The Canada Thread

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:09 pm
@Ceili,
That's an interesting story - thanks for sharing the link.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:28 pm
@Ceili,
What a great story!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 07:37 pm
@Ceili,
I also posted this on my facebook page. I found out about it because a friend of mine liked the story on another friend's page, whom I don't know. Because of Facebook's new timeline, this story from a total strangers page popped up. So, I wrote my friend a note, told her I was stealing it and passing it along.

She just wrote me back.

Quote:
I'm glad you liked that story as well. It's close to our hearts as my mom's family participated in the rescue. My mom tells the story about how her Dad was out helping to harness and pull in the rescued men from the ocean, so when he got home he was soaked and cold. After washing up (no running water, let alone hot water back then) he called out to my Nana for clean underwear... she sheepishly told him that she'd given it all way to the poor men from the ship when she went to help. They had one of the crew stay with them aftewards and for years and years, this man's family would send a barrel of clothes to my Nana, which came in handy with 13 kids, especially after my Grandpa died leaving her a widow.

I had no idea. Cool.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:49 am
@Ceili,
There was a lot of coverage on the story in the past few weeks. Apparently there will be a memorial in Nfld in the summer.

~~~~~

Separately @ msolga - are you able to access the tvontario website?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 09:40 am
@Ceili,
CBC did this story a few years back at which time they interviewed Mr. Phillips. They also reviewed the story recently, i guess on the occasion of Mr. Phillips' death. He specifically stated that he had never known a white person to be kind to a black person.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 05:13 pm
This is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. A guy in Edson, A.B got arrested for some kinda drinking offence, the rest is history..

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Video+Edson+belts+Bohemian+Rhapsody+police/6381033/story.html
Mame

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 06:45 pm
@Ceili,
That's funny! Hey, I think I know that guy - amazing he knew all the words in his state Smile
Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 07:07 pm
@Mame,
and the instrumental bits...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 07:45 pm
@Ceili,
you can tell it's Canada, because he's not in cuffs.

you don't get to sit in the back of an American cop car without the bracelets...

(the galileos are priceless)

and the RCMP at the end...
Below viewing threshold (view)
panzade

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 12:03 pm
@demonhunter,
I'll be straight with you DH.

You're nothing but a nuisance and a waste of my reading time.
I'm gonna report you and if others do the same we'll have you outta here in the time it takes to squash a cockroach.

See ya,
panzade
dlowan

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 02:46 pm
@panzade,
This is getting as annoying as DH Panzade!!!!!
panzade

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 02:48 pm
@dlowan,
don't get what you're saying D
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:38 pm
Irishk

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:07 am
Photo from National Geographic's "Space Pictures This Week" series:

http://domania.us/silver//great-slave-lake-aurora_51454_600x450.jpg
Canadian Eye Candy
Photograph by Dave Brosha, My Shot

Campers gaze in awe as an aurora seems to embrace a snow-covered hill in Canada's Northwest Territories, seen in a picture recently submitted to National Geographic's My Shot.

"I should have been sleeping, but I was like a kid in a candy store with excitement," photographer Dave Brosha wrote with his submission. "Bloody hell, the north is a beautiful place."
Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:17 am
@Irishk,
Thanks Irish..
Don't know how I missed this...
There have been some spectacular shows this year with all the sun spitting out all kinds of stuff this year. The lights tend to look like this where I live, sometimes we get more colours. Sometimes they dance and twirl and get bright like this filling the entire sky. Do you see them where you live?
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:32 am
@Ceili,
Brilliant ! ! !
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:42 am
@Ceili,
We sometimes can see them, given the right cloud conditions. I think they've even shown up on auroramax (a cool aurora borealis cam site).

Here's the Northern Lights map for today:

http://www.arcticrange.com/sites/all/modules/aurora/icons/northamerica/b/1.png
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 08:45 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403415_10151564915655389_726310388_23898226_272376380_n.jpg
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 06:22 pm
The form letter to cure all Harper government missteps

Memo from the Office of Prime Minister Stephen Harper: In an effort to streamline the process, the Conservative Party of Canada has produced a form letter for ministerial apologies.

We have given this matter serious consideration and hope (not unreasonably, the Prime Minister would like to stress) that this form covers every conceivable eventuality. Ministers are asked to please fill out the form 7 to 21 days after the need arises.

Dear [choose one],

Taxpayers,
Conservative voters,
Family-loathing separatists,
Airport security personnel,
Svalbard,
Sentient beings of the riding of Alpha Centauri West,
It has come to my attention that questions have been raised about [choose one]

sensitive documents I left at the home of my girlfriend, the biker moll.
the search-and-rescue helicopter that gave me a ride from my fishing vacation.
my lost weekend at a swanky London hotel where armies of perfumed eunuchs grow orange trees right before your eyes, and then pluck the succulent fruit so that unicorns may squeeze the juice in a breathtaking ballet.
the many gazebos my department erected on your distant planet as part of our U.S.-Canada border-security plan.
the fact that I'm Helena Guergis.
I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that I have thoroughly investigated the [choose one],

unfortunate incident,
oversight,
misunderstanding,
accounting discrepancy,
mass interplanetary slaughter,
and that the events in question [choose one]

took place without my direct knowledge and now require the attention of someone deeply familiar with the portfolio, and that would be me.
are an unavoidable consequence of me not having the foggiest notion of what goes on in my own department.
have further deepened our understanding of the picnic needs of the residents of the Alpha Centauri West in a way that promises to be most beneficial to hard-working Canadians.
I want to be clear that I take full responsibility for the thing of which I still only have the vaguest knowledge, and about which I was quoted out of context. And I am [choose one]

prouder than ever to be Canadian.
chastened but unbowed.
sorry if you have chosen to take offence.
unreservedly sorry.
admitting that I had reservations on a sorry but cancelled them when a more expensive sorry came to my attention.
I ask that you please accept [choose one]

this hastily written cheque.
my aide's resignation.
another aide's resignation.
this construction contract.
John Baird yelling in the House of Commons.
John Baird yelling just outside the House of Commons.
John Baird yelling on The National.
John Baird standing on a street corner yelling at passing cars.
John Baird yelling across 29.6 trillion light years at your bloodied yet undefeated riding. (Trust me, this works.)
This morning, I offered my resignation to the Prime Minister and he [choose one]

turned it down!
Seriously, can you [choose one]

believe that kind of awesome?
I really do not think there is a better man to lead this country in a strong, stable majority than [choose one]

Stephen Harper.
No one is sorrier than I am to be asked to be this sorry, but I would remind Canadians of the [choose one]

pandas.
Olympics.
Royal Wedding.
Arctic.
sponsorship scandal.
At this juncture we can all agree on the need to move forward. Hindsight is always 20/20, but at the time the unfortunate decision was made I was [choose one]

having breakfast, and thirsty.
drunk as a skunk.
the tender age of 40.
actually sitting in the cockpit of a fighter jet, and that was cool.
completely unaware, and I had no way of knowing, other than to ask, that the gazebo is a highly offensive symbol in your culture. I deeply regret an action that my department now acknowledges was the equivalent of erecting a large bronze penis balancing a swastika on its nose in every single park in the once-beautiful riding of Alpha Centauri West. And then blaming Alpha Centauri East.
Sincerely,

______ , Minister of _______.
0 Replies