Can the "which" be left out?

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:01 pm
(1) I think "which" could not be left out in " Welcome to the White House (which) provides its millions of visitors with an array of useful information". What do you think?

Context:
As one of the most popular web sites on the Internet, Welcome to the White House provides its millions of visitors with an array of useful information, including facts about the Presidency, the history of the White House, a record of our nation's progress, a special children's site, and access to agencies and services throughout the federal government.

(2) What does "drawn" mean?

Context:
John Harris, a member of the Human Genetics Commission, told a meeting at Westminster he did not see any distinction between aborting a fully grown unborn baby at 40 weeks and killing a child after it had been born.

Harris, who is a professor of bioethics at Manchester University, would not be drawn on which defects or problems might be used as grounds for ending a baby's life, or how old a child might be while it could still be destroyed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 542 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:07 pm
(1)

The title of the site is "Welcome to the White House", and so is treated as a proper noun. The content of the title doesn't really matter. "Able2Know provides its millions of visitors with an array of useful information." Etc.

(2)

I think a word may have been left out of the example, or else it is a non-American usage. (?) "Drawn out" would mean "we attempted to get Harris to say which defects or problems might be used as grounds for ending a baby's life (etc.), but he rejected our attempts and didn't say anything on the subject."

To draw someone out generally means to try to get a shy person to speak, or to get someone to say something they don't want to say. Think of trying to coax a turtle out from its shell.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:05 pm
(1) That's it! I should not be so careless. Embarrassed
(2) Interesting!

Thanks Sozobe! Very Happy
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:47 pm
sozobe wrote:
(1)

The title of the site is "Welcome to the White House", and so is treated as a proper noun.

Reads like a statement to me

Quote:
The content of the title doesn't really matter. "Able2Know provides its millions of visitors with an array of useful information." Etc.

"Welcome to Able2know provides its millions of visitors with an array of useful information"

Meaningless.

Insert "which" and it makes sense.
0 Replies