I dropped a friend

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 05:27 pm
I sort of knew this woman in school, and we reconnected years after. She is a not a bad person, but things about her dragged me down and I ended the friendship, but now I feel guilty that i didn't handle it well, even though I do not want her in my life. She has severe financial problems from credit card debt, she is over medicated for some kind of disorder and has a very "flat" affect-doesn't show much enthusiasm, never goes anywhere, and I don't think has many other friends. She asked some large favors of me and I did them for her. She does not have much to say, her house is filthy and she didn't bother to clean it even a bit when I went over to her place in the past (dirty bathroom, cat litter next to kitchen stove)--her dog got poop all over my car once and she wouldn't have done anything about it if I hadn't said anything…I know she is depressed but she is not what I want in a friend. I can handle people's ups and downs and we all have them but this was too much. I didn't want to tell her directly that I didn't want to be friends. I felt that would be too direct. Instead I said I was busy. She then called every week wanting to get together. She became more insistent and kept calling me. I always said I was busy--as I was. Getting together always meant a half hour drive for me because she is afraid to drive distances, so we would meet and she would have little to say….finally I just blocked her calls. There is no easy way to end a friendship. I didn't want to hurt her by telling her the unvarnished truth. maybe there was something in the middle that I could have said but I was afraid the conversation might have escalated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 1
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 05:39 pm
@Miss Pinky,
You don't have to be "friends" with any person if you choose not to, Miss Pinky.
Really, it's as simple as that.
It's sounding like she's misunderstood your message or else is being persistent despite what you said (if she did understand).

0 Replies