If kids refuse to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 12:57 pm
If kids refuse to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?

Depends if they are a boy or a girl.

BBB

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 01:33 pm
When I was a kid, being unable to sleep at nap time was considered an act of disobedience. I finally developed a technique of feigning sleep. When my step dad discovered the deception, I got chewed out pretty thoroughly. Don't know why. I was quiet and out of the way, like they wanted, a pretty good while, those times.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 02:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here's some help for you:

Do you want to know how to look like you are sleeping even if you are not? Have your parents told you to go to sleep but you want to stay awake? Follow these steps to find out how to make it look like you are asleep!

Lie in a sleeping position. Make sure that you are laying down at all times, in case someone finds you. It would be more convincing if you were laid in bed or wherever you normally sleep. Lay in a natural position, how you think you normally sleep. Make sure you look convincing; you could do this by curling your arms round or bending your legs instead of just laying straight.
Think about how you normally sleep. If you usually sleep under the covers, make sure you are lying under them. Make sure you are doing everything you normally would if you were going to sleep.
Think about how you normally have the lights. Turn off the light while you are in the room, unless you sleep with the light on. If you leave any lamps on or night lights, make sure they are on.
Listen out for people. If you hear someone coming, close your eyes but don't scrunch them up. Close them naturally.If you can't do this cover up your eyes with a pillow or something. Listen for footsteps or voices outside your room, or people opening your door.
Know what to do if you aren't prepared for them coming. If someone walks in or looks around the door and you are not laid in a sleeping position, don't make any quick movements or they will see or hear you. Just close your eyes and try your best to stay still and act like you are falling asleep or have fallen asleep.
Think about the best way to lay. Lay facing away from the door or wherever it is light, to reduce the chance of the person seeing you if you open your eyes or make a mistake. If you don't think it will look suspicious, pull your covers up to your neck or around your face.
Make sure you're breathing properly. Breathe heavily and slowly as if you were asleep, but don't over exaggerate it. Try to be realistic. If you sleep with your mouth open and breathe through your mouth, do that. If you breathe through your nose with your mouth closed, do that.
Know what to do if they find out you are pretending. If someone asks you whether you are awake, murmur a little and move uncomfortably and then drift back into 'sleep'. You should make this convincing, so don't open your eyes and don't move straight away. If the person/people happen to be standing close to you keeping your back turned/lying on your front will help, as that way they can't see your face.
Don't overdo it. If someone comes over to try and wake you up, make sure you respond. If you lie there without moving then they'll figure out that you are faking.
Entirely calm and relax yourself. This is definitely the most important step. When you sleep, you are reverting to your natural state of body and mind. Release the tension in your neck, hands, or shoulders. Don't think about your breathing, it should come naturally.
Think about something else. Most people smile when they pretend to sleep. To avoid this think about something soothing and relaxing like sleeping kittens or lying on a sunny beach. You could also consider trying out a guided imagery or meditation exercise, as these can be great ways of relaxing the mind and body.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 02:49 pm
I looked asleep, but, as he let Sam get up, his face was directly over mine. When I thought: "Nap over," my eyes popped wide open and we were eyeball to eyeball. Hell, I was only five, or even four.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 03:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm so pleased you have such wonderful memories of your brother, Sam. He was lucky to have you.

BBB

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 06:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Sam was a cute little butterball, early on. He grew up skinny as a rail.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 09:32 am
@edgarblythe,
I have to know the secret you are hiding. Did Sam snore when he slept?

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 12:42 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Not that I recall.
0 Replies