For those who don't believe in Supernatural.

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 03:36 pm
@Venomencer,
Venomencer wrote:
Then why are you arguing with me or with anybody else about whether God exists or not? Why are you glued to your seat, waiting for my questions to be answered by you? If you are indifferent to existence or nonexistence of God, why at all you are here chatting with me. Because you are in search of a "plausible and demonstrable definition of god". Am i wrong?

That's a pretty snotty ******* remark. I am not glued to my seat, and i am not waiting to answer your questions. As it happens, i am listening to a video of a debate, i am peeling carrots and cutting them up, i made myself a cup of coffee and have been contemplating what i intend to make to eat. Don't overrate your significance.

You are wrong that i am searching for a plausible and demonstrable defintion of god. If someone offers such a definition to me, i might reconsider my position, but unless and until someone does, i consider the question irrelevant. I'm not searching for anything of the kind.

I'm here because this is an online forum in which people present their points of view and other people present their reactions. Did you post this in the expectation that no one would respond, but that all the atheists would sit up, wide-eyed, saying to themselves "By God, he's right, i never thought about that!"?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 03:37 pm
@Venomencer,
Venomencer wrote:

What i said was logic is unseen, still we know what it is. Similarly some of our fellow human beings (prophets, saints) underwent such experiences which one could only undergo when they enter the spiritual realm. When you say you are happy, how could i believe you are happy, your happiness is unseen, you explain your happiness, you may say"immensely happy", " very happy" etc.... but you can never prove it to me if i keep on saying that u r not happy. But i believe tht u r happy, because i know what happiness is. Similarly all prophets and saints confirmed each other, though there are differences in outlooks, but the message is one and same....... "THE GREAT UNSEEN"

If you're referring to the word 'logic', yes it's unseen as it's just a word. However it's a junk argument you're making because while the 'word' logic might be unseen, the actual element that it refers to can not only be weighed, measured, and proved, but can also be seen with the naked eye.

Venomencer

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 03:51 pm
@Questioner,
Then measure logic, measure happiness, measure feelings and tell me concrete figures.
Questioner

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 03:56 pm
@Venomencer,
Venomencer wrote:

Then measure logic, measure happiness, measure feelings and tell me concrete figures.

I care not about happiness and feelings. If you want to measure logic go read a book on physics.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 05:26 pm
@Venomencer,
Setanta is correct in his "straw man" argument. Believers come to this forum on a self valediction exercise. Atheists usually couldn't care less about their plethora of belief structures. At best, some view them as innocuous opiates or hypnotics, and some take a more reactionary view that they are a culture medium providing succour to sociopaths. Theism is a cognitive solution to the limits of control humans perceive they have over their own lives.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 05:52 pm
@Venomencer,
Venomencer wrote:
When, matter can turn into life and life into intellect then why is it senseless to believe in the existence of a higher gradation, the Spiritual level?
It's not senseless so much as it's unnecessary.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 06:03 pm
@Venomencer,
Venomencer wrote:
Now coming towards you(if you don't believe in God). As i can't prove the existence of God, similarly you can't disprove its existence. I can't prove but you can't disprove either. Like me what you can do is, deny it.
Those positions are not the same at all. There are an infinite number of possibilities in life that cannot be disproven. For example, we can't prove that there isn't a teacup in orbit around pluto, and yet in commonly accepted daily reality that possibility is simply dismissed as being ridiculous. You can't use the argument of "dis-proof" to support one absurdity any more than another.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 01:18 am
@rosborne979,
Spot on ! Necessity is the mother of invention.

A historically functional requirement for many societies has been the invention of a divine authority figure to reinforce chauvinistic and anthropocentric behaviour and power structures. The rationality of this invention involves the sleight of hand of turning subjective invention into objective "creation". The sleight of hand is still operating by the falacious assumption of believers that they are operating on a level playing field with respect to logic. A simple observation of the arbitrariness of belief details should be sufficient to demonstrate that fallacy to believers, but their conditioned self integrity is dependent on maintenance of their particular version of the myth.
siglawoo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 03:03 am
@Venomencer,
lol just woke up and found you were here till late morning. i am done with these topics, it's a one damn Loop. i am coming in a while with lots of hash. fack it. lets party
fresco

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:45 am
@siglawoo,
Quote:
lots of hash

...one drug being as good as any other in making sense of life ? Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:05 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Spot on ! Necessity is the mother of invention.
Necessity is also the best way to prevent being sliced to ribbons by Occam's Razor Smile
0 Replies