Laces ... OUT!!! ... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4653/aargh300x279.gif
George

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:39 pm
I'm still stunned.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:41 pm
I have Thack and Liontamerx tied at 18 points, followed by Ragman at 17.
spendius

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
If you had designed NFL rules John the ******* stadia would be empty.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:19 pm
@spendius,
What on earth are you bitching about now?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:36 pm
Bah!
CowDoc

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Wow!! What a pair of games!
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

What on earth are you bitching about now?

this is highly speculative, but he may merely be pouting because the guy that put him in check - more than once in this thread - is (news to him) kicking ass in the a2k playoff pick-um
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 04:55 am
@thack45,
I was merely trying to point out that if you organised this game in an office full of dizzy broads at $10 a pop, weekly, you could clean up. It would be handbag rifling.

farmerman came on a long while ago to point out the problem. He was obviously right.

I did a post about a couple at the races to clarify the matter.

It's daft giving a point for every Packer's win and a picker of the Chiefs in the one Packer's loss gets only one point for an 8-1 punt.

With that there's no incentive to look anywhere else than the betting market for guidance. And then every player ends up equal top.

In the keen competition for the horseracing Tipster of the Season in the UK the result is determined by the amount won betting on his "Nap" selection each day and not on the number of winners he picks. If it was the latter they would all be picking the hotpots.

My two Pick-um titles were due to my taking advantage of the ladies on here in that way and taking advantage of ladies is not my style. I hope nobody thought it was because I was an expert on the NFL.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:47 am

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/lacesout-1.jpg

laces out...
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Hysterical and so apropos!
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 07:35 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
... I hope nobody thought it was because I was an expert on the NFL.

Rest assured.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 07:52 am
@Ragman,
Simply to make the point I intend next season, if permitted, to try to get below Coin Toss and Jespah in the final standings. That is just as easy in the present format as being top as long as nobody else tries to compete. Easier probably.

For example--C/T is statistically likely to have picked the Packers half of the time whereas I would pick against them on every game. If I remember correctly they were 15-1. So just on the Packers I would be about 7 behind CT. Another 6 with the Pats.

One thing you all ought to bear in mind is that you cannot say anything about me which lowers my self-esteem any lower than it already is. I'm a scientist for Gawd's sake. What scientist could have any illusions about his self-esteem?

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 07:56 am
@spendius,
My comment was directed to the 3 Stooges Field Goal kicking demo posted by RP. Sometimes things written here are NOT about you.
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 07:58 am
@Ticomaya,
...but laces are supposed to be out or towards the goal posts. When they showed the kick in replay, they were facing generally the right way...or am I wrong?
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:54 am
@Ragman,
It's a habit of mine Raggie to only use the "reply to all" function when there is a reason for doing so. I generally reply to the last poster partly because it saves a bit of scrolling and partly because I think it looks snooty to not do. Like pointedly ignoring the last contributor to a conversation invariably does.

I'm sorry if I confused you.

I might say that the number of successful place kicks in NFL is highly commendable and points to a very high degree of skill in the unit involved.

The point at issue is where does rjb's game go now that a number of players have sussed out the method I used to win the title twice and for which I claim no credit.

As farmerman said, a version of the spread should be brought into our deliberations. I have my own ideas and if anybody wishes to know what they are they need only ask and I am happy if they are revised by anybody with better ones. The sole objective being an improved game bearing in mind that calculating the standings can't be allowed to take up too much of rjb's precious time.
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 10:07 am
@spendius,
I think the way the playoff contest was set up was just fine. The intent here seems to be to encourage a CASUAL friendly competition. You seem to want one that has a different more serious orientation.

If you don't enjoy the rules as they were constructed, why participate? I see no one else concerned about them except you.

Constructive suggestion: Create your own next year and set it up the way you want.
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 12:28 pm
@Ragman,
You might "see" nobody else concerned about this but the majority have not shown their hand.

The play off contest has resulted in only a few of us having an interest in the Superbowl from a partisan point of view.

If it's a casual friendly competition (a contradiction in terms) you want you can't possibly be a real NFL fan. Such a thing, the contradiction notwithstanding, patronises the footballers. Competitions are serious or they are nothing.

And you forget farmerman's interjection. You just want to protect rjb and I can assure you he doesn't need it.

I just want to tweak his game. I have no intention of starting one of my own.

It is quite possible that the "worst" ESPN guy won more money backing his selections than the "best" one did. Being best or worst under rjb's rules is circular. Winning money is scientific. We know who is best then. The American way. I'm more American than most on this site.

So now you know you're not into science eh?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 02:13 pm
When it comes to JRB's NFL"pick 'em" games, I am a lady, Spendius, and I expect to be treated like one!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 02:17 pm
@Ragman,
I read a bit ago that Cuddiff was rushed (though the writer said he could have called a timeout). Naturally, I forget the source of that.