The Canada Thread

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:24 am
@djjd62,
WOW! That is some kinda powerful song and Edwards is just a great lyricist. Thanks for bringing her up on my radar dj.
I have a couple of questions. Vesta Lounge? Janet May?

Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:48 am
I Make The Dough, You Get The Glory lyrics

Blazing a trail to the southern cities
From the streets of our hometown
Basement bars we played from the heart
In the company of our friends

If I write down these memories
That I have saved away
Photographs of the years that passed
Inside my little brain

You're cool and cred like Fogerty
I'm Elvis Presley in the 70's
You're Chateauneuf, I'm Yellow Label
You're the buffet I'm just the table
I'm a Ford Tempo you're a Maserati
You're the Great One, I'm Marty mcsorley
You're the Concorde, I'm economy
I make the dough but you get the glory

Big fish small pond and some cover songs
We sang along the way
We used to midnight run to the Vesta Lunch
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/vesta-lunch-toronto
Cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes
Once I got drunk with Jeff
I told him I was in love with you
But I love you like a brother
So at least half of it was true

I'm Elvis Presley in the seventies
You're Chateauneuf, I'm Yellow Label
You're the buffet I'm just the table
I'm a Dodge Sparkle, you're a Lamborghini
You're the Great One, I'm Marty mcsorley
You're the Concorde, I'm economy
I make the dough, but you get the glory

If I write down these memories
That I have saved away
Photographs of the years that passed
Inside my little brain

I'm sure it's been said in the finer print
You make me look legitimate
Heavy rotation on the CBC
Whatever in hell that really means
I'm Elvis Presley in the 70's
You're the Concorde I'm economy
I make the dough, but you get the glory

Both Marty McSorely and Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo) are in this video.
Janet May?? I'm not sure of what you speak.
The great one is Wayne Gretzky.
panzade

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:58 am
@Ceili,
Thanks! I did google the lyrics but I was hoping someone would place the cultural meanings of Vesta Lounge and Janet May. Now I think the lyrics might have been interpreted by a Serbian teen.

http://lyrics.filestube.com/song/5120c2d95cc70ede03ea,I-Make-the-Dough-You-Get-the-Glory.html
Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 12:03 pm
@panzade,
Too funny! Kathleen just put out a new album. I've heard a couple of cuts from it, it's pretty good. You can listen to it here. http://www.kathleenedwards.com/n.htm
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 06:08 am
@panzade,
the Vesta Lunch is a classic greasy spoon in Toronto, the story is, it's 24 hour/7 days a week, 365 days a year schedule came about when the lock on the door broke and the owners never got around to fixing it, so they just stayed open

here's the yelp page
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/vesta-lunch-toronto

when i lived in Toronto in the 80's the Vesta had a great steak and eggs for about $5
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:06 am
@panzade,
Janet May is a very well-known (locally) member of the Environmental Alliance in Toronto.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:18 am
@ehBeth,
What is the Nunivit flag ?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:21 am
@farmerman,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Flag_of_Nunavut.svg/220px-Flag_of_Nunavut.svg.png

Quote:
The flag of the Canadian territory of Nunavut consists of gold and white fields divided vertically by a red inukshuk with a blue star in the upper fly. The colours blue and gold were selected to represent the "riches of land, sea, and sky", while red is used to represent Canada as a whole. The inukshuk, which divides the flag, is a traditional stone monument used to guide travellers and to mark sacred sites. In the upper fly, the blue star represents the North Star (Niqirtsituk), an important object due to its key role as a navigational beacon, and as symbolically representing the wisdom and leadership of community elders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Nunavut#cite_note-heraldry-0

http://www.tmealf.com/nunavut.htm
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:29 am
@ehBeth,
neat.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:32 am
some of my fave Kathleen Edwards songs

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:34 am
@djjd62,
her line about CBC rotation is funny as you probably can't listen to the CBC for more than a few hours right now without hearing Kathleen Edwards. love it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:34 am
Thanks guys!
After FM has his question answered I'd like to ask Canadians their reaction to the veto on the Keystone pipeline.
This is a typical take from the U.S. media:
Quote:
The latest chapter in Canada's quest to become a full-blown oil superpower unfolded this month in a village gym on the British Columbia coast.

Here, several hundred people gathered for hearings on whether a pipeline should be laid from the Alberta oil sands to the Pacific in order to deliver oil to Asia, chiefly energy-hungry China. The stakes are particularly high for the village of Kitamaat and its neighbors, because the pipeline would terminate here and a port would be built to handle 220 tankers a year and 525,000 barrels of oil a day.

But the planned Northern Gateway Pipeline is just one aspect of an epic battle over Canada's oil ambitions — a battle that already has a supporting role in the U.S. presidential election, and which will help to shape North America's future energy relationship with China.

