The Canada Thread

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:28 pm
@Ceili,
I lived in the Big Nickel for a while. Every word of a Sudbury Saturday Night was still true 30 years after the song was written.

<shudder>
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:29 pm
hamburgboy just recommended this wonderful documentary that is available for viewing through the TVO website

nothing to do with Canada

http://ww3.tvo.org/video/162798/farewell

Quote:
Farewell is the travelogue and love story of the young aristocrat 'newspaper girl' Lady Grace Drummond-Hay and the much older Karl von Wiegand, both correspondents for the Hearst Press empire. They are both passengers aboard the LZ 127 'Graf Zeppelin', the first zeppelin in history to circumnavigate the globe in 1929.

amazing footage so far (I've got another hour of it to watch)
panzade

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:02 pm
Just finished a great book about the Canuck experience; specifically, life in Winnipeg in the 60's.
It's by Randy Bachman of Guess Who fame and it's called Vinyl Tap Stories.
I understand that's the name of his radio show. Anybody heard it?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:05 pm
@panzade,
Set and I listen to Vinyl Tap devotedly. I usually listen to the same episode a couple of times a week. I'm a total Vinyl Tap geek - I'm subscribed to the weekly newsletter.

I'd love to get tickets to one of the shows when they're on tour. Tried last time - no luck - tickets were sold out - even when they added two shows - boooooo hooo!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:10 pm
@panzade,
http://www.cbc.ca/vinyltap/
Yup, Vinyl Tap is on every friday night. He's always got his guitar by his side. I listen to it when I get a chance. Not sure what the schedule is on satellite. I like it, it's kinda quirky.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I've only ever driven through, can't say it left much of an impression.. Though it was 20 years ago and it was a stressful trip. Long story.
Ceili

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Cool, I'll give it a look. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:19 pm
@Ceili,
I've got good Sudbury stories and bad Sudbury stories.

My favourite Sudbury story goes back to the summer of 1978. I was living in Tundra Bay (Thunder Bay), working on a co-op engineering work term for the Ministry of the Environment doing air and water quality monitoring (there are a thousand stories around that job). I was to go back to Waterloo for the next semester.

Plane strike! no train or bus tickets to be obtained to get back to Southern Ontario.

A friend took his old station wagon off the blocks it had been living on that summer and he drove from Waterloo to Thunder Bay (15 or 16 hours). I got in from a work trip, loaded my possessions in the old Woodie and I started driving toward Kingston (18 hours of driving).

Just before we go to Sudbury, Gourdo told me that the Woodie basically had no brakes, so I wouldn't be able to stop the vehicle at any red lights on a down slope - Sudbury is verra verra verra hilly. I had to drive through town in the right lane - and keep turning right if the light turned red (and pray we were the first vehicle in that lane when the light turned red).

We made it to Kingston, and then drove to Waterloo. Two days later, the police pulled over the Woodie and took it off the road. Unsafe to drive Shocked
panzade

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Gourdo must still hold a grudge; he voted down your post
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:24 pm
@panzade,
I hold a grudge too - there was a pair of my favourite red socks in that vehicle when the police took it away.

Hard to believe. I remember those socks over 30 years later. Still pisses me off.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Good lord, I think I've been in that car! lol
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:56 pm
@panzade,
One of the interesting thing about Vinyl Tap is how he organizes the material. He takes suggestions from the audience, and some aren't bad, but his own ideas are often brilliant. Sometimes its a theme in the lyrics, another time it will be the use of a particular instrument, or a recording technique. A couple of years ago, he did a series of shows on electric guitars. It got so detailed he did one entire show on Fender--the Telecaster and the Stratocaster, and their electric bases. By the way, the last name is "Back-man," not "Bock-man." He pronounces it Back-man, and think i'm safe in assuming he knows how to pronounce his own name.
panzade

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:06 am
@Setanta,
As in Johann Bach is how I always heard it.
There's a lot more to him than I knew. He's been associated with a lot of great rockers
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:11 am
@panzade,
That ain't how he says it . . .

His shows are full of anecdotes of those great rockers, i think you'd love it.
panzade

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm
@Setanta,
I think you're right. My sister gave me the book for Christmas. She's a transplant.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:36 pm
Special for the Canada Thread : The Wayne and Shuster Show

( if you are old enough to remember the Ed Sullivan Show )
.................................................................................................
" all these records for $ 6.95 - offer not available in canada "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFEu8q0nZ0&feature=related
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:43 pm
It's the NHL All Star Game this weekend

0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 06:06 pm
HELL, yeah!
0 Replies

panzade