despatch = report?

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 10:49 pm

Context:

Stop! Stop! Screamed the police. Then 20 armed men swarmed around my tuk tuk and hauled me out: Our reporter's gripping despatch from China's rebel village

More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075598/Stop-Stop-Screamed-police-Then-20-armed-men-swarmed-tuk-tuk-hauled-Our-reporters-gripping-despatch-Chinas-rebel-village.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 553 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 01:17 am
@oristarA,
Yup. A despatch (sometimes spelled dispatch) is a report meant to be sent on. (Send=dispatch. Get it?)
oristarA

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Yup. A despatch (sometimes spelled dispatch) is a report meant to be sent on. (Send=dispatch. Get it?)

Thanks
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:07 pm
@oristarA,

Despatch/ dispatch is one of these words with several meanings.

Check your dictionary.

Treat with caution LA's hints on spelling.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:03 pm
@McTag,
The differences in spelling stem not from two different definitions but from divergent spelling preferences in the UK and the USA, Mc.
McTag

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 04:17 am
@Lustig Andrei,

Well okay. I refuse to make myself proficient in American spellings.
In this country, the different spellings have different meanings assigned to them, and that was the reason behind my remark. I think it is useful (vital, really) for learners to be aware of these things.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:47 am
@McTag,
Oh, no argument. In fact, in this specific case, I rather prefer the British spelling (not always the case by a long shot). It makes, as you say, a clear distinction between the two possibly different definitions. I was just making the point that sometimes the differences between British and American useage are not due to differences in meaning but merely spelling preference.
0 Replies