The Canada Thread

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 04:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
my point has been that Canada is relly and actually 5 separate nations that are forced to act with one voice. Ive spent too much time in the Quebec, Maritimes and the Northwest to not be able to see how folks really feel.
Take our Texans who espouse secession and, then, just multiply that by qt least 4, and you have Quebec, and Nunavut is more like Puerto Rico or Hawaii (where as many s half the citizens would really like to be free of us)
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 05:15 pm
Federal bump.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 09:42 am
@Kolyo,
Do Canadians even exist anymore? Why the comatose thread?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:04 am
@farmerman,
What? we have Canada Day celebrations like mad.

Canada150 celebrations are going like gangbusters. Free skating rinks all over the place.

We may not talk to outsiders about it the same way as the elephant below the belt but Canajuns can be powerfully Canajun.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:05 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm busy trying to get my hometown thread going Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
I came, I saw, I posted.... Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
I have a piece of copper sheathing (probably from an aft plaque) that is an embossed decoration of the Canadian Symbol and a date 1927, it says "Confederation'Our Country"

I came across it stuck to our anchor in the Bay near Cape Blomiden . I smoothed it a bit and did NOT clean it except to remove dirt. Barnacles dont like copper.

Are you familiar with stuff like this?? Ive since mounted it in a wooden frame(No holes or messing with it) and I have it hung on my studio wall with a picture of the piece of wood into which the anchor was impaled
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 10:59 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
the Canadian Symbol

the beaver?

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:03 am
@ehBeth,
no I guess its still a Royal seal. Ill see ifn I cant find one somewhere as an image
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:07 am
@farmerman,
Heres one I found. I just googled canadian confederacy plaque '1927"

https://img0.etsystatic.com/015/0/7183641/il_570xN.434215468_2j4o.jpg

Theres apparently a bunch of em out there and they all look as old as mine (except some douche bags clean em up and remove any patina of age and grace. ). Was there some significance to the 60th anniversary?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 11:31 am
@farmerman,
ahhhhh the coat of arms!

1927 was the Diamond Jubilee of Dominion Day

https://vmcdn.ca/f/files/sudbury/images/LocalImages/dominion-day-ottawa-on-wellington-street-1927.jpg;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000

even Charles Lindbergh got involved

https://tayloronhistory.com/2011/06/28/celebrating-canada-day-in-1927-the-60th-anniversary-of-confederation/

this was big

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1927-diamond-jubilee-broadcast-links-canadians
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 01:06 pm
@ehBeth,
so they were putting these things on the prows of boats??

PS--thanx a bunch. The time interval was driving me nuts. So 60 was the diamond Jubilee of Dominion Days??

I gets it.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:03 pm
@farmerman,
60 years is the Diamond Anniversary

so ... Diamond Jubilee

people were still talking about it during our Centennial year ... when I became aware of anniversary stuff

I thought it was neat that we had neighbours who had been my age for the Diamond Jubilee and whose grandparents had been around in 1867. I think it was the first time I really got how new a country Canada was. I was only a few generations away from people who'd lived there before there was a country. I was wowed by that for quite a while.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

so they were putting these things on the prows of boats??

nope

http://www.oneroomschoolhouses.ca/blog/1927-diamond-jubilee-of-confederation-wall-plaque

Quote:
I found an article about the plaque in the Montreal Gazette - December 21, 1927 and it said -

With the co-operation of the various provincial governments in Canada the national committee for the celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation are placing a copper plaque, suitably framed, in every public and separate school building throughout Canada. The plaques are now in process of manufacture, and it is expected to have the bulk of them out by the end of the month.

The plaque, which is attractively designed, carries the motto, "Canada Our Country" for the English speaking communities and "Canada Notre Patrie" for the French Canadian sections. It is twenty by fourteen inches and, besides the motto, the Canadian coat of arms is superimposed, surrounded by clusters of maple leaves. At the top is the word "Confederation" and at the sides "1867-1927", forming a permanent record of the historic event celebrated this year.

The plaque was first suggested by the chairman of the National Executive, Hon. George P. Graham.

The provincial prime ministers have been asked to arrange for some sort of patriotic unveiling ceremony in connection with placing the plaques in the schools.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:08 pm
Quote:
The fiftieth anniversary of Confederation was not celebrated, nor were there any other Commonwealth celebrations in 1917, by royal proclamation. In 1927 they went a little crazy to make up for lost time...
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought, in the US , we call the 75th the diamond anniversary, but Im not sure of anything ever since trump is fouling up the white house. I guess the 50th was all tied up with a war in Europe, eh?
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 06:14 pm
@ehBeth,
wow, Im gonna print that out and paste it on the back of the framed one I have. I found mine in the bottom of the Bay of Fundy, didnt know they had any schools out there
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
yup

no celebrations in 1917

___

The current Queen had her Diamond Jubilee in 2012 - 60 years as the crown.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2017 07:40 pm
@farmerman,
The discussion on that page about the plaque is interesting. People finding them all over the country in random locations. You should post your story in their.

Oak frames are traditional eh.

and pfffffffffft

a couple of terrific universities down there
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2017 03:25 pm
https://i.imgur.com/Z9puTR3.jpg
Samuelson scores 33 as UConn beats Duquesne 104-52
You're welcome Canada?