Back in the days of family values, when abortion was illegal

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:53 am
Your erroneous assumption that i've lost control is part and parcel of your consistently over-the-top attitude to any one not imbued with what you take to be your wisdom Frank. No less than i expect from you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:55 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Reading the first post, I suspected that there was a political statement being made about a controversial topic. If that is true, I believe that the thread ought to have been started on the politics board, but I thought it polite to ask to make sure.

I understand.

But you used the same tactic Greyfan did -- rather than being direct, you used subtlty.

Let me refresh your memory.

Your original post was:

Quote:
Not sure if you are trying to make a point or merely posting something of historical interest.

Then later you tell us:

Quote:
My overall point, however, is that if this is a political comment on a very controversial topic, it might be better placed on the politics board.

Well, Brandon, if the second statement was actually your intent -- your first statement was a very subtle way of imparting it.

(Frankly, I enjoyed your first statement more than the second, because I like that technique.)

So, my comment was in order.

Sorry Set had to get involved in order to do his usual "Frank is wrong" bit...and sorry if I was more forceful than I should have been.

But what I was saying was also a subtle dig. I think you knew what Greyfan was getting at -- but instead of simply telling him that you thought it more appropriate for this kind of sentiment to be in the political arena rather than the historical -- you hedged.

If we can get past this -- I'd love it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:55 am
sigh
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:57 am
Setanta wrote:
Your erroneous assumption that i've lost control is part and parcel of your consistently over-the-top attitude to any one not imbued with what you take to be your wisdom Frank. No less than i expect from you.

Yeah, sure.

A lesson on attitude and how to be courteous from Setanta!

Jeez!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:58 am
You came in to a thread which had not had any controversy, and began with an observation that Brandon was not thinking very carefully. So, "buddy," you get out of the experience what you've put into it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:06 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Brandon9000- I think that the quotes could be discussed on many levels, both from a historical, political, and even a religious viewpoint.

Although this is not widely known, I allow my friends to drop the 9000 from my name and use the more familiar, "Brandon." :-)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:15 am
Setanta wrote:
You came in to a thread which had not had any controversy, and began with an observation that Brandon was not thinking very carefully. So, "buddy," you get out of the experience what you've put into it.

Another attempt at a lecture on courtesy from Setanta.

This is so cute!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:18 am
Not a lecture, just an observation, and one to the point. A point you are not likely to take, as addicted as you are to looking down your nose at others who post here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:18 am
are you two just going to keep going?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:28 am
Setanta wrote:
Not a lecture, just an observation, and one to the point. A point you are not likely to take, as addicted as you are to looking down your nose at others who post here.

And yet another shot -- complete with a denial of the obvious.

Are there no limits to how far you will go to entertain me, Set?

This truly is hilarious.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:31 am
Frank & Setanta- Please chill. If you guys want to throw insults at each other, please do not do it on a thread. This is an interesting subject, and it is unfair to hijack it. CEASE & DESIST! Thank you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:39 am
Lil'_Kay, i've made my point, and am willing to let it go. I would highly recommend the books i've listed to those with an interst in what life was like in centuries gone by. One of the frustrating things about reading history is the difficulty in gleaning information about how people lived--it is too often concerned with "great men" and "great events."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:47 am
Phoenix, I've made my point and I am willing to let it go.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:33 pm
I haven't been sitting on the sidelines waiting for the smoke to clear --although it might look that way. Truth is, I don't make it to able2know every day, although I try. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted this when I knew I would be away from the computer for the next forty-eight hours, but what's done is done.

I didn't really have a political point to make, beyond that which has been stated; the "good old days" were not as good as many of us have been led to believe, or assumed.

Although the statistics suggest things to me in line with my own politics, particularly concerning abortion and morality, I don't think they prove anything by themselves. They provide grist for many mills and I would expect interpretations to vary widely.

I think they paint a picture of a past more grim than I imagined, and I thought others would be surprised as well, regardless of the significance one ultimately assigns them.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:59 pm
I think that you're making an oblique statement supporting abortion, and I, personally believe that it should have occurred on the Politics board. I don't believe that it's a good idea to try to argue a political point on an extremely controversial topic on the History board, disguised as a simple historical presentation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:03 pm
Brandon - if you haven't already, perhaps you'd like to start a thread on the politics board about the subject as you perceive it?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:24 pm
It's a man thing, girls.

Hey Deb. You are right on target about the death of infants as a result of not holding and loving a child. I think the term for it is marasmus, but I'll have to check.

Greyfan, there was also a high mortality rate among mothers, too. Remember child bed fever? Quite frankly, my friend, I, on first reading, thought perhaps you were suggesting we needed to go back to the good old days of family values with an anti-abortion stance.

Clear communication is so important.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:29 pm
It is rather ironic that the woman who penned the lines now inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, give me your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free . . . , died of childbed fever at the age of 28. I believe it was her third live birth. It was precisely such situations which lead a young Margaret Sanger to make planned parenthood her life's crusade.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon - if you haven't already, perhaps you'd like to start a thread on the politics board about the subject as you perceive it?

Actually, ehBeth, my motivation to object to locating it here is that, having discussed it a number of times in my life, I would rather not discuss it any more, and feel that I should not encounter it on the History board.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:37 pm
Hoorah for Margaret! And without checking, I do believe that Lister was the man who simply asked that physicians wash their hands after autopsies before examining their women patients who were in the process of delivery, or post delivery.

I have really learned so much on A2K today. I reviewed the multiple meanings stemming from the word "collocate". Found out the etymology of swashbuckler.
0 Replies