New York City, Boston travel info ;)

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 04:49 pm
@Lash,
True, it was a horror, but it's mellowed, since I gradually understood. I lived there as a kid for a year too, so together they set me up for loving new york. At the time, I was frustrated out of my gourd.
Didn't get back until 2003 when, amongst others, I met our pals Diane and Roberta. I had a deeply rich joy in walking the city, by myself and with Diane later in the week. Went to the Met something like four times.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 04:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I follow ital restaurants in NYC. I'll list some apparent wonderfuls. Some likely hard to get into now. Back in a bit.

Oh, wait, JoeNation has posted on one or more that aren't all so famous.

Listen to JN. PM him if he doesn't see this, he's the guy. Ignore my list, but I'll post it anyway, for fun.

I'll see if I can find at least one he posted about.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 05:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I give up the search for the place he last mentioned liking - pm JoeNation..
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 05:31 pm
In NYC my favorite Italian restaurant is right in Greenwich Village (where you say you want to visit anyway) It's La Trattoria at W. 11th and Greenwich Av. Not pricey, not fancy but good Italian family style cooking. In the summer you can get served outdoors at their sidewalk cafe setup, but I doubt that'll work in Dec. In Boston, almost anyplace in the North End is good.

Seafood restaurants: in NY, I dunno. In Boston, no visit is complete without a visit to the Union Oyster House, a stone's throw from Faneuil Hall. It'shoused in a 300-year-old building that -- so their story goes -- served as G. Washington's HQ for the very brief time he was in Boston atthe start of the Revolutionary War.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 05:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think I won't even go with a list of the well reviewed places - it's too late by a long shot.

Snuffles about Babbo...

You might be near and walk into - http://eatalyny.com/

multiply a store with multiple restaurants as sides

Not that I've been there, but I'd walk in, as we used to say, for sure.

200 5th AVENUE
New York, NY 10010
Entrances on 5th Avenue and 23rd Street
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:01 pm
Best Irish Pub (most authentic seeming):
I used to go the the Black Rose a lot. The Kinsale is also cool.
I can't speak for authentic.

Most dangerous neighborhood:
Roxbury
Most Boston-y sight, building, thing to do:
The Freedom Trail, Beacon Hill, but that's outdoors. I have several
interesting (to me) walks I recommend to visitors, if you're imterested.

Why the **** are Bruins tickets so much: (fume)
. . . or Cletics, or Red Sox. The last Red Sox game I went to was in
Toronto. (Hi Beth Setanta & JoeBlow!)

Best seafood or Italian restaurant
I love Legal Seafood or -- in Cambridge -- East Coast Grille.

Funkycool Bostonian experience?
Alas, I am neither funky nor cool.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:05 pm
@George,
I suppose a Duck Tour of Boston would count as funky/cool???
George

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I suppose a Duck Tour of Boston would count as funky/cool???
Especially in December.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:01 pm
Holiday Pops would be great if you like that sort of thing.
Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
Wow. Wish you could figure that out, too. Smile Sweet thought!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 11:03 am
pietrasantany.com
Pietrasanta on 9th Ave...italian family, the grandmother is the greeter.

For fish, you go to Dock's --- upper West Side or over on 3rd Ave... you pay $$-$$$ BUT you will not be disappointed.

Irish Pubs in New York: hmmm. Molly's on 3rd near 23rd Street, sawdust on the floor, accents as thick as their Irish skulls.

OOO I just remembered! For a really good, cheap, authentic Italian plate of pasta and sauce, go to the Cheese Shop for lunch. 3rd and 22nd Street. Don't go in the restaurant. Order at the counter, any sauce on any kind of pasta you want.
Bread is extra.
Butter is extra.
Drinks, I don't remember but probably extra.
Sit on the high stools and enjoy.
Don't ask them to put cheese on the Puttanesca, Joe will throw a fit.

Joe (Tell him Jonathan said 'Hello". )Nation

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
The thing with buses - is you could run into issues with traffic. Also, there tends to be more odd ball people taking the buses. And watch out if you decide to go this way for the really cheapo buses - the Chinatown to Chinatown ones - they do not have a good track record in regard to safety.

I'd go for the train as well - I do have a friend who uses the high speed train - its great - although I am not sure how expensive. The train would be a much more comfortable ride and it also goes into the center of NYC.

I'd advise against flying - unless like others say you have plenty of money - it isn't really going to save you much time - as you need to get to the airport so much earlier and you will not land right in the center of the city so you will need to have transportation from the airport to the city center.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 03:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I've done one day trips as well. Took a bus in middle school with my music class - went to see a show, got lunch visited Rockefeller center and turned around and came home.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:02 pm
@George,
Best Irish Pub (most authentic seeming):
I used to go the the Black Rose a lot. The Kinsale is also cool.
Add Black Rose is closer to authentic than the Kinsale - really authentic you gotta go to Southie

I can't speak for authentic.
Most dangerous neighborhood:
Roxbury - agreed - but there is much reason that you would go there.

Most Boston-y sight, building, thing to do:
The Freedom Trail, Beacon Hill, but that's outdoors. I have several
interesting (to me) walks I recommend to visitors, if you're imterested.
Why the **** are Bruins tickets so much: (fume)
. . . or Cletics, or Red Sox. The last Red Sox game I went to was in
Toronto. (Hi Beth Setanta & JoeBlow!)
You could try to get tickets the day of the game - sometimes they release some extras - be less than a ticket agency -
Best seafood or Italian restaurant
I love Legal Seafood or -- in Cambridge -- East Coast Grille. You can try the new Legal's in Seaport area - really great spot - although it could be crowded.
Funkycool Bostonian experience?
Alas, I am neither funky nor cool. Ice skating on the Frog Pond is really cool (and cold so dress warm).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:07 pm
@George,
Oh and you try out Bostix - you can get same day tickets for shows for half the price....some good shows. There's the Nutcracker, Peter Pan - really cool show from what I've heard, like some one mentioned the Holiday Pops, Blue man group, Shear Madness...there is a booth in Fanueil Hall and Copley Square.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:08 pm
Am I the only person on this thread who, as a former Bostonian, thinks that Legal Seafoods is waaaay over-rated and over-priced for what they offer? They have so many units now that it's become a chain operation like Dunkin' Donuts. I stand staunchly by my recommendation of Union Oyster House. Is Anthony's Pier Four still open? I know that proprietor Anthony Athanas died about a year ago. That was another fine seafood place, right on the docks. Jimmy's Harborside right next door.

Of course, if you want to see how the old money high-rollin' Boston Brahmins take their refreshment, Locke-Ober's for lunch is indispensable.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Is Anthony's Pier Four still open?
ayuh...
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Jimmy's Harborside food was always fresh, cheaper than Pier 4 and service was excellent with far less attitude. Pier 4 was mainly for pols and people who are on expense accounts, IMHO.

Once again, Locke-Ober's was for lobbyists-lawyers and pols and people that wanted to be seen.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:35 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, especially the latter.
0 Replies