How many bullets are one "round?"

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:36 am

Context:

The police said they found a silver 9-millimeter Ruger semiautomatic pistol under a parked car near where Mr. Pride was arrested and said it appeared that one round had been discharged. Mr. Pride has five prior arrests and was wanted in North Carolina on a warrant for aggravated assault, Mr. Kelly said.

More:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/officer-shot-and-critically-wounded-in-brooklyn/?hp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 18,592 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:44 am
@oristarA,
One bullet equals one round... May go back to when shot were actually round, as buck shot still are, but buck shot is many large shot in a single package...
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:48 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

One bullet equals one round... May go back to when shot were actually round, as buck shot still are, but buck shot is many large shot in a single package...

Thank you.

But failed to understand " shot were actually round." In addition, I don't know whether "shot" is plural or single.
RexDraconis111

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 11:06 am
@oristarA,
Technically, "shot" in this case is plural. If you take a typical shotgun round apart, you'll find several round pellets inside that can differ in size depending on what type of shotgun round you're looking at.
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 07:06 pm
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:

Technically, "shot" in this case is plural. If you take a typical shotgun round apart, you'll find several round pellets inside that can differ in size depending on what type of shotgun round you're looking at.

Got it clearer now.

"shotgun round" = the ball-like bullet for a shotgun? Inside the ball there are several round pellets?

Thanks.
Ceili

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:26 pm
http://images.cdn.fotopedia.com/flickr-2231038098-hd.jpg
This is a shotgun shell, the balls and other stuff are in the shell, but get shot out when the shotgun shoots the shell.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 06:27 am
@oristarA,
Yes; until recent times it was possible to get round ball projectiles for shotguns... Now, solid shot, or slugs as they are called resemble the mini balls used during the civil war, which were open in the back side, and expanded into the barrel, but the shot gun slug does not do this. There is a plastic sort of wadding that protects the barrel from wear, and on rifled, "deer slayer" barrels, the wadding spins the projectile, but falls away after the slug leaves the barrel... So yes, in olden days, round balls were the projectiles used in both pistols, and smooth bore muskets, and even rifles... A better understanding of the flight dynamics of bullets gave a different shape to them, but they are still referred to as round, and I think that is due to the shape of bullets originally, but the sequence of loading and firing, beginning and ending as it does in the same place, a cycle, may well be considered a round, but I think this conclusion is unlikely...
oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:58 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Yes; until recent times it was possible to get round ball projectiles for shotguns... Now, solid shot, or slugs as they are called resemble the mini balls used during the civil war, which were open in the back side, and expanded into the barrel, but the shot gun slug does not do this. There is a plastic sort of wadding that protects the barrel from wear, and on rifled, "deer slayer" barrels, the wadding spins the projectile, but falls away after the slug leaves the barrel... So yes, in olden days, round balls were the projectiles used in both pistols, and smooth bore muskets, and even rifles... A better understanding of the flight dynamics of bullets gave a different shape to them, but they are still referred to as round, and I think that is due to the shape of bullets originally, but the sequence of loading and firing, beginning and ending as it does in the same place, a cycle, may well be considered a round, but I think this conclusion is unlikely...

Excellent!

0 Replies