Is Harper pushing a new pipeline? How do Canucks feel about becoming a player in the oil game?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 08:49 am
@panzade,
Harper's pushing, though I don't think oil "superpower" is quite on his agenda.

I'm against all of it. Primarily against the pipeline.

I've recently been re-reading quite a bit about the Berger Inquiry of the 1970's.

I think this collection of pieces from the CBC archives is useful for an intro to the subject.

http://archives.cbc.ca/politics/rights_freedoms/topics/295/

or the wikipedia shortcut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackenzie_Valley_Pipeline_Inquiry

I'm still not a pipeline believer.

sidenote: I recommend reading Elizabeth Hays' Late Nights on Air for a fictional take on Canada's Far North in the 1970's while the Berger Inquiry was going on, and the CBC presence in Yellowknife
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 07:56 am
@Ceili,
"The Canada Party: America, but better." Yeah, that about encapsulates it. Except you have no Pecan nuts in your pecan pies and call them "butter tarts" to cover it up.
Ceili

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:38 pm
@panzade,
People would be surprised if they actually knew how many pipelines are already in the ground. They are everywhere in cities and criss cross the N. American continent quite extensively.
These two pipelines have hit a lot of nerves, some for the good reasons and some for really dumb reasons.
A pipeline should not be put through sensitive water areas. Lazy planning on the part of the oil companies. There is no moratorium on digging, mining, pumping it. In fact there are several more areas in Sask. and N. Dakota that will soon be competing with the McMurray. There is no end in sight. Regardless of how this oil gets moved, it will be moved. Pipelines are the safest mode of transport. Not trains or trucks, these have all too commonly crashed or gone off the tracks causing all kinds of headaches. It happens all the time, everyday, in every province and state. And if you'll have noticed most roads/train tracks skirt waterways, rivers and lakes. You can build a pipeline far from water sources.
Canada is already a major player in the oil industry. We already ship our oil to more than domestic and US markets. These pipelines will do it more efficiently and at a higher rate.
Harper has very little to do with it. Unlike the States, this is very much a provincial/community/big business thing. Although, if he was anti-pipeline, he'd lose his seat in Alberta, and quite possibly lose majority he holds so dear...
I can understand the concerns of all the different groups. If it doesn't get approval one way, it will another. I'm not really a supporter, so much as I am a pragmatist.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:48 pm
@Ceili,
good reasoning. The entire Obama stoppel is to get the damn pipe out of the and hills and the ogallala because, unlike rivers and loakes, it would almost guarantee that a spill in a ground water recharge area would take decades, if not a century to clean up and the cost would be ouuta sight.
The guys who did the original siting for the pipeline must have had their heads up their asses for thinking that this route would even be considered.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 11:05 pm
@Thomas,
Those damn butter tarts.. they'll be the ruin of us yet.
People either love 'em or hate 'em. What blows my mind is how many people comment on them. I haven't had one in years, but for some odd reason anyone that comes here manages to find them. And that ain't necessarily easy. Smile
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:00 am
@Ceili,
Years ago we went canoeing in The water trail of Algonquin Provincial park. It was like day 3 and We were tired canoeing and were gonna camp and we floated near to this village along the portage area. In the village was a lady who had a sign out to sell "Saahveneers" (How she pronounced it). A ND----She also sold butter tarts!!. There were six of us and we bought ALL of her butter tarts for the day and thats all we had for supper, butter tarts and beer. HEAVEN!!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:42 am
@farmerman,
That's pretty close to a sig line there, farmer.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:33 pm
Years ago, I'd heard a story in passing of a black man ship wrecked off the coast of Newfoundland only to be rescued by the local towns folk. According to the story, he awoke to find a woman trying to scrub the black off his skin. She had mistaken his skin colour for crude oil from the sunken wreck. She'd never seen a black man and he had never seen a kind white person.
Today I found out that this is not just a story, but true. Today I was able to put a name on the man and the village, and put a face on a legend.

http://www.mun.ca/mha/polluxtruxtun/images/people/lanier_phillips_large.jpg

Lanier Phillips, a black U.S. serviceman who has credited his 1942 rescue off Newfoundland as transforming his life, died Monday. He was 88. Phillips, who would have turned 89 on Wednesday, passed away at a military retirement home in Gulfport, Miss.

Phillips was just 18 when the U.S. ships Pollux and Truxtun went aground at a cove on Newfoundland's Burin Peninsula. The story of his rescue has been told in television and radio documentaries, and recently in the play Oil and Water.

Women who washed Phillips' black skin originally thought that his body had been covered in oil that they could not cleanse. Embraced by rescuers from the Burin Peninsula towns of St. Lawrence and Lawn, Phillips often said the experience opened his eyes to a world beyond the harsh racism he encountered in the South.
R.I.P.
This is an interview and article by the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/15/AR2010091507189.html