Hitchen's is Gone

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 01:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I see at various Internet sites he is now being Canonized.

Personally, he didn't appeal to me, did not care for him, or at least what he said. Still, sorry to read of how he went, not a pretty way to exit.

Some of the obits do mention that he tended to be an asshole, but that is not a deal killer for me. He is one of the top five that I would have listed under the heading "people you would like to share a meal or some drinks with" because what he had to say tended to be interesting even if infuriating. I like that.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 02:19 pm
He was also quite a sensualist, while being prim in a few ways - you can tell I've been reading up on him, catching comments from his friends. The sensuality he revelled in, he fed his mind with as well as body. Since it's generally so ill advised for health and common moral reasons, one seldom sees someone act it out openly re public disclosure. He appears to have been always engaged, and after some of those extended food and drink and talk events he'd go home and type up an article better than coherent... due the next morning.

I do pick up that he would argue for arguments sake in conversations, but take his writing as genuine opinions, if of the day.

He favored what I may be misquoting from something I read, I think in Slate, yesterday, was his fondness for the ruined table - one where friends ate and drank and smoked and argued vehemently for hour after hour, leaving a mess worthy of the time spent. Now I myself have railed against these kind of sessions - see osso talking about actors dining at her house, won't they ever shut up - but I've also had many enjoyable marathon talk sessions with friends. The idea of it tires me at this point, but remnants of my liking that may have something to do with my engagement with a2k, hearing the different voices.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 03:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Some of the obits do mention that he tended to be an asshole, but that is not a deal killer for me.

Simon Hoggart, who knew him well, says he was well known for defrauding and stealing from his friends and colleagues. At one place where they both worked, a fellow journalist was leaving. The team held a collection and raised 98 pounds. This was real money in those days. They asked the guy what he wanted as a gift and he asked for Gibbon's Decline And Fall. Hitchens was entrusted with buying this. He bought the cheapest edition possible, and pocketed the (considerable) difference.

Quote:
He is one of the top five that I would have listed under the heading "people you would like to share a meal or some drinks with"

Hoggart says that Hitchens would, at the end of a shared restaurant meal, where the discussion looked like lasting a while, say to someone "I know you're busy - just give me a blank cheque ("check") and I'll write in your share when the bill comes". He says Hitchens actually caught him twice that way.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 04:02 pm
@contrex,
a Hoggart link -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/dec/17/christopher-hitchens-remembered

I read Blumenthal on Hitchens death yesterday - no link, can't remember what site. I think he visited him in the hospital intensive care, as did others.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 08:00 pm
Quote:
Writer, philosopher, gadfly, and Slate contributor Chrisopher Hitchens died on Thursday of complications from esophageal cancer. While drinking and smoking may have contributed to his untimely passing, Hitchens didn’t regret either habit: “Writing is what’s important to me, and anything that helps me do that—or enhances and prolongs and deepens and sometimes intensifies argument and conversation—is worth it to me.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/12/christoper_hitchens_claimed_drinking_helped_his_writing_is_that_true_.html

ANOTHER reason to really like the guy!

By Kathleen Parker
Quote:
The last time I saw him, about a week before his diagnosis of esophageal cancer, was at a book party (at the same home), where a small group of us were smoking and talking by candlelight under a tree. It was one of those magical times when you want to freeze time and preserve the moment. (Though I quit smoking 28 years ago, I still find smokers to be the most interesting people at a party and often join in solidarity.) I have no idea what we were discussing, but I do remember that Hitchens declined to share a pink, gold-filtered Nat Sherman he wanted to try, saying he’d inhale the whole thing in a single drag. He did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/there-was-just-one-hitch/2011/12/16/gIQAhPjCzO_story.html?hpid=z3

Agreed.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 10:12 am
R.I.P.

Hitchens always appeared to me as a popularizer rather than a great or original thinker, at least in the field of religion. Politics and current affairs are not my thing so I'm not saying anything about that. There's nothing wrong with being a popularizer, don't get me wrong, I think it's great he got so many people to listen to him, although I don't agree with him on every thing, but broadly I agree with him.

I read his book God Is Not Great, and watched a few of his debates and interviews. I almost feel afraid to say I don't think the book was all that good, for various reasons. He was an above-average writer, but, again, I don't think he was great. He had a certain ease in his debates, and an arrogance in everything I've seen from him, which particularly irritated me in his book.

Nevertheless, it is a sad loss. He helped many to change their opinions on religion, which is no small thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFOwHWUnEQ
Quincy

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 02:30 pm
@Quincy,
Quincy wrote:

Hitchens always appeared to me as a popularizer rather than a great or original thinker, at least in the field of religion.

Religion, philosophy, ethics, etc.

I remember reading his wikipedia profile several months ago, and they had more on his education at Oxford then. I think he has a bachelors and not a first. Why did they remove this information? Here is a better biographical article on him:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/16/christopher-hitchens-obituary?CMP=twt_fd
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 09:09 am
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwb4bp5DMq1qkinreo1_500.png

Somebody is clever.

A
R
T
0 Replies