Have you ever had a jealous parent?

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:28 am
I am a family oriented person. I also am loyal. When my parents divorced at age 17, it made me take a closer look at how to know if one is married to the right personWhen I got engaged at age 26, my mother became very jealous. Now, it is three years later and she is still trying to get revenge on me. I suspect she is being told incorrect ideas from family or even her psychologist. By the way, I had to get married in city hall without her or my dad there and am happily married three years.
In the beginning of November, she called me, had visited her neice on a trip, came back, I asked for some gas money, she screamed at me stating whatever myself and my husband need, it is our fault, we deserve bad life etc. She told me she didnt care about us. She then mailed me a gift card she received from a friend she said she didnt like. So we made do with our situation and disconnected our cell phone as we were tight with money temporarily , no contract cell.
We had a nice Thanksgiving, had a simple meal at home. In the evening this so called mom left me a message, asking me if I had a meal to eat. I have no idea if she is like this from her medications. She seems to not be able to decide on anything so we suspect she is a schitzo. We dont know. We had asked her not to call here or not to write if she really believes she doesnt care. Now, I got a phone call from a "friend" of hers, who says your mother was worried about you. I didnt answer. I am struggling because it seems all she does is spread lies to people. I accept I no longer have a mother, but now, it has turned into harassmment. I find it hard to go on as I normally would when I have to consider taking time to get a new phone number, get a new email, the person will not leave me alone at all. And my husband who is very smart and good with people said all she wants to do is start trouble, bring people down. I am concerned I will eventually have to change my name or go to great lenths to hide. We are all entitled to our freedoms and I am feeling unsure of my own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 10:01 am
@Leah5454,
My deepest sympathies on such a predicament. IMHO, there's not a lot more you can do other than what you ARE already doing. It really sounds like you are doing the right things.

You're far better off letting a bit of time go by before you initiating any contact. She seems quite toxic in her behavior, whatever her diagnosis is or was. She is horribly hurtful and not healthy. You need to protect yourself and your loved ones from contact with her. You might consider instructing any of her 'friends' not to call you either.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:41 pm
@Leah5454,
It sounds as if you and your husband have a lot of love. Could it be that she is jealous of that connection rather than you personally...

It's horrible for a child to be put down by a parent, no one deserves a bad life.

I always think when someone says something hurtful, it is because they are hurt. To the back that up by sending a gift, "claiming they don't like it" is an apology.

Same with the concern if you had food for Thanksgiving and having a friend then call as well.

You don't say anything about your Dad, only that they both were not at your wedding.

We can not choose our parents, but often we don't see what they went through in their life which may reflect their actions. She may be jealous of not being loved like you are, by your husband.

Sometimes the best way to ease pain is to find out the truth, then make your decisions... Maybe she is nuts and that's the reason, if so, then you can acknowledge that and move on. But, maybe it's that she never felt loved and in her state, sometimes lets the hurt out, if that was the case, maybe you could find some good things that she did for you as a child, remember those and see if you could bring it in you to bond again with her.

Only you really know that.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:53 pm
@Leah5454,
What you don't mention, is whether your mother's behavior has always been erratic, or this type of behavior is something new.
People don't generally change drastically, what that something is wrong. You mentioned her medications, could this warrant further investigation?
If you are so ready to cut her out of your life, there must be something here that you're not telling us. Why would you need to hide from her, are you not able to set boundaries?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 06:36 am
Your mother sounds like she has MANY issues going on - and you are just one of them. I don't know if she is jealous of you, but for sure, she has a tough time interacting with you, as an adult.

Try to distance yourself from her and go on with your life.

Life is short. Concentrate on improving yourself.

I know it hurts to have a parent act so bizaare. But she is sick.

Forgive her and move on . . .

0 Replies