Warning to those who use neti pots

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 01:55 pm
This came up on another thread, so I thought I'd let everyone here that uses one (including me) in on this news....

Please read, seriously.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/19/143960631/second-neti-pot-death-from-amoeba-prompts-tap-water-warning[url][/url]

Also, as I mentioned on the other thread, please make sure you're using the proper salt, as table salt & kosher salt burns, as does using water without salt.

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:00 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, thought of the neti-users here when I read this.

Definitely boil your water before you use it! Don't use straight tap water!

(Wait until it's stopped boiling before you use it in the neti pot though. Protip.)

Edit: kosher salt works fine though, that's what we use (because it doesn't have iodine). A little baking soda helps soften things.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:01 pm
I bought a gallon of distilled water to use, and when the jug is empty, I'll keep boiled water in it. (didn't have any empty jugs)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:03 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Yeah, thought of the neti-users here when I read this.

Definitely boil your water before you use it! Don't use straight tap water!

(Wait until it's stopped boiling before you use it in the neti pot though. Protip.)

Edit: kosher salt works fine though, that's what we use (because it doesn't have iodine). A little baking soda helps soften things.

interesting soz. I tried kosher salt, and it burned me. I'll try adding the baking soda. maybe I'm more sensitive.
the neti pot salt is a little pricey.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:05 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

yes, I think not putting boiling water up in your sinuses would be a very good thing.

Shocked
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 08:20 pm
@chai2,
Just fixing the link for others if they want to read it...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/19/143960631/second-neti-pot-death-from-amoeba-prompts-tap-water-warning
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 09:44 pm
I have been using a neti pot since 1977.
It's never mattered what kind of salt I put in the water.
(My teachers, Baba Hari Dad and Swami Rama, taught us only that the water should be as salty and as warm as tears)
If you are getting burns or other discomfort, cut back on the amount of salt you are adding and be gentler with yourself.

I was very concerned when I saw this article a few days ago and have started boiling any water I will use. Now I have to experiment with how long to warm the water in the microwave.

Joe(I learn something every day.)Nation
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 02:17 pm
I use a salt preparation (60 packets to the box),, without problems (so far) called SinuCleanse. Each packet contains 700mg Sodium Bicarbonate and 2300 mg Sodium Chloride.
Phone: 1 888547-5492
www.sinucleanse.com
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
0 Replies