Harry Morgan dead

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
I thought he died several years ago. I suppose he was retired instead. I loved him in M*A*S*H* but I loved him in many other roles besides. He was Henry Fonda's sidekick in Oxbow Incident. I first noticed him in the TV show December Bride. In High Noon, he was of the cowardly town folk. Too many to recount. Adios, Harry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,686 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I liked him very much. He lived to a ripe old age, didn't he?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:57 pm
Ah, dear Harry, edgar.

http://media.cleveland.com/ent_impact_people/photo/harry-morgan-diedjpg-a26766773a955b9a.jpg

and the theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjV4nHYoj48&feature=related
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:01 pm
Before he played Colonel Potter, he appeared on MASH as General Steele.

An inspection by the strict Major General Bartford Hamilton Steele[n 4] puts the 4077th on edge. The final straw comes when he orders the unit to move the camp closer to the front to be more economical and to show that a M*A*S*H unit should be mobile. On an inspection tour of the new site, Steele orders Blake to follow general military protocol in saluting him, contradicting the specific protocol not to do so when in sight of the enemy. They are promptly shot at by snipers. Steele gives Blake and Burns a choice between fighting or having lunch (Blake and Burns choose lunch). When Hawkeye sends a chopper off with a patient instead of letting the general use it to scout the new site, Steele calls for a court martial for Pierce and Blake. When Steele asks the African-American chopper pilot for a musical number and then demonstrates by dancing around singing Mississippi Mud, the Army hurriedly closes the court-martial, and Steele is sent back to the United States, where he is promoted to Lieutenant General and placed in charge of Northeast Asia.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 11:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
He also played town mayors in several of those Jim GArner westerns like "Support your local gunfighter".

Dragnet was so lame that even HArry was laughing up his sleeve.

He was ina Twilight Zone episode too I believe
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:07 am
Quote:
Emmy Award-winning actor Harry Morgan, who played the crusty yet sympathetic Col. Sherman T. Potter in the sitcom "MASH" and the hard-nosed LAPD Officer Bill Gannon in the television drama "Dragnet," died Wednesday. He was 96.

Morgan died at his home in Brentwood after a bout with pneumonia, his daughter-in-law, Beth Morgan, told the Associated Press.

Morgan's eight-year run on "MASH," the pinnacle of his seven-decade acting career, began when he was 60 and had already appeared on the Broadway stage, in dozens of television shows and more than 50 films.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-harry-morgan-20111115,0,5809818.story
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:28 am
One of those actors that seems to turn up in minor roles in a million things (for over 60 years) his list at IMDB is long

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604702/

I hope he enjoyed his life and so did those close to him. Vale.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 10:43 am
He will be missed, a long career, a long life, I enjoyed his appearances in Mash, Dragnet and elsewhere.
0 Replies