COVID-19 - Going to Supermarket and/or Drug Store

gollum

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 05:11 pm
I live in New York City. I have heard that people should stay indoors. One should even avoid going to the supermarket and/or drug store.

If I go to those places but do not touch my face until after I arrive home and wash my hands, then what is the danger of going out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,484 • Replies: 22

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 05:25 pm
@gollum,
Your mucous membranes are dandy places for a virus to hide - your nose and eyes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:25 pm
The most common form of transmission is aerosol--someone who is infectious coughs or sneezes. Wearing a mask can help, but as Jespah points out, the virus can enter your body through the eyes. There is an anatomical tube in the inside corner of each eye called the punctum. Tears drain into the nasal pharynx through the puncta. Pathogens can enter the body through the puncta. If you have to go the the supermarket or the drug store, wear a mask, don't touch your face until you can get home to wash your hands, and stay at least two yards away from everyone else--no exceptions.

Here's why:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Sneeze.JPG/800px-Sneeze.JPG
gollum

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta-

Thank you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:12 pm
The latest info is that just talking is enough to launch droplets into the air that can infect - not just sneezing or coughing. That’s why the directives have subtly changed from” masks are just to keep you from infecting others unwittingly”, to “ masks can help protect you from your nfection”.
Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:20 pm
@snood,
Absolutely--that's why you need masks when you go out in public, and that's why you need to keep the distance. Carrying a baseball bat might discourage people from getting close to you.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:32 pm
@Setanta,
The S Korean Dr who is the top man in that country's response to covid has said opnly that the leadership of the US needs to have btter information. We seem to be waddling around directionless. He stated that , for example. Face masks DO help staving infection, both causing and resceiving. Part of the uccess of Koreas program has relied havily upon masks being distributed to the people. Here we have FEMA competing with states and contractors selling masks at usurious markups.

Mrs F made a bunch for us all and some of our neighbors (and she talked with mrs Stolzfus about having her girls sw a bunch accoring to a plan. OURS have layered GOOCH filters inserted into where the airflow would be. The masks dont fog up glasses because that peri nasal area is free of any airflow. It all goes through the gooch.

A gooch filter is a tight wove or Asbestos fiber fill to capture .4 micron sized particles . Its usually a water borne sediment filtr so it works rally well in air.
gollum

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman-

Where in the U.S. can a layman buy an appropriate mask?
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:07 pm
@gollum,
Hve any associations with a uni that has a teaching hospital chool?
Other than that, a vet upply pharma. (We can get a few at a Vet hospital down in Chster County).
till, I like my ifs Gooch filter and mask stup.

I saw today that several of the football tams have donated thir planess to fly over to Asia and get ppe's. I think the Pats have gotten a few million masks loaded onto their team plane . Now the other teams are doing the same.

At least they wont be fighting with FEMA outbidding the hospitals and health agencies.

WHAT was the name of that US COE GeNERAL THAT bUSH PUT INCHARGE OF kATRINA WHEN fema FAILED
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 08:10 pm
@Setanta,
I wear my afty sideslats on my glasses at all times Im out . They are 85% effective in noxious gas and badass particulates ND STUFF TO 0.4 MICRONS
snood

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Hve any associations with a uni that has a teaching hospital chool?
Other than that, a vet upply pharma. (We can get a few at a Vet hospital down in Chster County).
till, I like my ifs Gooch filter and mask stup.

I saw today that several of the football tams have donated thir planess to fly over to Asia and get ppe's. I think the Pats have gotten a few million masks loaded onto their team plane . Now the other teams are doing the same.

At least they wont be fighting with FEMA outbidding the hospitals and health agencies.

WHAT was the name of that US COE GeNERAL THAT bUSH PUT INCHARGE OF kATRINA WHEN fema FAILED

That was Lt. General Russell R. Honore
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
0.4 MICRONS

per the mask-making gurus you need 0.3 or smaller or don't bother
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:30 pm
@ehBeth,
its not an N 99 . Its more like firing an arrow through a dense forest, youll catch most.
ALL masks have risks anyway .0.4 mn i about a nar limit to breathing without a separate O2 SCU. HAz mat suits were .4 for field use and we were in radioactive material (alpha emmissions) They would get stuck along the route.
We do isolation , the Gooch and we only go to a market in the very early AM or go to an AMish market where theres usually only 2 customers at any time.

I gotta go to TSC tomorrow to buy catfood . I can order by phone and they bring it out. I dont mind into the back of my pickemup truck

delivery

The Korean doctor said that any double layer of cotton cloth made into a fce shield is much better than nothing. He said he often walks the street looking like a western movie(He wore a full face carpenters dust shield and a bandana over that). He was insisting that there were many styles of masks that had many levels of protection and the masks also serve as a reminder to you and others about maintaining safe distance. In US thats gonna be a must because many of the (under 30) kids are ignoring the whole thing while the adults are following it.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:08 pm
@snood,
One of the guys who worked with mr. G'bag has a great story about working to set up comms for Gen. Honore....Honore just gets to the point and he expects his command to do the same thing....Honore is a National Treasure.
snood

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 04:19 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

One of the guys who worked with mr. G'bag has a great story about working to set up comms for Gen. Honore....Honore just gets to the point and he expects his command to do the same thing....Honore is a National Treasure.

I very much agree. He can disassemble a disaster and calculate exactly who and what is needed in exactly what quantities in exactly what timeframe. It’s what he did (as much as he was allowed to) in the aftermath of Katrina.
He is a very exceptional person.
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:29 am
@snood,
I told my wife early in this. "Why doesnt Trump get the Katrina general from COE. He hosted NO **** from contractors.
Having Pence "in charge" is just a cover, Pence is job secure and can be marginalized by the "Boss". Im starting to see that already.
snood

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 06:04 am
@farmerman,
Trump could not countenance a man like General Honore taking the reins and/or the attention. He is too good - too direct- too effective (not to mention Black).
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 07:22 am
@snood,
Well that's one thing that separates Bush from Trump. Although Bush was undoubtedly on of the 5 worst presidents, TRUMP will asily displace Bush on the bottom. Hes beginning to be found out by the endangered school of GOP. The Limbaugh wing has so much invested in this clown that they are not backstepping on their "support".
Kathleen Sebelius stated ysterday that "We wasted 2 months and as a result the COVID-19 death count is probably much higher because weve not made any effort to conduct sampling. ALL that falls to the presidents desk. By making false optimistic claims and failing to spearhead testing, hes merely trying to retain his higher numbers, not deal with our national crisis.

IMAGINE, weve a national health crisis and a totally clueless administration whose only twoweapons are demonization , casting blame, and outright lying.

Their on;y three weapons are demonization, casting blame, outright lying, and a clueless devotion to politics over leadership.

AMONG their weapons are demonization, casting blame, outright lying, devotion to party politics, and a personal disregard of the ntions welfare

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:08 pm
Texas governor says Trump's recommended treatment is being tried on a group of elderly. I need to find a link. I took this from TV.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 05:09 pm
Here it is
https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2020/04/06/30-texas-city-nursing-home-residents-with-coronavirus-are-being-treated-with-unproven-hydroxychloroquine-drug/
0 Replies