Dealing with kids

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 08:40 am
Hi ive been with my girlfriend for coming up to 2 years soon and she has a little boy 3years old from a previous relationship and i myself have 2 boys (5 and 10) who live with my ex their mum.
And i am really struggling to see myself playing a part in her boys life as i miss my own boys to much soon as i have any contact with him.
I dont ever wanting my boys to think "Daddys with his girlfriend and her son" and not them.
Obviously i knew she had a little boy when we first got together but never really looked into the future like that.
I really dont want to lose her but this is doing my head in.

Any advice much appreciated
Thanks
H
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 984 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:00 am
This isn't about YOU - this is about these boys whom you come in contact with - both yours and your girlfriends.

You don't have to feel as though you are picking this one boy over your two sons.

Enjoy them ALL.

Learn how to play with them ALL

Be a loving, giving adult to the ALL

Bond with them ALL.

Try to increase your visitations with your sons. The 10 year old needs to see you very often. As they get older they will need a good male role model even more.

(Perhaps you now see some missing years with your own sons, since this new little fella is so young. You may have some guilt about that. Act NOW to create an even closer bond with your own sons)
hollister

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:09 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks for your reply, you made lots of good points.

But im so close to my own boys and i know they like being with me alot and having me to themselves alot.

I just struggle with silly little things like when im with the little boy and not with my own (in my head im saying to myself you should be with your boys now)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:54 am
@hollister,
Do you have 24-7 access to your sons?
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 10:23 am
@hollister,
Who are your boys with when they are not with you? My guess is their mom. So in that situation - it is pretty much you cannot be with them - not that you do not want to be with them. So it isn't like you are giving up your kids to be her child, or is it?

What would happen if this child of hers was your child and you had a third child - would you feel that you were not giving proper attention to your two boys? No, to me what is the difference then. If you are serious with her, this young boy in a sense will be your boy too.

Happens all the time. My brother is married to a woman who had a daughter with a previous husband. They now have two children together and the older girl from the previous marriage. To him (and the rest of our family) this older girl although not of blood relation is as much a part of our family as his blood daughters. She is my niece same as her half-sisters.
0 Replies

hollister

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:23 pm
@ehBeth,
No probably about 50/50, they stay at my flat normally 3 nights a week
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@hollister,
Are you leaving your boys home alone to spend time with the other child?

If not, I'm not sure I understand your problem.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:59 pm
@ehBeth,
I think he feels guilty when he's with his girlfriend's boy and not his own kids.

Hollister, I don't blame you for your feelings, however it's not fair to the little 3 year old boy who probably feels your resentment towards him. Either you embrace him like he's your own, or you break up the relationship. It's not the boys fault that you're divorced and have to share your 2 kids with your ex-wife. He's completely innocent in this and deserves a loving environment. If you cannot provide this for him than you have no business dating his mom.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 02:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
But I don't understand the guilt... if the kids are with their mom, then you wouldn't be spending time with them at that point in time any way. So if you had a kid with a different mother so that were with him more often, would you still feel guilty? I know and your kids know that you would like to be with them too, but it isn't like you are leaving them alone - they are with their mom. What about when you are at work and talking with other people - do you feel bad about that instead of being with your kids?
hollister

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes your right i feel guilty when i not with my boys but im with her and her boy.

I dont have any resentment towards him none whatsoever i have had minimal contact with him any way, but when i have seen him theres never been an issue its just in my head i know but i cant stop that.
Thanks for your help though replies are very much appreciated
0 Replies

hollister

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
Yes they are with their mom, i know i wouldnt but when there is an opportunity to see my sons additionally i do and if i dont then end up spending it with her and her son i cant help but feel guilty and that i could/should be with them as id know they would prefer that.
Many thanks for your replies
H
0 Replies