Non-hobby person's activity to keep busy

Linkat

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 07:54 pm
Anyone have suggestions for an activity/activities for some one to keep busy or just plain old do?

My dad has no activities or hobbies. He is currently fighting lung cancer which isn't bothering him, however, other health issues do casue him pain. He is also in a rehab hospital and does nothing - so he is getting depressed.

He needs to do something to keep occupied besides just laying down - he isn't allowed to get up without a nurse, so he can't even walk or be in a wheel chair other than the 20 minutes or so a day they "walk" him.

He hasn't even been reading - I did order a book that I thought would entertain him enough, but besides that I can't come up with anything. Any thoughts?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 08:01 pm
@Linkat,
Good question and idea. Tell us more about him - does he like games at all?

on a more primal note, does he like fuzzy things, would he like to see your doggie? Something he could pet?

Does he like to be touched? Many old people are not touched or hardly ever.
Many might shy away, as there is a self protective thing that happens.
Did he ever like a massage - thinking of a light one... (or that might be very annoying).
engineer

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 08:11 pm
@Linkat,
Puzzles: Has he tried Sudoku or Ken Ken? Something different than cross words might inspire him.

Reading: If he hasn't latched on to the books you've brought him, try a different genre. Maybe mysteries or detective novels or sci fi.

TV: I hear those Ken Burns documentaries are pretty good.

I-pod: You could download radio shows like This American Life or show him how to do it.

Internet: Get him a laptop and an A2K account.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 08:27 pm
Get him a smartphone or a tablet computer. Download some games-- I hear Angry Birds is addictive. Does he like music? Put MP3s of some of his favorite groups on it. Is he of the Big Band era, or more recent stuff? Listening to music is great for zoning out and can lessen pain. If he's old enough to remember them, you can download free copies of old time radio drama, andventures, Westerns, and comedies.

Or as engineer says, get him an a2k account, some of the posters here are certain to get his blood roused up, no matter what his political leanings are, and inspire him to take an interest in making scathing retorts and living to put down for good and all that irritating jerk whose post he just read.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:40 am
@ossobuco,
I would say not the touching kind. Funny about the dog - he acts like he doesn't like pets - but then my white kitty (the one that passed away) would come and sit on his lap whenever he was over our house.

The dog too seems to like him.

He isn't a puzzle/game sort of person - but he does like the Red Sox -

I also bought him some sort of toy that requires you to put it together - to make him do something. It is a sponge bob toy. He used to do some crafty stuff - like painting wooded things and then put them in the yard or give them away.

But he doesn't do that any more.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:42 am
@engineer,
I was thinking about getting him a laptop - but I can't afford to do that. At one time he used to go on the computer, but says he can't sit in that position too long.

He'd go on the internet and try to find out what was ailing him.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:44 am
@MontereyJack,
That's all I'd need to have him on here - I would have to pretend I was some one else.

Believe it or not - the Rolling Stones is a band he likes. Although he tends towards 50s music.

I'll have to see prices for some of those things you mentioned.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 12:01 pm
@Linkat,
a refurbished laptop is less than $200 most places, if you start looking.

he won't be doing things that will require a state of the art model.

there is a glut of used older laptops out there...
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 12:42 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I also bought him some sort of toy that requires you to put it together - to make him do something. It is a sponge bob toy. He used to do some crafty stuff - like painting wooded things and then put them in the yard or give them away.

What about models that he'd have to put together and paint?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
You might find some things of interest to him on this site:

www.bitsandpieces.com/

Also, what about the painting? You could buy some paints and some forms for him to paint at a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

You could suggest he paint them to give as holiday gifts to the family and his nursing home neighbors and care givers.

Here's a page of paintable ceramic forms at Hobby Lobby:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/crafts/paintable-surfaces/ceramics/default.aspx?F_All=Y

What about scrapbooking? The family probably has lots of photos in need of a scrapbook. Buy some scrapbooking supplies and let him get creative with it. Those too would make great holiday gifts for him to give the family and he'd get to visit memory lane at the same time.

Here's Hobby Lobby's scrapbooking page:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/scrapbooking/
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Problem being $200 is too much more me.

My budget would be under $100.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:27 pm
@boomerang,
That is a possibility. I'll take a look to see what is now out and about.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
Some great ideas too. He used to get that kind of stuff at AC Moore - maybe we could interest it in him again. It seems he plays around with something and either gets bored with it or some how physically it bothers him.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:31 pm
@Linkat,
still worth a look.

I could buy one for $100 here...

boomers model idea is a good one, if he is interested.

wally's has a models section that is decent and very cheap.

under $10 each, and a selection of paint and glue.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah - I figure if I buy him a bunch of little odd ball type things - like the humor book, the sponage bob toy and maybe a model and a basebally type of thing - he could have a few things to choose from.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 02:09 pm
@Linkat,
Here are some ideas from that bits and pieces site -- all under $20.

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/images/400/46232_1.jpg
Food & Fold Animal Placemats

Over 50 paper placemats in a variety of 5 different animals with easy to follow folding instructions printed directly onto the mat. Let the creative fun begin! Mats measure 15" x 11½".

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/images/400/45196_1.jpg

Build Your Own Gear Clock Kit

This Do-It-Yourself clock is not only fun, it’s educational! Help your child assemble the clock with the easy-to-follow instructions, while you learn how the gears in a clock actually work! Includes 33 plastic pieces. This item measures 7” x 1-1/4” x 7”.

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/images/400/46331_1.jpg
Cheering Basketball Game

Clip it to a waste container or door, make a basket and hear the roaring cheers. Measures 7" x 5-1/8". Requires 3 “AA” batteries, not included.

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/images/400/47076_1.jpg
Play That Tune Keychain Game

Follow the prompt by this clever piano and match the notes it plays to move to the next level. It’s a frantic and fun game of quick thinking and lightning fast reaction. Test your memory and concentration as the game proceeds to more difficult and faster song and light repetitions. Comes with keychain, 3 level game mode and play the piano mode. Great for all ages. 3 “LR44” button batteries included. Measures 2-3/4" x 1-3/8" x 7/8". Instructions included.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 02:12 pm
Oh! Cards! My mom has this poker game that she just loves to play. It's a little handheld deal that has a couple of different games. I just bought her a new one to send for Christmas this year.

They make lots of different card games.
engineer

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 02:20 pm
Following the kit theme, there are numerous robot kits if he is technically oriented and can handle the detail work. Most are pretty cheap and will soak up hours of time. Upscale model ships are also big time wasters and don't require anything but glue and patience.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 03:07 pm
@boomerang,
Oh sweet - my dad used to play cards. I also think the clock looks cool.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 03:08 pm
@engineer,
patience huh - maybe not the ideal gift...robots sound fun though.

Wait a minute - I like this stuff for myself!