can anyone explain this sentence?

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 03:08 am
If kissinger had formerly seen domestic political pressures for a credit ceiling as a possible bargaining chip, he had now lost the freedom to offer the economic benefits that, he believed, would give Moscow an interest in restraint.

what is a bargaining chip? I don't quite understand the whole sentence. Can anyone explain it to me, please. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 672 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 04:48 am
A bargaining chip is something you can offer someone which might motivate them to concede something you want. Senator White offered his vote on the farm subsidy bill as a bargaining chip to get Representative Brown to support the House version of his fuel surtax bill.

As for the rest of it, you haven't provided nearly enough context for anyone to give you a meaningful answer. We don't know what Kissinger's bargaining chip really was, nor how it related to restraint on Moscow's part. It seems apparent that Kissinger's bargaining chip was something he could use in negotiations with the members of the United States Congress, but who the hell knows for sure? You haven't given us enough context.
0 Replies