The NFL Superbowl Thread! Back Again With Big Prizes*

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:35 pm
Yet, even with using bookies odds, you still weren't perfect every week Spendius. I don't think anyone has had a perfect week, thus no need to add an additional variable to the game. Perhaps, you can do, as many of us Americans do, play 2 games at the same time! I am in an office pool that every week we bet actual coin on the games using the spread. Yet, I still manage to come here and enjoy making my choices based on win/lose and enjoy the entertainment of playing with my fellow A2Kers and keeping track of who does well and who doesn't. I like seeing my name near the top of the list, or at least above some peoples...

One of the fun things about American Football is that anything can happen on any given Sunday.

Perhaps you should play in Barclays EPL league ( http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ ). I do that and it's s good time. That will give you your soccer fix and the you can still play here using your bookies info to win. I like the challenge of wondering if I will beat you that week.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:52 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm not talking about a perfect week. The bookies are subject to the bounce of the ball as well. I'm saying that over a season the bookies will likely be more right than anybody else and that with them as a guide you will likely top the standing here playing against people who are using another guide. From a standing start I should have been struggling to beat coin toss.

I only came on to motivate me to have a closer look at American football than I had previously done. I know a lot of people can't be wrong. Bums paying to sit on seats in large numbers always impresses me. You and I would have to pop ping-pong balls out of our backsides into a jam jar 3 times in four to get bums on seats.

I'm an NFL fan. I pester my pals in the pub about it but they don't want to know.

I never make any contact with promotions on TV as a matter of principle.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:42 am
@George,

they are playing well now -- when it matters.

interesting factoid...
Quote:
The Giants were outscored through the first 16 games, 400-394, and would become the first team
in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with a negative point differential during the regular season.
(globe)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:54 pm
Quote:
Keep a lid on it: IPL manhole covers put in lockdown
Utility completes work to keep lids on 150 Downtown and prevent further explosions

Work is done to keep the lid on exploding manhole covers during the Super Bowl and beyond.

Indianapolis Power & Light Co., which has been bedeviled by one manhole explosion after another
in the past two years, said Thursday it has locked down 150 of its manhole covers Downtown.

That's 50 more locks than IPL said last month it would install.

Fifty are on Georgia Street, where a Super Bowl Village will draw thousands of fans beginning in a
week. Other locks were installed in high-traffic areas near Lucas Oil Stadium and elsewhere.

The locks cost $1,200 each and prevent the steel lids from lifting more than 3 inches in the event
of an explosion.

The last such blast, on Delaware Street in November, heavily damaged a parked car. It was the fourth
launched lid of 2011.
(full article)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:57 pm
@Region Philbis,
Geez.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 07:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
have they checked for alligators in the sewers?

one alligator with a briefcase of c4 can do a lot of damage...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:58 pm
Nachos? check. Dip? check. Beer? check.
48 hours until the Super Bowl. I wonder where my score card is.
Patriots favored by 3, I hear.
I see rumors of the NFL going to having 13 Thursday night games in the future, up from 8. If so, it would probably mean that the NFL would be on TV at the same time as some college games.
And the NFL is making noises about adding two teams. They really want an LA team but need one more to keep an even number.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 10:32 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
13 Thursday night games in the future, up from 8.
these will be on the NFL network, a pay channel that some cable companies do not include in their basic packages.
comcast boston is one of them.
fortunately for us, one of the local networks always works out a deal with the NFL, so we won't miss any patriot games...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 12:19 pm
Anyone here? We seem to have a football game scheduled for today; about 6 hours from now.
I found my scoring sheet. It is a bit dusty. Choosing the New England Patriots to win the Super Bowl are Thack (final score: 35-28), Tsarstepan (38-21), McGentrix (34-24), and the Bahstain Mafia: Region (52-48), Jespah (17-10), Rhys (24-20) and George (24-21). CoinToss also has the Pats (40-30).
Despite two excellent QB's, I expect the score to be at the lower end.
GO GIANTS!
CowDoc

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 12:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
Just saw that the Madden NFL simulation has the Giants, 27-24. Of course, it picked the Steelers last year, and the Pats when they were 18-0, but it's been right as lot more than it's been wrong.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 12:50 pm
@CowDoc,
It looks like it has been/will be cold in Salmon. Night time lows in the low teens but highs around freezing. Not bad.
Here in the mountains of Virginia it has been mild. We had the doors to my store propped open a couple of times last week.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 12:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
The Pats will win cause most of the money in the LAs Vegas line is bet on the Giants. DId I mean to say that football is fixed?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 12:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
checking in

we followed an SUV down the 401 earlier this afternoon - Ontario vanity plate - PATS WIN

I suspect they were on the way to the big tailgate party the NFL is sponsoring here in Toronto. I also suspect there wasn't much competition for that vanity plate in Ontario.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 01:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Anyone here? We seem to have a football game scheduled for today; about 6 hours from now.
I found my scoring sheet. It is a bit dusty. Choosing the New England Patriots to win the Super Bowl are Thack (final score: 35-28), Tsarstepan (38-21), McGentrix (34-24), and the Bahstain Mafia: Region (52-48), Jespah (17-10), Rhys (24-20) and George (24-21). CoinToss also has the Pats (40-30).
Despite two excellent QB's, I expect the score to be at the lower end.
GO GIANTS!

Ha! Brady by himself will make Manning and his 3rd grade schoolmates he calls his teammates cry like a bunch of babies that they truly are!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 05:15 pm
Checkin' as I listen to the humble hum of the space heater. RP, of course, is downstairs watching every nuance.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 05:35 pm
@jespah,
Tuning in to cbs sports. One of the few times I miss a tv.

Meantime, I'm dipping cheap tortilla chips (Calidad, my favorite) into canned salsa (La Costena). Well, so it goes.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 05:40 pm
@ossobuco,
you may be able to watch it streaming on nbc (it's blocked in Canada)

give this a try

http://snfallaccess.nbcsports.com/
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 05:41 pm
@ossobuco,
nbcsports.com seems to have live video coverage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 05:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Too much bs re silverlite to go through. I routinely have trouble with mac and flash, and don't want any more trouble. But thanks, if I were more savvy I might push it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
johnboy, it's the same silverlight thing. I'll pass. Back to gametracker, which has a certain simplicity.