Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:21 pm
@Mame,
killing two flied with one stone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHB32ll7Ce8

two canadian boys
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 02:50 pm
Gung Haggis Fat Choy, only in Canada you say??

http://www.ctvvancouverisland.ca/2012/01/two-cultures-fuse-over-unique-nanaimo-celebration/
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:24 pm
@Ceili,
agghhh haggis pot stickers
Ceili

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
Yummy, non?
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:35 pm
@Ceili,
we raise lambs and I can only eat the stuff after the seasonal smell wears out of my blood . Its a fact that continued exposures to certain farm activities can generate an immune reponse and induce gagging or discomfort around your product.
I know farmers who are allergic to corn products from their seasonal work with the crop.

I love pot stickers but only the kind with pork or shlimp
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
Know whatcha mean, fm. My father, who grew up on a farm in the old country, would absolutely not eat lamb. Pork, chicken, beef, ok. No lamb. It wasn't an allergy, just an aversion from his childhood.
Ceili

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 05:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was told once that the reason most N. Americans don't have a taste for lamb is because the allied forces were fed a steady diet of mutton during the war. A decent lamb chop is a far cry from tough old rubbery mutton. I don't think I'd want to indulge either if that's what I'd been fed.
Funnily enough, I know several people who grew up on chicken farms that have the same aversion to poultry. Overkill taints the taste buds...
As an aside, my husband won't eat lamb either. Because, he thinks it tastes wild, gamey. I've explained to him that sheep were the first domesticated animal. He won't budge though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 03:52 am
How odd . . . we ate mutton when i was a child, although not that often. I like mutton, lamb, i can do without.
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 03:54 am
By the way, one of my favorite canned soups is Campbell's Scotch Broth. However, on those rare occasions when i could find it at the store to purchase it, i noticed that it was always "Product of Canada." I guess there aren't enough mutton producers, or perhaps mutton lovers, in the States.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 04:07 am
In days of old
The men were bold
The women were bored
And the sheep were nervous
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 04:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

How odd . . . we ate mutton when i was a child, although not that often. I like mutton, lamb, i can do without.

Good little Ozzians were raised on lamb when I was a munchkin.

Can't stand it now....it tastes really rank and I feel ill and stink of it for days if I force any down for politeness' sake.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 04:45 am
Others may dispute this, but i think the flavor and aroma of lamb is stronger than that of mutton.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:01 am
@Setanta,
LAmb and goat kid all have a huge bank of tallow on their fell. This has to be removed lest it make me gag. However, lamb raised on grain and kept quiet (No stampeding for fun) will result in a meat that is finely flavored like veal almost.
Mutton can be cooked till the tallow is gone and its usually not prepared ina meal of the meat by itself. When I was working for Dublin, the restaurant next to my hotel would cook mutton and cabbage at any time of the day. God it was awful.

I can see , by my admission of not liking lamb too much, I will probably be kicked off the Lamb ADvisory Board.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:05 am
@farmerman,
Back to Canajia. Is there a really "BEST" of the best in moose jwerky? Ive had some from NS and it tasted just ok, but this place near Fredericton NB sells these various types of moose jerky that one could have for a meal by itself.

I memmber a time a few years ago, I was over near Harveys Station walking to Macadam (fossilizing) . I had a bag of jerky and a canteen. When I got back to Macadam I was stuffed and cpoiled my supper . That stuff must blow up in your stomach
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:19 am
@farmerman,
So ... there must be Silence about the Lambs?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:20 am
@farmerman,
Scotch broth depends on fatty mutton. For some reason, the English refer to this as "fat-tail sheep." They commonly ate saddle of mutton and mutton chops (the latter for breakfast!). It was a sign of affluence that they could eat meat at every meal, and the meat they ate was usually mutton.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 08:16 am
@Setanta,
One of the "finer meated" sheep breeds is the SOuthdown, a relatively short legged stocky sheep that is usually raised to muttonhood. Its not as disagreeable as some lamb Ive had.
"Scotch broth" never had it knowingly
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 08:23 am
@farmerman,
Basically, it's a fat-rich broth with stew meat size chunks of mutton in it, carrots and perled barley. Other diced veggies to taste.
Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:08 am
@Setanta,
I thought Scotch Broth was just broth. I don't think I've ever bought a can, though, but I think the picture just shows broth. Regardless... it can probably be anything you want.

I love lamb but I've never had mutton. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store. How does the taste differ from lamb?