Barney Frank, gay liberal icon, announces he will not run for reelection

Ragman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 05:29 pm
@roger,
It came inside a Box of Rain, tinged with a touch of grey.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 07:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Just give the thread a thumbs up and that will uncollapse it again for you.

The report function automatically thumbs down a thread or post when you report it.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:33 am
@Butrflynet,
Already uncollapsed, Butr. Thnx but I had already figgered that out.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:11 am
Is his retirement connected to the relaunch of the muppet show?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:42 am
@Lustig Andrei,
What is it that made Barney so successful in Washington?
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:55 am
@rosborne979,
he's smart and has a real talent for leading and was a champion of the causes in his constituency.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:00 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

he's smart and has a real talent for leading and was a champion of the causes in his constituency.
I guess so. How come we can't get one of those to represent the middle of the road, and well balanced views in politics Wink
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:03 am
@rosborne979,
You have to help campaign for one of them and help get them elected. If you ever got involved with a campaign, it can be rewarding. I did and for a moment in time I felt proud about something I did that made a difference politically.

Rembemer that for the most part, the constituency for Barney Frank was similar or the same as the one that Teddy Kennedy and Tip O'Neill had covered - very liberal and generally blue collar.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:16 am
@Ragman,
Barney Frank was abrasive in many ways. I know he was smart, but it's harder to see what makes a guy like that a good leader.
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:22 am
@rosborne979,
In case you are unaware...from 2007 to 2011, Frank served as chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, where he remains the ranking Democrat. That means he has a lot of power. People who have that sort of power often times get there because they're smart and work hard. You have to admire a dedicated worker, which he is/was.

So he was abrasive? In politics that can be an asset, especially if you are smart as he is. You may be allowing your dislike for his liberal politics from your objectivity. You might have said the same for the late Teddy Kennedy. Tip O'Neill certainly had his abrasive side but he knew when to play nice.

The bottom line is that he convinced and led his fellow legislators, was effective for his constituency and was a champion for their causes.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:12 am
@Lustig Andrei,

Slobbering liberal call it quits
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 05:42 pm
This says it well:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/284273/exit-barney-frank-editors
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 06:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
OTOH, Newt Gingrich or Herman Cain is/are far better shining examples of leadership?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 08:32 pm
@Ragman,
Why the other hand?

This is a thread about Frank, not Gingrich or Cain.
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 08:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, I see. You are doubling as the OP? This is a thread about American politics and the current election cycle. See the OP topic? Are you the thread police?

It certainly is no stretch of the imagination to discuss other leading legislators and their relative qualities and/or merits. If it is a problem for you feel free to scroll on past.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 09:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Great article. Here's the whole text;

Quote:
Exit Barney Frank

Rep. Barney Frank will be remembered for three things: First, he was not only the first openly gay member of Congress but the first involved in a gay-prostitution scandal. Second, he said, “I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness” regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as exercised with regard to other government-affiliated agencies, preferring, as he memorably put it, to “roll the dice a little bit.” Third, he was co-author of the Frank-Dodd financial-reform legislation. Which is to say, Representative Frank will be remembered as an embarrassment, a reckless gambler, and a legislative malefactor.

Representative Frank was not much of a crusader on gay-rights issues, which was just as well. On the substance of those issues, he was on the wrong side. As a symbol, he was toxic — a powerful politician whose homosexual orientation was hardly the most remarkable feature of his private life, which included involvement with a gay hustler and convicted drug dealer whom the congressman was paying for sex, and who ended up running a prostitution operation out of the congressman’s home. Representative Frank was reprimanded by the House for making misleading statements to a Virginia prosecutor on behalf of the prostitute — whom the congressman eventually put on his own payroll — and for having fixed dozens of parking tickets on his behalf. Americans are broadly tolerant of homosexuality; they are rightly less tolerant of prostitution and political corruption. The congressman’s self-pitying account of the episode made the bad situation worse.

But though his private life spilled over into his public duties, it is as a champion of a different kind of pay-for-play operation, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, that the congressman did the most damage to the country. The government-backed mortgage giants were at the center of the housing bubble and the subsequent financial crisis. Representative Frank was a stalwart defender of the organizations, even after the government uncovered “extensive” fraud at Fannie Mae and found that Freddie Mac had illegally channeled funds to its political benefactors. Again, Representative Frank’s personal life intruded into the story: He was sexually involved with a Fannie Mae executive during a time when he was voting on laws affecting the organization. The final cost of the Fannie/Freddie bailouts will run into the hundreds of billions of dollars, and the real damage that the organizations did to the U.S. economy — and the world economy, for that matter — probably is incalculable.

In response to a financial crisis in which he was a significant figure, Representative Frank helped to craft a financial-reform law that bears his name. The drafting of Dodd-Frank began as a punitive measure, evolved into a dispensary of political favors, and in the end did little or nothing to address the problems that led to the 2008–09 crisis or to prevent similar crises in the future. Which means that we may have Barney Frank partly to thank not only for the last financial crisis but for the next one.

From his relatively petty transgressions related to his personal life to his more consequential role in enabling Fannie and Freddie, Representative Frank personifies a great deal of what is wrong with American public life. Though a highly intelligent man, he made the wrong decisions at every turn, and compounded his policy errors with the petty and vindictive style of his politics. Republicans will not miss him. Neither should his Democratic colleagues, his constituents, or the American public that will be paying off the cost of his errors and those of his allies, with interest, for a great many years. We hope that he will find in the obscurity of retirement the grace and wisdom that eluded him as an elected official, but we do not assume that it will be so.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 09:34 pm
@Ragman,
You didn't like the linked article and so rather than respond to it critically you throw out a non-sequitor.

What does the leadership qualities of Cain and Gingrich have to do with Frank's career?

Perhaps if you argued that either of them, like Frank, helped tank the economy there might be relevance, but you didn't, and you can't.

I'm not a big fan of either Gingrich or Cain, but I don't see how you can make a credible case that either of them has less leadership ability then Frank.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion, that both Cain and Gingrich were no better or were worse, in terms of leadership, than Frank. How does that support a claim that Frank excelled in leadership, or didn't have a career that did more harm than good?

You can write whatever you'd like, and so can I. I can scroll past your comments just as you can scroll past mine. Spare me the "thread police" red herring.
Ragman

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 07:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Wrongly you assumed that I read your link. Once again, I'll repeat ... this is a political thread that is also about the current election cycle. Take a look around on A2K and take notice of the dynamics of discussions.

That being said, however, I did read your last comment and went back and read your link. And I commend you as you made a sound rebuttal.

Carry on.
0 Replies