what stir the old folks out?

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:11 pm
Does it say "cormorants stir out the old people"?

Context:

Fir and pine by the fane keep cormorants
Till solstice feast days stir the old folks out;

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 820 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 11:42 pm
@oristarA,
No, it's the solstice feast days that stir the old folks out. Or, to put it another way, the feast days encourage the old folks to go out.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 01:03 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

No, it's the solstice feast days that stir the old folks out. Or, to put it another way, the feast days encourage the old folks to go out.

So "cormorants" are the "old folks"?
contrex

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 01:04 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

A cormorant is a bird.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 09:10 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

A cormorant is a bird.

So the "folks" here only refers to "people"?
McTag

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 09:57 am
@oristarA,

Folk means people, nothing else.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 02:01 pm
@oristarA,
You must remember, ori, that this is poetic writing, not necessarily subject to a grammatic analysis. Cormorants are birds. Pine and fir are trees. A fane is a temple. So what the entire passage means is that the birds sit in the trees, as in a temple, and the holidays celebrated at the time of the solstice (probaly Winter Soltice in this context) encourage the old people to bestir themselves and to move.

Addendum: I'm not familiar with this poem, so I'm not sure but it's possible that the writer is refering to the birds -- cormorants -- as 'old folks' who've been sitting in the trees and now bestir themselves.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 04:31 pm

Put the rest of the poem up, please. It looks to me like you are trying to analyse a poor translation. If we have more text, this might become clearer.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 10:09 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Put the rest of the poem up, please. It looks to me like you are trying to analyse a poor translation. If we have more text, this might become clearer.

The original text is an anti-copy version.

The whole context in the whole book is here:

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=Sc-shy_ZOMkC&pg=PA377&dq=Fir+and+pine+by+the+fane+keep+cormorants&hl=zh-CN&sa=X&ei=QqzyTvKeBcyhiAf0_Y3OAQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA

If too long to be clicked, copy it into your brower address bar and press enter.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 05:12 am

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=Sc-shy_ZOMkC&pg=PA377&dq=Fir+and+pine+by+the+fane+keep+cormorants&hl=zh-CN&sa=X&ei=QqzyTvKeBcyhiAf0_Y3OAQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Fir%20and%20pine%20by%20the%20fane%20keep%20cormorants&f=false

I've read some of the book and comments now.
The meaning of the poem is quite obscure, but I'm sure "old folks" refers to people, and not to the birds.
0 Replies