Can you understand "shoe leather in Iran humanizing Iranians "?

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 03:59 am
Is shoe leather the humane image of Iran?

Context:

Bob Simpson Thailand

..Anyone who starts a war exhibits a criminal lack of knowledge of the atrocities of war. It is hard to understand that Bush / Rumsfeld / Cheney may lack imagination of what war really is about. But there is so much history written and filmed of the bloody red gore of war that I cannot understand that anyone could not foretell that once you unleash the dogs of war there is no calling them back.

Will the Americans again let their government go to war, this time with Iran?
I would suggest that the NYT start burning some shoe leather in Iran humanizing Iranians before the war propaganda takes hold.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/world/middleeast/united-states-marines-haditha-interviews-found-in-iraq-junkyard.html?_r=2&hp#commentsContainer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:30 am
@oristarA,
"Burning shoe leather in Iran" means "send some reporters to walk the streets in Iran and really understand what is going on."

"Humanizing Iranians" means "see them as people instead of a faceless stereotype."

Combined the author is suggesting that the newspaper should send reporters to Iran to more fully understand the beliefs and motivations of the Iranian people before war mongers can stereotype them as terrorists and encourage those who are ignorant of Iranians to attack them.
oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:54 am
@engineer,
Excellent!
Thank a lot.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 05:23 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
I would suggest that the NYT start burning some shoe leather in Iran humanizing Iranians before the war propaganda takes hold.

When you are dealing with such a large group of fundamentally ignorant, exceedingly gullible people, that is a damn good idea.
0 Replies