New York City, Boston travel info ;)

George

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Am I the only person on this thread who, as a former Bostonian, thinks that
Legal Seafoods is waaaay over-rated and over-priced for what they offer? . . .
I stand by my recommendation. I have eaten at the Burlington, Peabody,
and Park Square locations and am seldom disappointed. I started as a
Legal patron in the seventies when their only location was Inman Square
in Cambridge.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 09:39 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I would not recommend Anthony's Pier 4 at all. I've been their twice in the past few years - the service is terrible and the food so-so. It used to be one of THE places to go - but since the owner Anthony passed away, it isn't run the way it used to be. The son stinks in service.

Jimmy's is no longer in existence. The new Legal's coincedently is there along with a whole new waterfront area - beautiful walkway, etc. I work right next door so I am very familar with the area - I agree Legal's is a bit more expensive, but you always get very fresh seafood and I've never had bad service there. And the new location is fantastic - so for an overall experience it is great. Probably why I recommend it.

There are some other good seafood places that you get cheaper - like No-Names (right nearby) but for overall atmosphere Legal is better. No-names also used to be better, not as good any more. Another thought is the Fresh Catch - there is one in the North End and one not too far from this area - near the new courthouse.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:32 am
@Linkat,
Thanx for the update, Linkat. I've been away from Boston for about three years now and haven't been to Pier 4 for at least five. It used to be quite good. Alsosorry that Jimmy's Harborside closed after Jimmy Doulos died. They probably should have closed Pier 4 when Anthony Athanas passed on.
Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:54 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes it is unfortunate about Pier 4 - great location with nice views. The son is an a$$. There are still some of the old folks that have worked there forever. The bartender makes the best mud slide.

But I just can't go there after our last two experiences.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 07:58 am
We have read through all these really thoughtful, sort of heartfelt experiences and suggestions - and would like each of you to know how much we appreciated the time you took to tell us what you know. We drove over to Harvard yesterday and shopped the Square. It was cool just to see the school. We do some historical cemeteries and Paul Revere-type stuff today. I think we have MIT museum of science or tech in our immediate future. Maybe museum of fine arts... Recent expensive car problem for daughter may preclude NY trip. Kev and I were sorta sold on Acela...and kids preferring to drive in. We were going to defer to them...glad that moment not on my horizon Wink I think my tolerance for planes, trains and automobiles may have reached peak...
George

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 09:20 am
@Lash,
Welcome to Boston!
Have fun.
If you tour MIT, say hello to my money for me (my daughter went there).

I'd recommend The Miracle of Science Bar & Grille for lunch.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 11:10 am
@Lash,
LUcky you - we are supposed to be having mild weather - enjoy your time here.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 07:31 pm
The weather was idyllic. We went to Fanueil Square...the Black Rose...and had fun strolling around the lovely area. Nice birthday for the girl. Pleasant people.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 11:36 am
@Lash,
Yeah thats just because Fanueil Hall is full of tourists - not us rude Bostonians..

Must have been packed with how nice it was yesterday - I worked from home a half day as the girls had a half day of school - took them Christmas shopping when they got out so Iwasn't in town.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 09:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Not the only person who thinks legal seafood is over rated!

When are you coming, Lash?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 09:23 pm
@littlek,
Lash is either there right now, or just left.
littlek

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 09:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah.... thx
Lash

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 08:33 pm
@littlek,
Hi! We've driven in to Boston a couple of times. Shopped Harvard Square today! In Haverhill now. Smile
0 Replies