Heart Attack-Self-Help

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK ALONE
Let's say it's 6:15 p.m.
and you're driving home (alone of course), after an unusually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated. Suddenly, you start
experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw.You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home; unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. What can you do? You've been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course neglected to tell you how to perform it on yourself. Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, this article seemed to be in order.
Without help, the person whose heart stops beating properly and who
begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and
very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough. The cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. And a cough must be repeated about every 2
seconds without let up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be
beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.
From Health Cares, Rochester General H
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,032 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 03:52 pm
I've heard about this coughing thing, but not the details, thanks Dys. I wonder how well it works, what the stats are, how many lives it'll save, etc.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 03:54 pm
dys- I had read that a while back. I think that it is good that you posted it here. One never knows when a heart attack might happen to them. It is wise to be prepared. Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:19 pm
I had never heard that before.

I hope I never find myself in that circumstance.

Thanks for posting.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:22 pm
I've seen this before as well and one could never see it enough. Thanks Dys ;-)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:23 pm
Wow! News to me!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:25 pm
I've read that this is an urban legend of sorts, AND have read that it is true. Have no pro or con knowledge myself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:33 pm
Well, after looking around the net, I think that I will call 911, and keep coughing!

Quote:
Other doctors say they're aware of the "cough CPR" technique but would only advise it under very specific circumstances. For example, in certain cases where a patient has abnormal heart rhythms, coughing can help normalize them, according to Dr. Stephen Bohan of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. However, most heart attacks are not of this type. Dr. Bohan says the best course of action for a typical heart attack victim is to immediately take an aspirin (which helps dissolve blood clots) and call 911.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcpr.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:35 pm
Given that I don't usually drive with aspirin or phone accessible, it's nice to know I've got another possible option.

Thanks, dys.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:48 pm
Thanks for the info. If I find myself in this predicament, I'll just start coughing...what do I have to lose?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:50 pm
Think I'm gonna throw a few aspirin in my purse. Thank you as well Phoenix.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:10 am
Please call 911 and have the medical experts help you.
0 Replies