Is "Strolling through the exhibit" an good expression? (written properly?)

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 12:33 am

Does it sound native?

Context:

Wilem de Kooning, regarded as one of the most prolific American artists of the twentieth century, grounded himself in the Abstract Expression movement. The AbEx movement is widely associated and recognized with the drip paintings of Jackson Pollock, but it is de Kooning who is the star of this show. The exhibit occupying MoMA’s sixth floor spans de Kooning’s nearly forty years of painting.

In the 1980′s, de Kooning was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, and his painting career ceased by the end of the decade. He passed away in 1997. Strolling through the exhibit largely plays as a visual timeline of de Kooning’s life as he constantly develops and redefines his style. Large canvas are around every corner and line each wall. Notable paintings include “Excavation” and “Woman V,” both considered among his most ambitious and greatest pieces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 558 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:57 am
I would use exhibition. An exhibit is just one item in a collection.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 03:54 am
It can be one item. It can also be the whole collection (notice they also talk about the exhibit occupying the whole floor in the previous paragraph). Either one works, I'd say.

It's "A good expression" (as opposed to "an")(not capitalized)
contrex

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 04:07 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

It can be one item. It can also be the whole collection (notice they also talk about the exhibit occupying the whole floor in the previous paragraph).

I agree.
oristarA

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 06:06 am
Thanks
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 08:32 am
In this sentence, "Strolling through the exhibit" is the noun phrase of the sentence.

Much like the structure: Laughing out loud in a theater is not allowed.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:32 pm
@contrex,

I don't agree. It's not used that way here, I think.

"Strolling through the exhibits" would be okay to me. I would not care to replace "exhibition" with "exhibit".
0 Replies