The Canada Thread

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:12 am
@farmerman,
I'm a city girl. I know there are butchers around here that specialize in wild meat. I don't hunt, but of the friends of mine who do, the only meat they turn into jerky or pepperoni is deer meat. It's very fatty. I've never had a venison roast or steak.
At Christmas, here at the local fort, a replica of the first Hudson's bay post in the area, they offer a dinner that the first settlers would have eaten. It consists of pickled moose snout and real beaver tails. Not the Toronto pastry. I've never tried either delicacy, but the pastry is pretty damn good. I've cooked moose meat a few times when I've been given it. You have to add oil, as it's very dry. I normally get it ground up and turn it into a spaghetti sauce or make a stew. It has to simmer for a good long while though.
NFLD has more moose than humans, and I'd imagine they probably know a few things about making it palatable.
I've had bear meat too, I'm not sure what species, black or grizzly. Perhaps, because it's from the pig family and if you don't cook the living daylights out of it you can get trichinosis, or maybe because it was an older beast, I found it grisly. The natives use bear fat on their hair, it makes it shiny. It's kind of stinky though, it probably also protects them from being mauled whilst walking in the bush.
I've only ever had mutton done Jamaican style, jerked or in India with curry. They again, I'm not sure if it was goat or not.
My taste buds have been spoiled. All the meat, pork, and lamb up here is grain fed. I've tried beef in other places and you can tell the difference. Corn and hay fed animals taste like corn and hay. Ewwww!! Oddly, even though my family in Ireland raise sheep, I've never had lamb in Ireland..
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:21 am
Scotch broth is as Set describes, however I've never had it from a can. I've worked with a couple of Scottish chefs and they would make it a couple times a month. Again, I'm not sure if they used mutton or not. Around here, because of the big Indian/Pakistani population you see Mutton for sale, but I'm not sure if it's from a goat or sheep. The Greeks and people from the former Yugoslavia are big on lamb. When I was a kid, the Croatian family who lived across the street were swarmed by the police once. A neighbour saw what they thought was a naked kid (human) being dressed and roasted on an open spit in the backyard, and called the authorities. There was a lot of red faces when it was discovered that it was a lamb, not some weird case of witchcraft...
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:48 am
@Ceili,
gettin so that you cant have a decent coven meeting anymore
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 07:45 am
@Ceili,
Bet the sheep weren't appeased.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:51 am
@Mame,
If you bought Campbell's Scotch Broth, you'd get what i described. I've not seen anyone else selling canned Scotch Broth.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 10:53 am
@Setanta,
Apparently Campbell's Scotch Broth has been discontinued in the U.S.

The version made in Canada is still sold in Canada.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 11:18 am
'Merica just became a sadder place . . .
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 01:14 pm
@Setanta,
so if I get this right, There is no alcohol in scotch broth?
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 02:33 pm
@farmerman,
Were there, i wouldn't be havin' any . . . even in the days when i was a drinker, i couldn't stomach scotch . . .
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 05:01 pm
@Setanta,
Ats ok, that meant that there was more single malts for me.
SIngle malt scotch and a wee dram a rainwater is a wonderful sippy drink.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 05:57 pm
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:03 pm
@Ceili,
see now we could do a Hardy Weinberg distribution or a SNP bck clcultion on Ma And PA Kettle.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:16 pm
@Ceili,
Cool! Dem Canucks sure can ****.

I feel a limerick coming on......
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:32 pm
@dlowan,
Not much else to do in the long winters..
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:59 pm
@Ceili,
Perfect for reading long, scholarly works and generally improving your mind, I'd have thought. Or learning to play the piano accordion.
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:06 pm
@dlowan,
Making whoopee's more fun, plus it keeps you warm.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:17 pm
@Ceili,
In Northern Ontario, it's all about the snowmobile and beer.

That's it, that's all.
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:21 pm
@ehBeth,
And they call Albertan's rednecks... Wink
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:24 pm
@Ceili,
just think about it - all those great songs Stomping Tom wrote about life in Ontario

honest to gawd eh, let's get in the cahr and go down to the bahr
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:33 pm
@ehBeth,
all on a Sudbury Saturday night..