Usually, the deworming or vaccines do not make the kitten suffer so much trauma. The nail caps also are not a problem. Now, I heard that your vet said that the cat may have eaten the Christmas tree, this is a highly plausible scenario. However, as far as caring for your kitten, there are a couple things I should tell you.
1. When you buy cat food, in order for it to be the best for your cat, you may want to look at the ingredients. If the first ingredients are chicken, salmon, or something that looks "good," it is most likely the best. However if it says Corn Gluten as the first ingredient, you may want to pass it up. I reccomend ONE cat food.
2. It's not a bad thing to feed your cat wet food. It's actually good for him to stay on a balanced diet of both foods. But make sure not to give him too much!
3.When the kitten is a kitten, wet food is probably a tad better for them.
4. Look at the list of poisonous plants for cats and make sure you don't have any in your house: http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants.aspx?plant_toxicity=toxic-to-cats
5. Don't fast your cat because that will lead to him not liking you anymore.
6. Play with him and he will most likely heal faster.

Hope that helped!
roger

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 06:24 pm
@victoriags,
I don't know if it helps Toby, but it does sound like good general advice.

So far as food goes, when I was working, I fed an entire pride on kibble. They liked it, even the kittens. They seemed to start on kibble at about the same house cats started on canned food. Honestly, there were so many that money was an object. They didn't get the quality that my own were used to. On the other hand, I never saw one of them last over two years.
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 01:31 am
@roger,
Awwwwww......soft little rat heart.
0 Replies