The Canada Thread

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 03:42 am
@mckenzie,
That was all pretty damned funny, but the last line was hilarious. People in t.o. love the Leafs even without Lord Stanley's cup. I suspect if the Leafs ever actuaaly manage to win it, there will be a serious spike of deaths from heart attack in t.o.

mckenzie wrote:

-70: Hell freezes over and the Leafs win the Stanley Cup
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:09 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
I can't find "Dave cooks a turkey". If anyone else can find it, I'd appreciate it. It is a very funny story by Stuart McLean.

Here ya go, Darlin' . . . Dave cooks the turkey. There's a link at the bottom of the text for the "Dave cooks the turkey" sketch, and it opens a new Quicktime player window. I'll keep lookin' to see if i can do better.
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:39 am
@Setanta,
Wonderful!
Loved it.
Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:43 am
@Ceili,
MCkenzie posted that "Temperature scale" for reference and I have close experience with some small restaurant in St Johns Newf. We were eating near the outer wall windows and it was foggy and maybe 45 degrees out. They had the windows wide open and everybody seemed to be ok with that. (So we hadda move close to the kitchen).

I too have been selectively listening. Im gonna file these and whoop up an MP3 for the car, they are that good. GREAT!!
Our humore is embodied in such things as "Car Talk" or certain skits in "Prairie Home Companion" although, even PHC is sometimes showing Keilors advanced age.

There was one item by this Newfie Guy ("Jimmie the JAnitor? may have been his stage name). He produced some neat letters to his Mom and they would have him do these as spots on the radio.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:04 am
@Ceili,
I was really interested in seeing Rick Mercer in action, but unfortunately the link provided was temporarily (I think?) unavailable. Or maybe just outside Canada .... ?
So next best thing: try youtube.
This is from 2007:

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:50 pm
http://www.jimmythejanitor.com/listen.html#
I've never heard of him. Here's his home page. I can't listen to it, as I can't get whatever plugin is necessary. Maybe you can.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@msolga,
This cross border thing can be a wee bit frustrating. Sorry, it should work as it's CBC's page. Regardless, I'm happy you're liking the show...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
Thank-you very much. I love that story.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:17 pm

Here's an excerpt from a few years of the Just for Laughs Festival.

http://www.hahaha.com/

Jeremy Hotz
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:52 pm
@Ceili,
Shawn Majumder on Canadians in America:

Ha.
That was very funny, Ceili.
As an Australian, you have no idea how much I related.

There have been moments in my o/s travels when, on discovering that there's an Australian present, people have responded with absolute delight .... sort of like they've just discovered a koala in their midst! Aw how cute, an Australian! Laughing

Or, once once when I was waiting for a bus in England, I struck up a conversation with a very debonair Indian-English businessman ....
His response when discovering I was Australian?:
"Really? But you speak English so well! No one would ever know!" Laughing

I have this feeling that traveling Canadians & Australians might share quite a few similar experiences.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:08 pm
http://pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/nohetero1.jpeg
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:17 pm
when visiting canada it might be helpful to take some lessons in the newfoundland dialect also . it's an enriching experience !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqLuIXwsLDw&feature=related
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:02 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/8thfire//2011/11/its-time.html
The 2nd installment of an excellent series on Aboriginals in Canada.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 01:14 pm
When I was up in Vancouver my sister invited me to watch the post production work on her new show "Arctic Air".
It's on CBC on Tuesday nights. I think you Canucks will enjoy it.

http://www.cbc.ca/arcticair/about.html
Ceili

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:34 pm
@panzade,
I've been watching it. Some absolutely beautiful scenery up there. I've never been that far north, one day I hope to see it for myself.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:39 pm
@panzade,
it's a pretty good show, the writer for Arctic Air also wrote a great aboriginal drama called North of 60

of the new CBC shows this year i'm enjoying Mr D the best
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:45 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
of the new CBC shows this year i'm enjoying Mr D the best

Well . . . i hope you're learning something young man.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 03:59 pm
@djjd62,
Adam Beach is a hottie!!
I loved North '0' 60. I used to see a lot of the cast in the neighbourhood. I would bump into Teevee all the time at the local Max store. I haven't seen him in a while, heard he got into to some trouble.. I hope he's doing ok.

Mr. D is so very dry. Too funny!!
Ceili

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 04:03 pm

So true!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 04:17 pm
@Ceili,
North of 60 was amazing.