The Canada Thread

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks Canada!
You could have prevented such a monumental craptastrophe that is Starship Invasions (1977).

But you had to let them film in Toronto.

Ed Hunt's willing executioners! That's what you are now and forever.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
https://imgur.com/QQ5aRGT.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:33 am
@tsarstepan,
shape of water baby

https://torontolife.com/culture/movies-and-tv/shape-water-filming-locations-guillermo-del-toro/

https://globalnews.ca/news/3982150/canadians-oscar-ontario-shape-water/
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 10:08 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Thieves in Quebec have made off with a massive haul of maple syrup worth up to $30 million in an unusual burglary targeting the world's most important association of producers of the Canadian confection.

Quebec provincial police are investigating after the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, in an inventory check of one of its warehouses, noticed that a large number of the barrels it uses to store its maple syrup were empty.

The warehouse, in St-Louis-de-Blandford, 160 kilometres northeast of Montreal, held about 3.4 million litres of bulk maple syrup and is part of a global strategic reserve of the sticky liquid.

The federation of producers said the Sûreté du Québec and an auditing firm are determining exactly how much the thieves took.

"The St-Louis-de-Blandford warehouse had been secured by a fence and locks, and visited regularly," federation president Serge Beaulieu said in a news release.

The statement said the syrup was being held at the warehouse temporarily while the finishing touches are put on a new storage facility in nearby Laurierville, Que. It was supposed to be transferred over the coming weeks.

If the entire warehouse's contents were stolen, it would represent more than a tenth of Quebec's 2012 harvest, and more than a quarter of the federation's inventory.

The stock of syrup was insured, the federation said, so its members will not lose financially.

The Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers is the industry association for the province's 7,500 producers, and administers a bulk sale system with quotas on individual operations. The federation also keeps nearly 13 million litres in syrup in three warehouses to stabilize global supply and prices.

Quebec produces three-quarter's of the world's maple syrup. The province's output hit 33 million litres this year, down about five per cent from last year but way up from the lean harvest of 2008.

Courtesy of the Mother corp.. or CBC

There's a great one hour documentary on Netflix on this subject:
The Maple Syrup Heist (2018) from the Netflix series, Dirty Money.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 08:12 am
@ehBeth,
Shape of Water? Best movie of 2017.

But you also gotta love Canuxploitation films. Okay... admire their audacity ... if not necessarily love.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 04:28 pm
Ontario politics are nutso right now.

PC party leader resigned three weeks ago as a result of sexual impropriety claims. Leadership campaign has started. Former leader was kicked out of the caucus earlier today. An hour ago he became a candidate for the leadership.

There is a provincial election in a few months.

It is nutso.

Before all of this started, it looked like the PC's could have taken the election.

On the upside, for them, they do have two very strong candidates in the leadership race.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2018 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

shape of water baby

found out last week that one of our good friends had a bit part

she's in the first 5 - 10 minutes

she was pretty happy to find out she didn't end up on the cutting room floor

(she's the one who got our little dog a gig as an extra in big fat greek wedding 2)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 12:04 am
Who da thunk, when I started this page, we'd become a security threat?
We are now the enemy and Russia is your new best friend.
We had a good thing going for 150 years but like gravity, all things high must eventually plummet. And who was to have thought, it would be a "war" fought 55 years previous to our confederation that would cause such a stink. 214 years ago the Whitehouse burned - not even down. It was pink, they repainted, rebuilt it a bit and redecorated, and redecorated, and redecorated.. Man, does time fly.
Anyway, the fact that the British were responding to the US burning down York (now Toronto) wasn't really mentioned.
(There is a huge plinth in N. Ireland dedicated to the man who lit the fuse. We all share the glory is all I'm saying.)

But nature hates a vacuum, I guess. Too much of a good thing causes things like cavities or diabetes, eh!
And haters gotta hate.
I'm sorry that our PM held a press conference after the G7 conference, I know, it was completely unexpected way to finish the whole thang. I'm sorry the Whitehouse's spineless mouthpieces felt Trudeau stabbed your "leader" (who showed up late and left early - all the while tweeting about horrible we are) in the back by standing up for our country's workers, it must have been such a shock to hear that.
To help the cause, I am staying away from any business here with ties down south. I wouldn't want my foreign currency to taint your CEO's bottom line.
I'm sure you'll understand. It's going to be tough, as most businesses here have a connection or 40, but I feel strongly, that in order to prove what good neighbours we are, we must make you feel safe. And in order to do so, I'm going to act like you.
I'm only going to buy Canadian. And I'm going to pretend that those stickers aren't really placed there in China.
Who need's strawberries in January? Or tomatoes... but now that you've kicked out all your field hands it's cheaper to buy local.
And we'll buy our own milk, thank-you. It's not our problem you have an over supply of the stuff, fix your own problem. We don't want it dumped here.
Screw Walmart, and Safeway, and Starbucks, Home Depot, McDonalds, KFC, and Costco (ok, that might be slightly difficult). Regardless..
I'm going to yell at people with American accents and tell them to talk Canadian, whatever that means.
And I'm going to discriminate against Christians, 'cause deep down they really want to be martyrs, right? So no cake for them, or respect. lol
But I'm still going to read Bloom County. Cause some of you aren't that bad..

I'm signing off now. Going down to the bunker to plan our next diabolical move. Be warned USA, the gauntlet has been thrown, and pay back is a bitch. Or a trade war, where nobody wins.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 01:06 am
@Ceili,
I believe, Ceili, that you are behind all this mess.

https://i.imgur.com/b3TLEyNl.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:38 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Regardless..
I'm going to yell at people with American accents and tell them to talk Canadian, whatever that means.
And I'm going to discriminate against Christians, 'cause deep down they really want to be martyrs, right? So no cake for them, or respect. lol
But I'm still going to read Bloom County. Cause some of you aren't that bad..

I'm signing off now. Going down to the bunker to plan our next diabolical move. Be warned USA, the gauntlet has been thrown, and pay back is a bitch. Or a trade war, where nobody wins.

Sounds especially well thought out, Ceili. Someone has to put those yankees in their proper place! Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 02:59 am
These seems a suitable place for this.

I'm half British and half Iranian, so half of me hates America and everything it stands for, and the other half is Iranian. Omid Djalili
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 05:54 am
Smoke 'em if you got 'em eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 06:39 am
I can't see the difference . . . them folks down at the Legion go around the corner and fire up, and have been doin' it as long as I've known they were there. Are things supposed to be different?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 07:17 am
So, Canada, eh? Looks like I may come up to Toronto more often...
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 07:46 am
@Setanta,
Big free party breakfasts all over downtown to celebrate. Given that our neighbourhood/block is already famous for the smell of skunkweed, not much will change around here.

Seems weird that people will be able to use the stuff in places they can't drink.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 07:54 am
@McGentrix,
Some states not far from you were way ahead of us - have you done any of the tours?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 07:58 am
@ehBeth,
The feds can still hook you up and not worth it. I can neither confirm nor deny that when I go to Las Vegas I take advantage of the freedoms allowed there.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 08:34 am
@McGentrix,
Ohio - Ohio was ahead of us a couple of decades ago. They just didn't talk about it. Listened to a funny radio doc last night - people on a weed tour of Colorado - kind of like the wine tours people do around here.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 01:55 pm
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31j%2BN5NNa2L.jpg
0 Replies